Challenge Cup 2017-18

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

On a scale of 1 to Linfield, just how staunch are Crusaders? I want to know how much I need to give a shit about this game.

Crues are Working Mans' Club team from a loyalist area in North Belfast. Always had Catholics playing for the us throughout the troubles, including a squad of 'free-staters' in the 90s. Fans are more interested in the match and the beer than what foot you kick with! :)

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Imagine the embarrasment if Raith's new look team were humped out the cup by the players who got them relegated last season. You would probably be as well folding. 

Expect Vaughan to pick up a knock in the lead up to this game, it must be too hard for him to line up against the heros who revived his career.

There are two potential outcomes here which would be the final straw for me:

Chris Johnston tormenting our defence

Mark Stewart beating our offside trap

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Imagine the embarrasment if Raith's new look team were humped out the cup by the players who got them relegated last season.

Will our ex players be fit? They're normally on the treatment table about this time of the season.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There are two potential outcomes here which would be the final straw for me:

Chris Johnston tormenting our defence

Mark Stewart beating our offside trap

Johnston hasn't been seen since the League Cup games and I doubt he will again. Stewart will play and actually might score, if do nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Will our ex players be fit? They're normally on the treatment table about this time of the season.

Stewart broke his elbow, Barr had a wee niggle that kept him out of one game but aside from that they've all been fit. Barr is a monster and seems to be helped by part time training. Handling is out after an operation and is probably the only one of your ex-players that won't be available.

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Imagine the embarrasment if Raith's new look team were humped out the cup by the players who got them relegated last season. You would probably be as well folding. 

Expect Vaughan to pick up a knock in the lead up to this game, it must be too hard for him to line up against the heros who revived his career.

You can always play breakup songs over the tannoy before the start of the game. In all honesty, we hit maximum embarrassment last season with Stevenson in goals, after signing him in place of Vaughan. And even then we still finished above Ayr, who should be more embarrassed than ourselves at failing to take 9th place.

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Fifty years back from there.

And yet 100 years ahead of Falkirk.

43 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Our game will 100% be on the Welsh channel  s4c which unlike alba has English commentary available via the red button. 

Would imagine alba will go for Dundee Utd v Crusaders. 

Why the f**k don't Alba do this?  Surely would increase audiences.

ETA this will be 4 out of 4 home ties in this competition.  Why can't we get that it the big cups?

Despite some of the internecine bickering on these forums, I'm sure everyone will extend condolences to the family of this man.

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crusaders-boss-pays-tribute-supporter-13731765

Dreadful for friends and family to see someone go to a game and not come home.

3 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

Crues are Working Mans' Club team from a loyalist area in North Belfast. Always had Catholics playing for the us throughout the troubles, including a squad of 'free-staters' in the 90s. Fans are more interested in the match and the beer than what foot you kick with! :)

Total failure to mention a Loyalist banner having to be taken down at a European game and the fact that your support is almost exclusively from one section of the community, but sure that's only Linfield, isn't it? Oh wait, we had a squad of them free-staters too, and African Catholics. :P

Anyway, good luck in the next round.

I'm off to watch our game at Dundee United later this evening.

59 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

And yet 100 years ahead of Falkirk.

I dont know why they would do it and I dont really understand why S4C do. Surely the point of these channels is to promote use of the language and showing these games should hopefully force general population to listen to and take an interest in Welsh / Gaelic. Offering an English language alternative for me just completely defeats the purpose.

I agree it would be good if they offered that option but I'd be amazed if it increased audiences. If folk aren't tuning in to watch football because the commentary isn't in English then they are complete fannies.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont know why they would do it and I dont really understand why S4C do. Surely the point of these channels is to promote use of the language and showing these games should hopefully force general population to listen to and take an interest in Welsh / Gaelic. Offering an English language alternative for me just completely defeats the purpose.

This... their sports coverage is intended to inflate viewing figures with non-Gaelic watchers.

With an English commentary, what'd be Gaelic about it?

Archived