Challenge Cup 2017-18

I really don't get the criticism from supporters of Championship sides.  This is a great competition for such clubs if they approach it correctly.

I'm a critic of McKinnon but his approach to this competition has been spot on.  On Saturday we had three first team players in the line up all of whom needed game time, the rest were young lads.  Great way to help young players in what, for them, is a real competition and is played as such.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the changes to the league cup IMO this is one competition too many. The league cup should be varied to include all highland and lowland league sides This will give revenue down to the lowland and highland league. Top league teams only entering after the group stages. This IMO would be a better option.

I really don't get the criticism from supporters of Championship sides.  This is a great competition for such clubs if they approach it correctly.
I'm a critic of McKinnon but his approach to this competition has been spot on.  On Saturday we had three first team players in the line up all of whom needed game time, the rest were young lads.  Great way to help young players in what, for them, is a real competition and is played as such.

It's you guys, I want in the next round to be fair. Preferably at Tannadice.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It isn't just the Scottish teams, either. Ironically, I have just published an article with Linfield pair Janie Mulgrew and Stephen Lowry who are both delighted to get the chance to face new sides, teams they claim are bigger and better than theirs. 

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/10/linfield-pair-delighted-to-come-up-against-scottish-opposition/

I watched the United - Linfield game yesterday evening for the first time and Linfield were great in the first half but the youngsters got to grips a little bit more in the second half. What an experience that must be - playing in your first (for most of them anyway) senior match, in front of a big crowd (compared to what they play in front of) and on live TV... I don't see any negatives in it from that respect. Not all teams play their youngsters and if Falkirk and Dunfermline didn't play each other on Saturday, for example, I doubt they'd have got 4000+ fans between them at another match but due to various factors the crowd at TFS on Saturday was really good. 

I think the players and managers may be the ones who get the most out of the Irn-Bru Cup on that basis right now, rather than the supporters. 

Establishment club DUFC getting yet another home draw :thumbsdown

The only small glimmer of hope for me among this shitemare is the fact I'm in Inverness that weekend already for a rowing regatta, so might manage to take the afternoon off, depending when it's scheduled...

Can see our game being an Alba selection though.

20 minutes ago, rw89 said:

:lol: Away to play our rejects at Dumbarton. Lewis Vaughan to strike down them down with a hat-trick in a ruthless manner.

Maybe it will turn into some sort of testimonial match.

The likes of Vaughan, Dougie Hill and Mark Stewart can all swap sides at half time.

Imagine the embarrasment if Raith's new look team were humped out the cup by the players who got them relegated last season. You would probably be as well folding. 

Expect Vaughan to pick up a knock in the lead up to this game, it must be too hard for him to line up against the heros who revived his career.

Archived