Challenge Cup 2017-18

16 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Tbf I didn't say I supported the idea. But you can't argue it wouldn't improve the standard?

Statements like this are the result of the Scottish leagues vastly under selling themselves for years and the English leagues vastly over-rating their quality. People just take it in like soup and equate anything English to being better than anything Scotland could possibly muster. I fail to see how a shitey non-league team adds anything other than "meh" to the standard of our already dwindling cup with the introduction of anti-football sides from Welsh seaside towns.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, liam_barnett said:

Also confirmed for the Saturday at 3pm ....

This is not 100% true, it has been agreed by both clubs that this time may be 'tweaked' a bit ie could be 1pm could be 5pm, depending on what travel arrangements the Crues can finalize, definately on the Saturday afternoon though :)

22 hours ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

...Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides...

I struggled to get through this utter abomination of a post and when I got to this point I nearly smashed up my computer such was my anger at the drivel you are coming out with.

It's not the responsibility of Dumbarton, Peterhead, Airdrie etc. to ensure that the youth players at Rangers, Celtic, and Aberdeen get better and maybe one day get to play for Scotland. Why the f'ck should lower league teams allow their competitions to get watered down because teams higher up the league structure don't bother themselves to play these "up and coming" youngsters in the first team?

ETA: I see the other posts about getting English sides in to improve the competition. F'ck it, lets see if some German or Spanish sides fancy a wee jaunt to Montrose next season.

Jesus Christ, it's a Scottish football competition for Scottish sides. No colts, no Irish, Welsh or Zimbabwean sides.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I struggled to get through this utter abomination of a post and when I got to this point I nearly smashed up my computer such was my anger at the drivel you are coming out with.

It's not the responsibility of Dumbarton, Peterhead, Airdrie etc. to ensure that the youth players at Rangers, Celtic, and Aberdeen get better and maybe one day get to play for Scotland. Why the f'ck should lower league teams allow their competitions to get watered down because teams higher up the league structure don't bother themselves to play these "up and coming" youngsters in the first team?

It's clearly total nonsense, anyway. Despite 12 "B" teams entering in each of 2 seasons they've won a total of 14 ties (and one of those was against another "B" team :lol:). Within that they've beaten 2x SPFL1 and 6x SPFL2 - some of which fielded weakened teams (Clyde virtually fielded their own U20s); 2x HL; plus 3x LL (of which 2 were over Stirling University).

Around half lose in R1. Only Celtic "B" last season made past R2. Do we really think that in 5yrs time players are going to be making their Scotland debuts and telling the interviewers "well, yeh ken, I'd never have made it if it wasn't for getting humped out in the First Round of the Irn Bru Cup a few years back".

Plus this season upto 2 have been "over-agers", too!

I think the Irn Bru Cip is a great idea. 
1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy. 
2) Scottish Clubs who never get to play outside of Berwick or Scotland get to play different nations's sides. 
3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.
In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona play B teams in the lower divisions. They do the same in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 
Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides. 
The problems with the trophy, that could be fixed. 
A) Increase the travel expenses, from the sponsors. 
B) Allow teams in from the English non league system, they have tonnes of money down there. 
C) Allow every Highland and Lowland League side in.
D) Allow teams from Cornwall and the Isle of Man in.  
The travel issue raised is over the top. 
  • People complain about travelling from Elgin to Ireland. Well look at the distances clubs in Australia, Russia, and Brazil they have to do. And we complain about travelling for 1 day, to Ireland. When many fans themselves often travel from Ireland to Glasgow for Celtic and Rangers every two weeks, just to watch a game. 
  • Look at the fans of big clubs all over the UK, who get thousands of fans doing just as big distances just to watch their team. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Wick every two weeks in the Highland League. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Ross County, and Inverness every away trip. 
I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides, and selected teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Or a proper Celtic Cup, with all Scottish Premier sides, that would help Wales, and the two Irelands. 
So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup.

You missed a trick by not mentioning summer football or league reconstruction there, mate

4 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

This is not 100% true, it has been agreed by both clubs that this time may be 'tweaked' a bit ie could be 1pm could be 5pm, depending on what travel arrangements the Crues can finalize, definately on the Saturday afternoon though :)

Bit misleading on Twitter then:

On 9/6/2017 at 12:11, BACKOFTHENET said:

1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy. 

2) Scottish Clubs who never get to play outside of Berwick or Scotland get to play different nations's sides. 

3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.

In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona play B teams in the lower divisions. They do the same in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 

Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides. 

B) Allow teams in from the English non league system, they have tonnes of money down there. 

• People complain about travelling from Elgin to Ireland. Well look at the distances clubs in Australia, Russia, and Brazil they have to do. And we complain about travelling for 1 day, to Ireland. When many fans themselves often travel from Ireland to Glasgow for Celtic and Rangers every two weeks, just to watch a game. 
  • Look at the fans of big clubs all over the UK, who get thousands of fans doing just as big distances just to watch their team. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Wick every two weeks in the Highland League. 

I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides, and selected teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Or a proper Celtic Cup, with all Scottish Premier sides, that would help Wales, and the two Irelands. 

So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup.

Quite often there is suggestions that players are put through too many games in a season, for this reason I disagree.

On 06/09/2017 at 12:11, BACKOFTHENET said:

Did I miss the Cornish independence vote that has seen them gain freedom from the rest of England,

and leading the way is all the teams in the area resigning on mass from the EFL pyramid structure and the creation of the Ginsters Cornish Super League*

*Whilst not recognised by UEFA they are hopeful for recogniton by season 18-19 and having teams entering Champions & Europa League qualifiers by 19-20.

Including English sides would be a step too far IMO,

Is it not supposed to be a Celtic tournament?

ETA: Before any smart arseholes or ignoramuses make their predictable interjections, "Celtic" is pronounced "keltic" 

1 hour ago, Big Berk said:

Including English sides would be a step too far IMO,

Is it not supposed to be a Celtic tournament?

ETA: Before any smart arseholes or ignoramuses make their predictable interjections, "Celtic" is pronounced "keltic" 

It was meant to be a cup for teams outwith the premier league in Scotland that teams taking part had some chance of winning silverware.

37 minutes ago, peternapper said:

It was meant to be a cup for teams outwith the premier league in Scotland that teams taking part had some chance of winning silverware.

that was the original B&Q Cup or whatever it was called; I was under the impression that they expended it to teams from our Celtic neihbours.

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's clearly total nonsense, anyway. Despite 12 "B" teams entering in each of 2 seasons they've won a total of 14 ties (and one of those was against another "B" team :lol:). Within that they've beaten 2x SPFL1 and 6x SPFL2 - some of which fielded weakened teams (Clyde virtually fielded their own U20s); 2x HL; plus 3x LL (of which 2 were over Stirling University).

Around half lose in R1. Only Celtic "B" last season made past R2. Do we really think that in 5yrs time players are going to be making their Scotland debuts and telling the interviewers "well, yeh ken, I'd never have made it if it wasn't for getting humped out in the First Round of the Irn Bru Cup a few years back".

Plus this season upto 2 have been "over-agers", too!

Presumably as this hasn't worked for the Colts, four or five over-agers will be allowed from next season, and, if that doesn't work........

51 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Presumably as this hasn't worked for the Colts, four or five over-agers will be allowed from next season, and, if that doesn't work........

Doncaster may think once they have taken places in the league from existing clubs that they will improve. Seriously if players are not featuring in first team squads by the time they are 20 it is unlikely they are going to develop into world beaters. A reserve team league is the answer, the development league seems to be hindering rather than helping make use of squad/players not good enough for first team selection.

37 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Quote - "We don't know the reason for the searches - that's a matter for the PSNI.

"We don't believe it to be a football-related manner."

If the searches had have taken place today, the PSNI would have been looking for Linfield's bottle..

Archived