Challenge Cup 2017-18

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Farce of this beautifully summed up in today's Times. Two referees running penalty shootouts followed different formats. So presumably the match with the wrong format will have to be replayed?

They don't reckon the result will be affected - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-probe-after-wrong-penalty-shoot-out-used-in-irn-bru-cup-tie-1-4550438

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Irn Bru Cip is a great idea. 
1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy. 
2) Scottish Clubs who never get to play outside of Berwick or Scotland get to play different nations's sides. 
3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.
In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona play B teams in the lower divisions. They do the same in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 
Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides. 
The problems with the trophy, that could be fixed. 
A) Increase the travel expenses, from the sponsors. 
B) Allow teams in from the English non league system, they have tonnes of money down there. 
C) Allow every Highland and Lowland League side in.
D) Allow teams from Cornwall and the Isle of Man in.  
The travel issue raised is over the top. 
  • People complain about travelling from Elgin to Ireland. Well look at the distances clubs in Australia, Russia, and Brazil they have to do. And we complain about travelling for 1 day, to Ireland. When many fans themselves often travel from Ireland to Glasgow for Celtic and Rangers every two weeks, just to watch a game. 
  • Look at the fans of big clubs all over the UK, who get thousands of fans doing just as big distances just to watch their team. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Wick every two weeks in the Highland League. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Ross County, and Inverness every away trip. 
I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides, and selected teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Or a proper Celtic Cup, with all Scottish Premier sides, that would help Wales, and the two Irelands. 
So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup.

Don't agree with all of this but a lot of good points.

English non league sides would indeed improve the quality of competition.

Totally agree that people moaning about the travelling is laughable. At the end of the day no ones forcing you to go!

Long term a British cup would be fantastic. Or perhaps an Atlantic cup?

One thing that is almost universal in this thread (and one area I strongly disagree with you on,) is colt teams. It crosses a red line for me, completely devalues the competition. I will never attend a colt match and it's starting to look like the 'boycotts' are sending a message.

Colt Teams GTF!

I believe replacing so called diddy cups with a grander cross border competition is potentially if huge benefit to small footballing nations but its a long term debate and this thread probably not the right place for it.

I would be very interested to see how a Scottish championship team got on in a competitive game against the likes of Wrexham, Leyton Orient, Tranmere etc which are all very big clubs.

However I don't think you could just put them into the cup in its current guise and I also doubt there would be much interest from any big National League club.

How would inviting the likes of Sutton United, Dover and Boreham Wood make things better?

Northern English clubs like Gatehead and Carlisle wouldn't be too bad and wouldn't impact on travel that much more.

I'm only really against the Colts I don't mind too much an isle of Mann team or similar. It's the novelty factor and as someone said no one is forcing people to go. The points raised are excellent one's but I need to see better points raised about expansion to other nations teams and why it shouldn't happen

Football Conference clubs have got 46 league games to get through, playoffs with the lure of promotion to the Football League, the FA Cup and the FA Trophy. Might have to play their respective Senior County Cups too, IIRC. I know they scrapped their Conference League Cup as nobody cared.

Why would they even want to join Scottish lower-league, non-league, "B" teams, Welsh and Irish sides in the Irn Bru Cup :lol:.

EDIT: Apologies, forgot the Isle of Man FA XI and "Cornwall".

Since the new system is designed to address the statistical disadvantage of going second it almost certainly affected the result. Presumably Livingston did not protest since they are glad to be out of the cup. And presumably the SPFL and the SFA don't want an investigation which would likely pin the blame on them for poor briefing of the referees.

17 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

Crues have agreed tonight to play Cove at Forfar Athletic's ground

Sensible. Better than any of the junior grounds mentioned. The game's not likely to attract a great crowd there tho.

Hmmm, I might go to it now, come to think of it....

22 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

Crues have agreed tonight to play Cove at Forfar Athletic's ground

Also confirmed for the Saturday at 3pm so I presume that the TV matches are agreed (as they know that this isn't one) & will be announced tomorrow?

S4C will clearly show TNS v Elgin.

Assuming that PremierSports have first pick (and wouldn't choose something also going out on free-to-air) they'll take Dundee Utd v Linfield.

BBC Alba would presumably then take Falkirk v Dunfermline.

Of course this assumes that, unlike the earlier rounds, all the channels actually take-up their entitlement.

The only way I can make Dundee United v Linfield is for it to be on telly on the Friday night, (Norway via London on Saturday/ Sunday), so fingers crossed. That said, the gaffer has made it quite clear in several interviews that he is prioritising the league, (European money way too tempting for a club of our size, although it would be buttons to many), so I'm not so sure I want to go and watch our fringe players getting pumped.

Archived