Challenge Cup 2017-18

17 minutes ago, LeedsPhil said:

Unless Cove are obliged to stick to a pre-declared designated ground (meaning either on the Sunday, or kicking Locos off their own ground on the Saturday), my shout would be on the plastic at Forfar. They used Station Park for their two home group games in the League Cup at the start of last season - lost 1-2 to Raith Rovers, beat Montrose 3-0.

In fact, the rules don't insist on sticking to one designated ground :

1.5.2 "Match Ground” means the Registered Ground or such other grounds and/or stadia at which the Home Club intends to play and plays a Home Match, up to a maximum of 2 in any Competition year in respect of any 1 Club/club, approval of which other grounds and/or stadia must be applied for in writing 7 days in advance of a Match to the Company;

and

4.18 In the event that the Board considers it appropriate the Board shall be entitled to schedule and/or re-schedule the date and time of any Match and to determine the venue and/or change the venue for any Match.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How often do Livingston get to do it? Who cares. It's the challenge cup. Equivalent of playing a Welsh Airdrie.

How often have Livingston played in big Cup games, including finals? FFS

How often have Livingston played in big Cup games, including finals? FFS

That wasn't the question.

A bit of context is required though. It's been a very long time since they were doing that.

It's a bit different yes but overall I can't imagine the club are thrilled about this. Be a nice wee change for the players and fans aye but hardly a big event.

They're playing a team with an average attendance of 261 and making a 16 hour round trip to play in the challenge cup. More of an inconvenience if anything surely.

6 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Agree it's not ideal but is there not at least a chance the Elgin players might enjoy this different challenge and be looking forward to it?

You wouldn't want to make the journey all the time but occasionally I don't see the issue, especially when they get £5k for the privilege.

Would be interesting to hear Elgin fans' views on this and if any are travelling for it. It doesn't clash with Scotland much.

I'll be there!

I'm not a fan of this format, but now the colts have GTF I'm happy to watch - I didn't go to our home tie against Hearts Colts last year. 

Why wouldn't I go to a ground I've not been to before to watch City - jeez it could've been Peterhead or Caley!

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:36, parsforlife said:

Tbf if any pub isn't away fan friendly it reflects pretty poorly on your club.

Bullshit.

All towns and cities have pubs that ordinary people are best not frequenting, and some pubs are much more welcoming to football fans than others.

This simple fact in no way reflects on my club or any other.

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Bullshit.

All towns and cities have pubs that ordinary people are best not frequenting, and some pubs are much more welcoming to football fans than others.

This simple fact in no way reflects on my club or any other.

There is a difference between 'away fan friendly' and 'football friendly'

You don't start singing football songs in brewers fair, but i wouldn't say they weren't  'away fan friendly'

I think the Irn Bru Cip is a great idea. 

1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy. 

2) Scottish Clubs who never get to play outside of Berwick or Scotland get to play different nations's sides. 

3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.

In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona play B teams in the lower divisions. They do the same in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 

Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides. 

The problems with the trophy, that could be fixed. 

A) Increase the travel expenses, from the sponsors. 

B) Allow teams in from the English non league system, they have tonnes of money down there. 

C) Allow every Highland and Lowland League side in.

D) Allow teams from Cornwall and the Isle of Man in.  

The travel issue raised is over the top. 

• People complain about travelling from Elgin to Ireland. Well look at the distances clubs in Australia, Russia, and Brazil they have to do. And we complain about travelling for 1 day, to Ireland. When many fans themselves often travel from Ireland to Glasgow for Celtic and Rangers every two weeks, just to watch a game. 
  • Look at the fans of big clubs all over the UK, who get thousands of fans doing just as big distances just to watch their team. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Wick every two weeks in the Highland League. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Ross County, and Inverness every away trip. 

I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides, and selected teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Or a proper Celtic Cup, with all Scottish Premier sides, that would help Wales, and the two Irelands. 

So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup.

2 minutes ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy. 

2) Scottish Clubs who never get to play outside of Berwick or Scotland get to play different nations's sides. 

3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.

In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona play B teams in the lower divisions. They do the same in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 

Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players. That is why I am passionate in my support for the colt sides. 

B) Allow teams in from the English non league system, they have tonnes of money down there. 

• People complain about travelling from Elgin to Ireland. Well look at the distances clubs in Australia, Russia, and Brazil they have to do. And we complain about travelling for 1 day, to Ireland. When many fans themselves often travel from Ireland to Glasgow for Celtic and Rangers every two weeks, just to watch a game. 
  • Look at the fans of big clubs all over the UK, who get thousands of fans doing just as big distances just to watch their team. 
  • Look at the distances traveled by Wick every two weeks in the Highland League. 

I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides, and selected teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Or a proper Celtic Cup, with all Scottish Premier sides, that would help Wales, and the two Irelands. 

So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup.

f**k off Neil, resign now.

Every cliche under the sun being rolled out here. "If you care about the Scottish international side" being a personal favourite.

Into the sea with you plz.

22 minutes ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

Good post mate, as the competion is easy to knock. 

Last year when Linfield travelled to Scotland it was something like £30 for the fans return trip (boat and coach) to Queen of the South. At Crusaders we intend to try and negotiate some sort of group travel deal that will allow us to bring as many fans as possible to Aberdeen to play Cove Rangers, it's a novelty, it's a day out, it's supporting your wee team :)

16 minutes ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

3) The colt teams playing is great for developing young players. The problem with Scottish football is big teams not giving young players a chance in competitive games. Well this cup gives young players at big sides a chance to play real sides, rather than youth teams.......

etc.

Yes good post, except that I disagree about the colt teams' involvment; I think devalue it big time.

Dodgy alias alert.

18 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

WGAF?

Some will say well why don't they play youth players in their first teams, well they don't

great insight there

and if you care about the Scottish international side you will support us doing everything we can to give young players a chance. To get good Scottish internationals we need more chances for young players.

Then play them or loan them out.

"Hey sponsors! Geez moar munny!"

"Naw"

"..."

GTF

Fair enough

No seriously, GTF.

agreed

I also think we should have proper British and Irish Cup, with Scottish Premier sides, English League One sides,

"You'll send your reserves from your League Division Three clubs? Oh, thank you, Sirs! With these haddies you are spoiling us."

So what if a Welsh or Irish side win the trophy. I would not allow them in the Scottish or League Cup, as they are the main trophies, but surely we can cope with them winning the lower tier cup. Agreed.

2 hours ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

1) We get to help our Celtic brothers, in letting them play good sides in a competitive trophy

How are the colt teams great for developing players?

How do young players benefit from getting skelped off part-time sides in front of a few hundred people?

Why could the same net effect not be achieved by loaning these players to lower league sides?

Who cares what other countries do with their league system? Spain and Germany are not good at football because they have 'B' teams in the lower leagues, they have far more coaches, who are much better and work at superb facilities.

Why on Earth would we make the competition an even bigger joke by inviting English non-league sides? 

You suggest people shouldn't worry about travelling long distances because some teams have to do it more often. Isn't this an argument for regionalisation rather than just telling teams to like it or lump it?

Archived