Challenge Cup 2017-18

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Is it acceptable for Stranraer fans to attend?
Game should be played at some Junior ground in Glasgow.
Save Stranraer the expense of bussing our players down the road and the cost of floodlights etc.
Also save any hassle with the road closure.

No matter what the outcome of tonight's match is, it's the kind of fixture which seriously devalues this competition. Yes, it's only the Challenge Cup, but it was set up for clubs outwith the top league to give them an opportunity to possibly win a national tournament. The club are publicising the fact that reduced entrance fees apply tonight, but, seriously, £10 to watch a youth team? And, not for the first time, we have arranged a match which clashes with a Scotland game on TV.

Hope we progress, but, that apart, I have no interest in this tie.

Worth nothing that Raith's chairman complained they lost money on hosting Brora Rangers in R1, albeit with the caveat the money was lost partially because season ticket holders get in for free. But there's no way we'd have had 900 or so there if they didn't.

We'll lose money again on Saturday against Ross County Colts.

How much longer can this shite continue? serious question - can teams refuse to play in the tournament, and if they did what is the likely punishment?

49 minutes ago, Paco said:

Worth nothing that Raith's chairman complained they lost money on hosting Brora Rangers in R1, albeit with the caveat the money was lost partially because season ticket holders get in for free. But there's no way we'd have had 900 or so there if they didn't.

How much longer can this shite continue? serious question - can teams refuse to play in the tournament, and if they did what is the likely punishment?

No they can't and therefore the punishment part is not applicable. They could of course not take it seriously and field their 20's etc. There is an obligation to field within reason their strongest sides so there would be some sort of penalty undoubtedly if they did.

You could of course NOT let season ticket holders in for free and charge them to attend. Half as many paying is less likely to result in a loss than pretty much none of them doing so. It is theoretically possible you could lose money hosting the tie in that event although I'd be surprised if you did so including the prize money for taking part.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

You were always going to lose money but letting season ticket holders in as part of their ticket. You would have to give Brora 40% of what a season ticket holder would have paid for admission.

Good idea for boosting the crowd but always going to be a financial hit as SD says.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No they can't and therefore the punishment part is not applicable. They could of course not take it seriously and field their 20's etc. There is an obligation to field within reason their strongest sides so there would be some sort of penalty undoubtedly if they did.

You could of course NOT let season ticket holders in for free and charge them to attend. Half as many paying is less likely to result in a loss than pretty much none of them doing so. It is theoretically possible you could lose money hosting the tie in that event although I'd be surprised if you did so including the prize money for taking part.

I'm sure Clyde fielded what couldn't have been too far away from being an under 20 side when humped by Thistle Colts in last season's competition. 

Don't understand how a governing body can tell any club which players they're allowed to select. If they're registered as players then should be no issue.

They can in England. Several clubs were fined last year for fielding weakened teams in the Checkatrade Trophy. Thankfully, to my knowledge, no such rule is in force here, but I would imagine SPFL could fine clubs if they wanted to impose one.

1 hour ago, English Wasp said:

They can in England. Several clubs were fined last year for fielding weakened teams in the Checkatrade Trophy. Thankfully, to my knowledge, no such rule is in force here, but I would imagine SPFL could fine clubs if they wanted to impose one.

I can't find a news story confirming it, but I think Dundee were fined for this in 2006? They played a Scottish Cup replay which went to extra time on a Thursday night against Hamilton and for some reason their weekend league game wasn't moved to the Sunday, meaning they had to play two games in three days. As a result, Alan Kernaghan put the youth team out on the Saturday and they lost 7-0 to Airdrie.

Allan McGraw once put out a very weakened team out at home to Falkirk (lost 2-0) because we had a Scottish Cup Quarter Final against Kilmarnock four days later. The press made noises about possible fines - he replied "I'm the manager, no-one tells me what team to pick".

7 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Crusaders at 13/10 to beat Motherwell Colts. 

If the Crues put a team out to win this is a good price.

£30 on. 

Crusaders game v Linfield on Wednesday now cancelled/postponed to a later date, so they should/could field a strong side.

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Crusaders game v Linfield on Wednesday now cancelled/postponed to a later date, so they should/could field a strong side.

Be good to see both putting out a full team against well and Spartans though they both will gave the League in mind long term owing to the European cash.

Arbroath not playing and a United home game, would usually be there, but not one of my mates that usually go home and away are attending today. Sums it up.

Crowds could be interesting today. Raith v Ross County under 20s for example. See them as similar sized clubs...

St Mirrens first team playing Hearts under 20s too..

Aberdeen under 20s v Inverness..

Hamilton under 20s v Cove could potentially be a poorer crowd than Dundee 20s v Alloa last round..

Crusaders over evens to beat Motherwell under 20s by the way? Surely worth a punt. Linfield should surely beat Spartans but it would be hilarious if they didn't. No idea what will happen with the other ties v teams from different leagues.

Archived