Challenge Cup 2017-18

No conspiracies theories at all sir, no, none whatsoever. :unsure:
We went to Parkhead FFS, so a much smaller away support at Coatbridge would surely be manageable, or did you mean Coatbridge's baggage? [emoji14]
That said, I have every sympathy as Livi got a second bite last time. I know the players were ineligible for different reasons, but BOTH were ineligible.

You've never been to coatbridge before have you.

And for the record linfield baggage is a big part of it

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not unhappy at the fact we have been put out. More the fact when it happened last year there was a replay.

Last year the offence was that bad people were tweeting about the mistake before the game had even finished as his name was on the suspended players list on the spfl website

Kicking us out was the right decision, in my opinion. It was a ridiculous mistake to make, and I'm just glad that the fine is apparently suspended - £2K is a fair whack for Rovers!

As for avoiding Linfield; that's a bit a bit of bonus. Every arsehole in Lanarkshire would have been gearing up for that one!

Kicking us out was the right decision, in my opinion. It was a ridiculous mistake to make, and I'm just glad that the fine is apparently suspended - £2K is a fair whack for Rovers!
As for avoiding Linfield; that's a bit a bit of bonus. Every arsehole in Lanarkshire would have been gearing up for that one!

I agree regarding the comments on the hell that would have been a game against the NI Plastics. What I can't understand is the disparity with the Livi decision last season. And I really hope that the board hasn't negotiated a settlement that allows a suspended fine. Let's face it : a Spartans replay is hardly a cash cow.

16 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I agree - it'd be different if you'd raked in cash from relocating numerous cup-ties against Motherwell, Rangers and Celtic to other grounds, due to the sub-standard state of your own.

Oh...

9 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

What I can't understand is the disparity with the Livi decision last season. 

There's been mention on here that Livi offered some mitigation to explain what happened. Rovers clearly had no such excuse to offer; it was an absolute fcuk-up and it would be difficult to do anything other but admit to it.

Anyway, best of luck to Spartans; hope they make a few quid.

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

I agree - it'd be different if you'd raked in cash from relocating numerous cup-ties against Motherwell, Rangers and Celtic to other grounds, due to the sub-standard state of your own.

Oh...

That cash is well gone. Coke and hookers are expensive, you know.

Oh...

You're correct, of course. What we should really have done is played in our home ground with its limited capacity and charged away fans - say - £50 a ticket. I'd have gone with that.

14 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

That cash is well gone. Coke and hookers are expensive, you know.

Thanks, I'd concluded it hadn't gone on an efficient system of internal admin anyway.

10 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

You're correct, of course. What we should really have done is played in our home ground with its limited capacity and charged away fans - say - £50 a ticket. I'd have gone with that.

Not without the away club's agreement you couldn't. Anyway I thought it wasn't all down to profit... ;)?

Is crazy this can still happen at pro or semi pro level. Surely teams can submit teamsheets and a very basic computer program can reject the lineup if any player is not eligible to play the match. 

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

In my mind it's purely down to the fact linfield are due to come to coatbridge and all the baggage that would bring with it...

I'm sure that could have been handled easily enough by making the game all-ticket and making sure it was only genuine Albion Rovers fans getting the home allocation. Given your support is comprised of people from Coatbridge who deliberately chose not to follow one of the Old Firm, you are not a Celtic mini-me like St Roch's, so why would there be a problem?

I'm sure that could have been handled easily enough by making the game all-ticket and making sure it was only genuine Albion Rovers fans getting the home allocation. Given your support is comprised of people from Coatbridge who deliberately chose not to follow one of the Old Firm, you are not a Celtic mini-me like St Roch's, so why would there be a problem?

Perhaps the away allocation may have been more of a concern...... How did it work at Palmerston last season?
Any roads, good luck to Leonidas and his chums in the next round.

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Perhaps the away allocation may have been more of a concern...... How did it work at Palmerston last season?

No concerns. Linfield sold about 500 tickets in advance and we sold another 500 or so on the day to Linfield fans and a couple of buses of Rangers fans who turned up to pay tribute to Ryan Baird, the Rangers / Linfield fan killed on the bus near Cumnock the week before. There were about 1000 away fans there but we can accommodate up to 3000 so it was no big deal. No problems on the day other than 3 Linfield fans using photocopied tickets and our team's inability on the day to force the ball past Roy Carroll until extra time!

Would love this to happen every game unfortunately doesn't work like that

6 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

I'm not unhappy at the fact we have been put out. More the fact when it happened last year there was a replay.

Last year the offence was that bad people were tweeting about the mistake before the game had even finished as his name was on the suspended players list on the spfl website

Have you ever considered that your club structured your defence to meet the desired outcome Chris? 

Archived