Challenge Cup 2017-18

35 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Our ground isn't unavailable though - it's a massive event which has absolutely nothing to do with the club. Why should we surrender possible home advantage (not that I really care) for something that isn't remotely of our own doing.

You shouldnt. But presumably the air show isnt on 9am to 10pm both days? (Is it?) It should be possible to find a weekend date and time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You shouldnt. But presumably the air show isnt on 9am to 10pm both days? (Is it?) It should be possible to find a weekend date and time.

True - sure an evening Saturday kick off would work fine. Ultimately we don't want it midweek as we have Raith the Saturday after.

17 minutes ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

1930 KO on a Tuesday night. Absolute joke again by SPFL. No thought for supporters or part time players again

What's the big deal? I've been to Links Park twice, both were midweek games. And Ayr were part-time for the most recent of these. The transport networks will be extremely busy on both the Saturday and Sunday, meaning that your team and fans would have to leave very early to get to Somerset on time, and wouldn't get out of Ayr any time soon after full time. Besides, not playing at the weekend will mean a bigger crowd and more gate money.

And it's a 19.45 kick off.

Abysmal decision if game at Ayr rearranged to midweek. Linfield knew they couldn't play at home that weekend and asked for away draw so if same with Ayr as it is Ayr show surely they should have been given away tie. Difference between us taking maybe 150 down to may be just a dozen or so

You barely take 150 fans to Gayfield ffs.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

What's the big deal? I've been to Links Park twice, both were midweek games. And Ayr were part-time for the most recent of these. The transport networks will be extremely busy on both the Saturday and Sunday, meaning that your team and fans would have to leave very early to get to Somerset on time, and wouldn't get out of Ayr any time soon after full time. Besides, not playing at the weekend will mean a bigger crowd and more gate money.

You'd think it was the other end of the planet, it's just up the road.

On 20/08/2017 at 10:13, celticcup said:

The Challenge cup revamp is a great idea, the introduction of Welsh, and Irish teams is great. If I had my way they would have all gone into the League Cup and we would have a Manx select and Truro, not in the league section but the knockout stages somehow. Also people talk about attendances being down for the Colt teams, but all cup 1st rounds have low attendances. The season Aberdeen won the league cup sending 40,000 to Parkhead, they had half their normal league attendance in the first match v Alloa of that run. Celtic and Rangers barely half fill their stadia in first rounds of cups, and even St Mirren this season had lower group stage of the league cup attendances than they had V TNS in the semis of the challenge cup last season. (Even in England league cup semis often have half full grounds on the 2 legs, and early stages for European matches for many huge teams in Europe have lower attendances than league games) The point in the Colt teams is not attendances, it is so they get experience v senior teams in competeive matches, if that just produces 1 Scotland cap over 10 years then that is good enough.  If Youth development says it is good, then East Kilbride and Formantine should be proud to be helping the Colts and the Scotland team. After all Barcelona B team won the second tier of the Spanish league, and that team went on to win the Champions League, and was the nucleas of the world cup winners, Teams like East Kilbride, and Formantine and the league two teams, are a proud thing for Scottish football, but why not make them help Scottish youth development even more.

The attendance of the Challenge cup final last season was higher than Dundee United's average for league games last season, despite it being heled away from their homke ground and being on TV, and over double St Mirren's average crowd, And so what if a foreign team wins the competition, that will just mean more prestige for if a Scottish team then wins it again, like howw the Ryder Cup was nothing to Americans till Europe beat it in the 1980s. The challenge cup is a great tourney, and the addition of these teams is great. The Scottish lower tier teams beating Irish and Welsh league teams, were probabaly Scotland's best results last season ther than Aberdeen and Celtic's results. What I can not understand is Bala went out to a Luxembourgerish team narrowly a couple of seasons ago, and normally just go out mildy to these sorts of teams, but they sometimes get good results v Scottish premier teams, then Alloa, beat Bala 4-2, what is that about Also Linfield don't get anhialated by Maltese and such teams, but then lose to Scottish 2nd and 3rd tier teams in the challenge cup. I think the Scottish challenge cup is fantasic.

I think you are a horrible, ignorant moron.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

I think you done remarkably well to read through all of that.

Absolute load of waffle.

I'll be honest, I only got as far as "East Kilbride and Formartine should be proud to be helping the Colts" which I'll concede is still further than the post deserves.

As a neutral it seems that the SPFL have had a mare yet again not just simply switching it to Links Park & even the Linfield thing is a shambles, less than 2 weeks to go & they don't know where in Scotland they will be playing while they await what the authorities are going to do about Albion Rovers fielding an ineligible player against Spartans! If they decide it needs replayed than presumably it can only be next midweek just a few days before Linfield are due to play the winners, say what you want about Linfield but their fans are travelling from Northern Ireland they deserved a bit of notice of where they're playing!

1 minute ago, liam_barnett said:

... even the Linfield thing is a shambles, less than 2 weeks to go & they don't know where in Scotland they will be playing while they await what the authorities are going to do about Albion Rovers fielding an ineligible player against Spartans! If they decide it needs replayed than presumably it can only be next midweek just a few days before Linfield are due to play the winners, say what you want about Linfield but their fans are travelling from Northern Ireland they deserved a bit of notice of where they're playing!

Rovers have been summoned to Hampden this coming Thursday at 9am, and advised to keep next Tuesday clear if a replay is required.

I do though quite agree that it should have happened quicker than that, if only due to the nature of the conditional opponent.

The deal as stated earlier is that weekend was set aside for 2nd round ties. Ayr like linfield who requested an away tie knew they were unable to play at home on Saturday or Sunday so should have also asked for an away tie

It's not the fans for me making the trek down on a Tuesday is the biggest issue. The Scottish Cup game a few years ago on a Saturday hardly attracted a large travelling support so the Challenge Cup won't attract more.

The fact that it was totally avoidable to drag the players and management down to Ayr on a Tuesday night is the bigger point to me. I would of thought the 2nd round being a Saturday opened up an open draw with the foreign teams brought in at this round.

A Sunday game or a neutral ground down that way on Saturday would of been preferred.

I do wonder with the reply to that Scottish Cup game being a midweek if Montrose insisted on it may of had a bearing on this. Only speculation mind.

Archived