Challenge Cup 2017-18

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness it is easier to get from Dundee to many places in Europe (including places in Wales) than it is to get to Dumfries.  These places are also nicer and it is easier to understand the locals.

Uh huh, To be fair, in the scheme of speaking a different language to everyone else I don't think you'll find it's the Doonhamers out of step with the rest of the country as much as the Dundonians. ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh, To be fair, in the scheme of speaking a different language to everyone else I don't think you'll find it's the Doonhamers out of step with the rest of the country as much as the Dundonians. ;)

Ourageous statement.  I was coming oot o' the butcher when I read this on meh 'phone and almost dropped meh peh doon a cundie!

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 13:20, Menzel said:

TV selection for this :lol:

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 13:29, HibeeJibee said:

PremierSports didn't bother using their R1 entitlement, btw :lol:.

I'd speculate they'll take Sligo v Falkirk... S4C will take TNS v Livingston... and BBC Alba either Dundee Utd v Alloa or Aberdeen "B" v Inverness.

No ££ for being on TV, IIRC.

It appears only Welsh language channel S4C have decided to take-up their entitlement in this round... They will show TNS v Livingston at 2:45pm on Sunday 3rd September.

All other ties go ahead at 3pm on the Saturday, except for Dumbarton v CQN (2:30pm) and Sligo v Falkirk (7:45pm)... For an unelaborated reason the Ayr v Montrose tie might be rearranged.

Aberdeen "B" once again eschew Pittodrie and instead host Inverness at Brechin.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-r2-dates-and-venues/

When will decision be made on Albion Rovers v Spartans including any replay? Only 14 days away.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It appears only Welsh language channel S4C have decided to take-up their entitlement in this round... They will show TNS v Livingston at 2:45pm on Sunday 3rd September.

All other ties go ahead at 3pm on the Saturday, except for Dumbarton v CQN (2:30pm) and Sligo v Falkirk (7:45pm)... For an unelaborated reason the Ayr v Montrose tie might be rearranged.

Aberdeen "B" once again eschew Pittodrie and instead host Inverness at Brechin.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-r2-dates-and-venues/

When will decision be made on Albion Rovers v Spartans including any replay? Only 14 days away.

Air show is on at the weekend of the game in Ayr, they generally re arrange our games if we are at home.

2 hours ago, Menzel said:

TBH I don't think our u20s have ever played at Pittodrie, they're almost always at Glebe Park or Balmoor iirc

The only recollection I can recall of Aberdeen Under 20s playing at Pittodrie is when they were lifting the trophy when they won it a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Abysmal decision if game at Ayr rearranged to midweek. Linfield knew they couldn't play at home that weekend and asked for away draw so if same with Ayr as it is Ayr show surely they should have been given away tie. Difference between us taking maybe 150 down to may be just a dozen or so

The spfl generally put us away from home that weekend, think it was the first year they moved our home match v Stenny to midweek. I understand your annoyance, but I just don't see the Ayr board chucking our home advantage for the sake of 100 Montrose fans (don't agree with it)

Linfield couldn't play at home last year due to not having a stadium, our scenario is slightly different.

23 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You'd think it would have made more sense to use Huntly or somewhere if that was possible, or does it have to be a League Ground? Why is Sligo v Falkirk on at that time if there isn't any live TV coverage?

Has to be a licensed ground.

The Challenge cup revamp is a great idea, the introduction of Welsh, and Irish teams is great. If I had my way they would have all gone into the League Cup and we would have a Manx select and Truro, not in the league section but the knockout stages somehow. Also people talk about attendances being down for the Colt teams, but all cup 1st rounds have low attendances. The season Aberdeen won the league cup sending 40,000 to Parkhead, they had half their normal league attendance in the first match v Alloa of that run. Celtic and Rangers barely half fill their stadia in first rounds of cups, and even St Mirren this season had lower group stage of the league cup attendances than they had V TNS in the semis of the challenge cup last season. (Even in England league cup semis often have half full grounds on the 2 legs, and early stages for European matches for many huge teams in Europe have lower attendances than league games) The point in the Colt teams is not attendances, it is so they get experience v senior teams in competeive matches, if that just produces 1 Scotland cap over 10 years then that is good enough.  If Youth development says it is good, then East Kilbride and Formantine should be proud to be helping the Colts and the Scotland team. After all Barcelona B team won the second tier of the Spanish league, and that team went on to win the Champions League, and was the nucleas of the world cup winners, Teams like East Kilbride, and Formantine and the league two teams, are a proud thing for Scottish football, but why not make them help Scottish youth development even more.

The attendance of the Challenge cup final last season was higher than Dundee United's average for league games last season, despite it being heled away from their homke ground and being on TV, and over double St Mirren's average crowd, And so what if a foreign team wins the competition, that will just mean more prestige for if a Scottish team then wins it again, like howw the Ryder Cup was nothing to Americans till Europe beat it in the 1980s. The challenge cup is a great tourney, and the addition of these teams is great. The Scottish lower tier teams beating Irish and Welsh league teams, were probabaly Scotland's best results last season ther than Aberdeen and Celtic's results. What I can not understand is Bala went out to a Luxembourgerish team narrowly a couple of seasons ago, and normally just go out mildy to these sorts of teams, but they sometimes get good results v Scottish premier teams, then Alloa, beat Bala 4-2, what is that about Also Linfield don't get anhialated by Maltese and such teams, but then lose to Scottish 2nd and 3rd tier teams in the challenge cup. I think the Scottish challenge cup is fantasic.

The spfl generally put us away from home that weekend, think it was the first year they moved our home match v Stenny to midweek. I understand your annoyance, but I just don't see the Ayr board chucking our home advantage for the sake of 100 Montrose fans (don't agree with it)
Linfield couldn't play at home last year due to not having a stadium, our scenario is slightly different.

Once again though the little teams s*** on by rulers. Did the same to us in Scottish last season. Q park game moved to Tuesday because of Celtic v Aberdeen diddy cup final on Sunday. It feels like if you don't support old firm then stuff you

On 18/08/2017 at 10:25, Skyline Drifter said:

He appears to still think United are a European superpower with thousands following them away to different countries and not the side who barely raised three figures for their away semi final in Dumfries last season.

It is because we are still Euro giants that we don't travel in numbers to a challenge cup semi final in dumfries.

Anyway if we got a Welsh team I would imagine we would take between 700-1000 fans. Presumably they could cope.

The point in the Colt teams is not attendances, it is so they get experience v senior teams in competeive matches, if that just produces 1 Scotland cap over 10 years then that is good enough.  If Youth development says it is good, then East Kilbride and Formantine should be proud to be helping the Colts and the Scotland team. After all Barcelona B team won the second tier of the Spanish league, and that team went on to win the Champions League, and was the nucleas of the world cup winners, Teams like East Kilbride, and Formantine and the league two teams, are a proud thing for Scottish football, but why not make them help Scottish youth development even more.

Hahaha!!!!

If a player is good enough, he's likely to either be playing for his parent club or on loan at a Premiership/Championship club as the likes of Ajer and McMullan were from Celtic last season. How would having them play 2 or 3 games against League 1 and 2 clubs (some of whom didn't even take the competition seriously) make it more likely they'd go on to become internationals than playing 30 odd games at Premiership or Championship level?

As for the Barcelona comparison - it's hard to tell if you're being serious or not. Those players would have went on to be great players at a great team irrespective of whether they'd played games in the seconda division or not.

The Challenge cup revamp is a great idea, the introduction of Welsh, and Irish teams is great. colts etc
I think the Scottish challenge cup is fantasic.

No.

We are busy trying to support our wee normal teams and our season is interrupted to lose money and momentum to play a youth team. To be of benefit to us all, top division teams wouldn't be hoarding all the players and they could be playing meaningful games for us in a competitive league or cup.

You must have loved the intertoto as well?

1 hour ago, celticcup said:

The Challenge cup revamp is a great idea, the introduction of Welsh, and Irish teams is great. If I had my way they would have all gone into the League Cup and we would have a Manx select and Truro, not in the league section but the knockout stages somehow. Also people talk about attendances being down for the Colt teams, but all cup 1st rounds have low attendances. The season Aberdeen won the league cup sending 40,000 to Parkhead, they had half their normal league attendance in the first match v Alloa of that run. Celtic and Rangers barely half fill their stadia in first rounds of cups, and even St Mirren this season had lower group stage of the league cup attendances than they had V TNS in the semis of the challenge cup last season. (Even in England league cup semis often have half full grounds on the 2 legs, and early stages for European matches for many huge teams in Europe have lower attendances than league games) The point in the Colt teams is not attendances, it is so they get experience v senior teams in competeive matches, if that just produces 1 Scotland cap over 10 years then that is good enough.  If Youth development says it is good, then East Kilbride and Formantine should be proud to be helping the Colts and the Scotland team. After all Barcelona B team won the second tier of the Spanish league, and that team went on to win the Champions League, and was the nucleas of the world cup winners, Teams like East Kilbride, and Formantine and the league two teams, are a proud thing for Scottish football, but why not make them help Scottish youth development even more.

The attendance of the Challenge cup final last season was higher than Dundee United's average for league games last season, despite it being heled away from their homke ground and being on TV, and over double St Mirren's average crowd, And so what if a foreign team wins the competition, that will just mean more prestige for if a Scottish team then wins it again, like howw the Ryder Cup was nothing to Americans till Europe beat it in the 1980s. The challenge cup is a great tourney, and the addition of these teams is great. The Scottish lower tier teams beating Irish and Welsh league teams, were probabaly Scotland's best results last season ther than Aberdeen and Celtic's results. What I can not understand is Bala went out to a Luxembourgerish team narrowly a couple of seasons ago, and normally just go out mildy to these sorts of teams, but they sometimes get good results v Scottish premier teams, then Alloa, beat Bala 4-2, what is that about Also Linfield don't get anhialated by Maltese and such teams, but then lose to Scottish 2nd and 3rd tier teams in the challenge cup. I think the Scottish challenge cup is fantasic.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mr. Doncaster, but I think you'll find you are in the minority. 

3 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

It's not really. Linfield could play on another date too. If your ground is unavailable that weekend then it's exactly the same scenario. It's designated weekend fixture. If Ayr are unable to play at home for the whole weekend then they should have been given an away tie. I'm presuming the uncertainty at the moment is due to deciding if a different kick off time or playing Sunday would be better.

It's not really. Linfield could play on another date too. If your ground is unavailable that weekend then it's exactly the same scenario. It's designated weekend fixture. If Ayr are unable to play at home for the whole weekend then they should have been given an away tie. I'm presuming the uncertainty at the moment is due to deciding if a different kick off time or playing Sunday would be better.

Our ground isn't unavailable though - it's a massive event which has absolutely nothing to do with the club. Why should we surrender possible home advantage (not that I really care) for something that isn't remotely of our own doing.

Archived