Challenge Cup 2017-18

10 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Berwick Rangers away.....not the "glamorous" international away tie I was hoping for but at least it's winnable!

It won't be played in Scotland so it could be tenuously labelled as International. This will probably be labelled as a border derby tie even though it's a fair trudge to get there from Dumfries. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Spanish & German fans as raging about Barcelona B being in the second tier or Werder Bremen II being in the third tier?

I'm just curious, this isn't an argument for Scottish colt teams in the league, or even the Challenge Cup, I don't see the point and don't think it will actually do much to help the development of players and does just seem a transparent plot to have "more" games featuring the Old Firm, even though clearly nobody cares about Rangers & Celtic Colts. Xavi was going to be great whether he played for the Barcelona B side or whether he was put out on loan. Maybe there's some value in inoculating a player in the clubs culture & way of playing from an early age but a) not sure any clubs in Scotland have a "culture" or expected style of football & b) you can do that without having the reserve team playing part-time sides like Annan.

They'll be dancing in the streets of TNS tonight knowing that the Amber machine will be visiting, atleast it'll be a cracking away day/weekend, looking forward to the trip down. 

I'd fancy us to beat them this time around too. 

Clusterflunk from Beeb reporting on Irn Bru second round draw. Dumbarton home to Connah's Quay and away to Buckie Thistle*!

Also had Goodwillie scoring a hat trick from last season in their latest second division news.

Double face-palm emoji!

*Could of course be their "Colt" team.

2 hours ago, moanthebairns said:

Please tell me I'm not the only bairns fan thinking, oh ffs what a pile of pish.

Genuinely after 15+ seasons home and away, i'm sat going, f**k it, I aint doing that this time. Sorry. 

You've got a trip to Northern Ireland you ungrateful b*****d. That's an absolutely outstanding draw and you should be doing cartwheels. Would you rather be playing Ross County under 20s?

Any Falkirk or Livingston fan unhappy with that draw is even more ridiculous than people refusing to boycott against Colt teams. 

I'll be in Galway on the 1st weekend of September for Connacht v Glasgow Warriors. If the times allow I may pop up to Sligo in the north of the province to watch Falkirk. If anyone goes back to Dublin to fly home keep in mind it's the GAA Final at Croke Park and County Galway are in the hurling. Expected to be a sell out. Good weekend if you like your sport :)

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You've got a trip to Northern Ireland you ungrateful b*****d. That's an absolutely outstanding draw and you should be doing cartwheels. Would you rather be playing Ross County under 20s?

Any Falkirk or Livingston fan unhappy with that draw is even more ridiculous than people refusing to boycott against Colt teams. 

Completely agree, we've been really lucky with draws in this competition the last couple years. 

Crusaders away last year was a cracking trip and now TNS away I'm already looking forward to.

Dont like the inclusion of Colt teams but warming to the Irish and Welsh teams being involved for the reason that it gives whoever draws them a great away day, we've now been lucky enough to have two in two seasons. 

Home to Alloa - probably not going to go that one either.

Inverness getting Aberdeen Colts - hilarious - as Robertson wants Colts in the leagues, and it'll mostly be made up of Inverness's team of the last 5 years haha

Completely agree, we've been really lucky with draws in this competition the last couple years. 
Crusaders away last year was a cracking trip and now TNS away I'm already looking forward to.
Dont like the inclusion of Colt teams but warming to the Irish and Welsh teams being involved for the reason that it gives whoever draws them a great away day, we've now been lucky enough to have two in two seasons. 

Absolutely this. Would much rather visit somewhere new than debate whether to go to Berwick away for the 17th time.

Not getting ahead of myself ahead of this tie, noticed TNS were dished a pumping by Bala last weekend, and they've lost their manager and some top players, too. We're in with a better chance than last season but it'll be a tough one regardless.

37 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You've got a trip to Northern Ireland you ungrateful b*****d. That's an absolutely outstanding draw and you should be doing cartwheels. Would you rather be playing Ross County under 20s?

tbh, id rather not be in it, its fucking shit, even the finals are drab affairs. 

When I used to go on the busses I'd be buzzing for this. But having years of mates dwindling away due to family commitments and generally they cant be fucked anymore, its not that an exciting trip on your own. 

The likelihood is there will be a hundred there and its still a meaningless game. 

2 hours ago, moanthebairns said:

Please tell me I'm not the only bairns fan thinking, oh ffs what a pile of pish.

Genuinely after 15+ seasons home and away, i'm sat going, f**k it, I aint doing that this time. Sorry. 

Are you mental?  A trip to Northern Ireland for the football is fantastic.  I went to Ballymena v Cowden a few years ago and had a blast.  Welcoming fans, great pubs and something different from playing the same teams over and over.

Almost every other team in the draw is jealous of who Falkirk got!

Why not just go on a trip to Ireland and forget about the football? Don't understand this appeal for Ireland or Wales so you get fucked watching a diddy cup tie. 

A football fan who doesn't enjoy going on away days and drinking...

Or maybe I could suggest having 5 pints instead of "getting fucked." Then you can enjoy the day, enjoy the beer, enjoy the football and still remember it all [emoji6]

14 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why not just go on a trip to Ireland and forget about the football? Don't understand this appeal for Ireland or Wales so you get fucked watching a diddy cup tie. 

Because I'm a fan. Sligo & surrounding area looks stunning, don't think I'll bother spending any time in Dublin. An opportunity to visit a place I'd never consider if it wasn't for the draw.

Archived