Challenge Cup 2017-18

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Motherwell B v Queens Park at Stirling seems a bit odd. Taking a game further away from both teams. At least Aberdeen B v St Johnstone B makes sense playing at Brechin.

Maybe it's a plot by Motherwell to deter fans from coming to ensure that this tournament gets binned.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Including:

Aberdeen 'B' v St Johnstone 'B' - at Brechin
Hibs 'B' v Elgin - at Spartans
Motherwell 'B' v Queen's Park - at Stirling Albion

Brechin is 45 miles from my place. I'd probably wander along to watch this or the U20s but as the nearest home game is at least 30 miles away, I don't. And won't.

On 03/08/2017 at 22:48, HibeeJibee said:

That's what I was thinking.

Reports of over-age players being permitted emerged a few months ago - e.g. by the Brora chairman is his blog - but this move was not mentioned at all when they announced all the other tweaks like the adjusted format, removal of seeding, admission of Eire sides, and so on.

Given their defence is it's just about youth development, why should the "B" teams stiffen their squads with 2 over-age players? Also it'll potentially help them progress to the detriment of actual clubs.

What's the script with prize money and the colt sides? Can the prize money they receive go straight to the "parent club" or must all prize money be invested back into the colt side (if that's even possible to regulate)?

If prize money can be used by the parent clubs then this is nothing more than a move towards collecting more prize money from a competition they used to get hee-haw from.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm sure there is no distinction (how would you police it anyway). In the Checkatrade Trophy down south the "B" teams aren't eligible for prizemoney, and pay to enter; not so up here.

I thought as much. This is bullshit.

Motherwell B v Queens Park at Stirling seems a bit odd. Taking a game further away from both teams. At least Aberdeen B v St Johnstone B makes sense playing at Brechin.

If the game was in Aberdeen I'd definitely not go. Playing it in Brechin makes it slightly more likely.

Though i think putting the 'Colts' teams in is generally a nonsense.

No word on when the 2nd round draw will be? I would suggest that it needs to be ASAP after the 1st round matches conclude on Wednesday with the non-Scottish teams coming in & such a short turnaround.

PS - any other Rovers fans I am by no means taking the Brora match for granted when I ask this!

Answering my own question, the 2nd round draw is on Thursday at 1pm live on the SPFL Facebook page, Linfield away due to Windsor Park being unavailable meaning that Crusaders are at home as 1 from each non-Scottish country will be away & 1 at home, also they are all guaranteed to play a Scottish club, other than that open draw:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-rd-2-draw-on-thursday-80/

It won't be a direct comparison due to combining rounds, addition of Championship clubs and no seeding, but a reminder of last season's crowds in R1 & R2 (both August midweeks):

under 150 - (3)
Albion Rovers v Hamilton "B" (114); Cumbernauld v Hamilton "B" (119); East Stirlingshire v Montrose (149)

between 150 and 250 - (5)
Turriff v Montrose (180); Cove v Dundee "B" (190); Celtic "B" v Annan (216); Aberdeen "B" v Forfar (221); Brechin v Cove (242)

between 250 and 350 - (10)
Inverness "B" v Arbroath (296); Queen's Park v Kilmarnock "B" (299); Berwick v Spartans (302); Formartine v Aberdeen "B" (305); St Johnstone "B" v Turriff (320); Rangers "B" v Stenhousemuir (324); Stranraer v Spartans (326); Arbroath v East Fife (335); Elgin v Hearts "B" (350); Ross County "B" v Brora (350)

between 350 and 450 - (5)
Clyde v Partick "B" (351); Peterhead v Brora (399); Motherwell "B" v Edinburgh City (402); Partick "B" v Queen's Park (436); Cowdebeath v Celtic "B" (449)

over 450 - (3)
Rangers "B" v Stirling Uni (493); Stirling Albion v Hearts "B" (496); Motherwell "B" v Airdrie (1,007)

43 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Few u20/colt/B teams winning already, County by 2 v Forfar

HT and despite there being 4 ties tomorrow and Celtic "B", Hearts "B" and Hibs "B" all losing, there are currently 4 "B" teams progressing to Last 32 compared to only 1 last season.

Mission accomplished as far as the format/seeding adjustments and introducing over-age players is concerned, it would seem.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

HT and despite there being 4 ties tomorrow and Celtic "B", Hearts "B" and Hibs "B" all losing, there are currently 4 "B" teams progressing to Last 32 compared to only 1 last season.

Mission accomplished as far as the format/seeding adjustments and introducing over-age players is concerned, it would seem.

Aye, I see Billy McKay has scored for Ross County.

Archived