Challenge Cup 2017-18

Bit embarrassing to actively invite teams into the competition then one may not even make it to their first tie :lol:!

Wonder what they will do if Bray do go belly-up... Invite the next club down (St Patrick's Athletic)? Inverness gets bye to R3? Draw random bye to R3? Draw lucky loser from R1?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hypothetically, who would people rather win this cup, a colt team or a foreign team?

Foreign team. Well maybe not one of them.
Hopefully Scottish teams from the Championship or league 1 will win this cup until it's scrapped.

Are Linfield in this again this year? Everyone gets a warm welcome at Winsor Park. [emoji2]

They should be looking at a European ban or behind closed doors match for the behaviour of those "fans" last night. Does playing in this tournament count as a Euro tie for the Welsh and Irish sides?

They should be looking at a European ban or behind closed doors match for the behaviour of those "fans" last night. Does playing in this tournament count as a Euro tie for the Welsh and Irish sides?

I don't think so. UEFA approval was required before the tournament could get off the ground, but as far as I know the governing body in charge of the tournament is the SFA. That being said, I would hope the SFA would be required to respect any ban imposed by UEFA.

• 2 weeks later...

Another step in Doncasters quest to stick the knife into 40 clubs in the country. What was a competition that gave teams that had very little chance of winning a cup that opportunity is now being used as a tool for a few clubs to keep players that will probably not get a game for their 1st team a game against whats left of proper league clubs.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

'Accidentally' forget to mention that Doncaster?

That's what I was thinking.

Reports of over-age players being permitted emerged a few months ago - e.g. by the Brora chairman is his blog - but this move was not mentioned at all when they announced all the other tweaks like the adjusted format, removal of seeding, admission of Eire sides, and so on.

Given their defence is it's just about youth development, why should the "B" teams stiffen their squads with 2 over-age players? Also it'll potentially help them progress to the detriment of actual clubs.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:07, liam_barnett said:

All times, dates & venues now confirmed for round 1,

appears to be no live TV game(s)?

Including:

Aberdeen 'B' v St Johnstone 'B' - at Brechin
Hibs 'B' v Elgin - at Spartans
Motherwell 'B' v Queen's Park - at Stirling Albion

Archived