Challenge Cup 2017-18

Indeed.  A bunch of 18/19 year olds will get ripped apart by the likes of United, Falkirk, Caley, should they even get that far.  What good is it doing them?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

British football is pretty unusual in Europe in not having youth sides in the senior set-up. In Spain they play in both leagues and cups.

I'm still against it but I don't understand where the vitriol comes from, like it's some crazy, dangerous, anti-footballing idea. Countries with a far, far better record than us in developing players do it. Scotland is singularly shite at turning decent young players into top adult players, so maybe we should be more open minded about how to sort that.

Indeed.  A bunch of 18/19 year olds will get ripped apart by the likes of United, Falkirk, Caley, should they even get that far.  What good is it doing them?

They can play them in the first round now.

It's quite sad that I find myself wanting these kids to get absolutely pumped but that's the SPFLs fault. f**k them.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Oh we know what they say it's for.

What it's actually for is probably something quite different.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It's quite sad that I find myself wanting these kids to get absolutely pumped but that's the SPFLs fault. f**k them.

ICT and Falkirk got a bye to round 2, but yep. 12 solid pumpings in front of precisely nobody would be the dream.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Ah can they.  That makes it an even bigger farce.  I'm in the same camp as you; we really need a double figures job against one of the under-20 teams.

Ah can they.  That makes it an even bigger farce.  I'm in the same camp as you; we really need a double figures job against one of the under-20 teams.

Looks like you and Falkirk have to wait to round 2 but from there down it's all 1st round games.

Hoping United get an under 20s team at home that isn't Dundee cause thousands of Dundee fans would turn up and who could blame them, just so Tannadice has an attendance in the hundreds and it nearly hits 10. Can just imagine my mates faces they were slating f**k out the fizzy pop trophy last year even after they'd won it ([emoji23]) so if they drew Ross County under 20s it would be bants.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I wouldnt believe anything that Cockwomble says. Everyone knows that is the SPFL line for why they were introduce, doesn't mean it has actually worked. What benefit are these kids getting by playing one game and getting pumped by some League 2 outfit in front of a handful of people? Is it more or less than going on loan to a league 1 or 2 side for 3 months?

If you were going to quote something, where is the data on how many first team apprearances per player since playing in the cup last year?

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

British football is pretty unusual in Europe in not having youth sides in the senior set-up. In Spain they play in both leagues and cups.

I'm still against it but I don't understand where the vitriol comes from, like it's some crazy, dangerous, anti-footballing idea. Countries with a far, far better record than us in developing players do it. Scotland is singularly shite at turning decent young players into top adult players, so maybe we should be more open minded about how to sort that.

Countries far, far worse than us also do it. Countries far, far better than us don't do it.

There's no linear correlation.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

It is.

You didn't need to quote the SPFL; it's like quoting Jeffrey Dahmer if he'd said he wasn't going to do terrible things to your corpse.

It's always possible that someone at the SPFL believes that this Colt nonsense will help to improve young Scottish players, but the key players in the movement absolutely do not.

I don't see the issue with letting youngsters get a chance to play against the senior teams - the only way to develop yourself even outwith football is to challenge yourself against more experienced people in the field.

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

Spot on

The Under 20's playing at this level attract a very strange level of venom 

Doesn't really put me up or down, I wish our Under 20's well

#COYR #ComeOnYouSkyBlues 

On 6/26/2017 at 07:58, Sergeant Wilson said:

Every team in League 2 is hoping to get that plum tie against Partick Thistle under 20s. Ticket printing machines have been oiled and red carpets hoovered.

We had that last year.  Creamed myself.

15 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Spot on

The Under 20's playing at this level attract a very strange level of venom 

Doesn't really put me up or down, I wish our Under 20's well

#COYR #ComeOnYouSkyBlues 

That's easy for you to say when your first team is never forced to share a competition with reserve sides.

I came across this article yesterday, and it acts as the perfect example of why we don't need to be playing youth teams in our senior leagues

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/1275969/harvie-next-to-press-for-leading-role/?utm_source=twitter

I seriously hope everyone who is against the introduction of them in the league system boycotts this cup, and urges their mates to do likewise. I'd love for us to put out a youth team for it too (whilst holding a first team training session at the same time) but alas we don't have a youth system, because 'Project Brave' killed it off.

Anyone who can't see what they are trying to do by putting bigger clubs in is very, very naive indeed. I can picture Doncaster's headlines already 'CROWDS UP 40% PROVES A DESIRE FOR U20S IN THE LEAGUE" - Don't give him the opportunity.

There are literally dozens of teams that would contribute more to the Challenge Cup than under-20 dross outfits with precisely no fans - which is why the idea belongs in the sea. More Highland League teams; more Lowland League teams; more teams from the three other national associations and you have a much better tournament.

One look at the potential opponents for the South section says it all about the shan outfits stinking the place out. A tie against a lower-division side to give us a good chance of Sligo away in the next round must be the goal. As it's a midweek round something like East Stirling away would do. 

Indeed. I find it a bit disappointing that fans of the current top tier sides have in general been quite indifferent while those of us who support clubs below that level have generally been so strongly against it.

Last season, Dunfermline's U20 side finished ahead of Hearts, Dundee and St Johnstone in the development league, yet our first team might be asked to play one of these U20 sides in a cup competition? Even had that not been the case, I just find it quite insulting that my club's first team could be asked to play one of them.

Archived