Challenge Cup 2017-18

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Btw, I see a significant increase in the prizemoney pot is being trumpeted...

... amounting to the equivalent of a whole £485 per club :lol:. Of course there are 2 more teams to share the pot now, too.

I wonder if everyone still gets a crate of mineral water?

You get more than a crate:lol: apparently your getting more AG Barr stock this season up 21%. The prize money is up 9% this season apparently and as you said  earlier you get £5k for travelling to either Ireland or Wales.

Suppose things could have been worse for us we could have been relegated ended up in the Lowland League and got a bottle of Irn Bru if we won it:lol:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is up 9% but when you divide the increase among 56 participants it's less than £500 each - unsurprisingly they're promoting the 9% rather than the £485 as the former sounds much more impressive than the latter.

As I noted any kind of increases are welcome but it's pretty modest stuff in the grand scheme of things. I've no issue with £4k or as it is now £5k for travelling, btw - you couldn't put in trips to clubs in Northern Ireland, Wales and now Eire and expect clubs to pay their own way. Even then if taking 25 people - 18 playing squad, managers and coaches, physio, couple of club officials - that's only £160 or now £200 per person to cover transport, accommodation and food so by no means an ostentatious trip.

Getting rid of the intricate and rather odd seeding is welcome, but could mean 'B' teams draw each other. Still some oddities in the method of regionalisation: e.g. Stenny + Shire and City + Hearts/Hibs 'B' in different regions.

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It is up 9% but when you divide the increase among 56 participants it's less than £500 each - unsurprisingly they're promoting the 9% rather than the £485 as the former sounds much more impressive than the latter.

As I noted any kind of increases are welcome but it's pretty modest stuff in the grand scheme of things. I've no issue with £4k or as it is now £5k for travelling, btw - you couldn't put in trips to clubs in Northern Ireland, Wales and now Eire and expect clubs to pay their own way. Even then if you were taking 25 people - 18 playing squad + management and coaches, physio, couple of club officials - that's only £200 per person to cover transport, accommodation and food so by no means an ostentatious trip.

Getting rid of the intricate and rather odd seeding is welcome, but could mean 'B' teams draw each other. Still some oddities in the method of regionalisation: e.g. Stenny + Shire and City + Hearts/Hibs 'B' in different regions.

Depends how well you do and what round you get put out in, some rounds have more of an increase on last season that others.

I will only attend a Challenge cup game if we manage to get one of the Irish or Welsh sides away from home.

I'll go to any games that don't involved U20s sides.

I genuinely think no matter what team you support we should all boycott any U20 opposition games. Let's see how the authorities view matters when stadia are empty.

Colt teams in this are a farce. As are non-Scottish teams tbh! And god only knows why they get a bye to round 2? Surely if they are joining a tournament in another country they start at the bottom?

Think they get a bye because the 1st round is regionilised

Last season the draw was seeded so the colt teams couldn't ply each other for the first 2 rounds is that the same situation this year

No seeding in R1, The only "seeding" in R2+ is to make sure a Welsh or Irish team faces a Scottish one. Falkirk and Inverness CT get a bye to R2. 

I would like Thistle to get a League Two team just to see how our 20s get on against a full strength League Two team given Clyde shat it last season and played their 20s(including a few signed up that day!)

No seeding in R1, The only "seeding" in R2+ is to make sure a Welsh or Irish team faces a Scottish one. Falkirk and Inverness CT get a bye to R2. 
I would like Thistle to get a League Two team just to see how our 20s get on against a full strength League Two team given Clyde shat it last season and played their 20s(including a few signed up that day!)

Would imagine most league teams would consider not playing their first team against an Under 20 side. It's a no-win if you play your first team. Lose and it's embarrassing; win and you're expected to anyway.

Devil's advocate here, but the point of the colt teams isn't that they're genuine contenders for the cup, or that they bring in fans. The point is to give the young players at Premier league teams the chance to play serious football against grown-ups, to help them develop and progress to their first teams - and maybe into the national team. How far it achieves that, and whether it's an objective that's important enough to risk the sporting integrity of the competition, is a matter for debate. But crowds and results aren't really the point.

Personally I'm still against it - I think this competition has a real future as being for those in tiers 2-5 of the pyramid. 

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

The point is to give the young players at Premier league teams the chance to play serious football against grown-ups, to help them develop and progress to their first teams - and maybe into the national team.

Can folk stop repeating this, please, as it isn't true. Thanks.

On 6/25/2017 at 00:50, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Every team in League 2 is hoping to get that plum tie against Partick Thistle under 20s. Ticket printing machines have been oiled and red carpets hoovered.

Can folk stop repeating this, please, as it isn't true. Thanks.

And even if it was the genuine opinion behind it.... who cares.

Club football is week to week. International football is a few times a year. Ruin the lower league competitions by putting in teams who want training sessions and not proper games for that? Gtf. If you're 20 year old and kicking about League 1/2 in a development squad you'll not be making any sort of impact in an international at any point in your career anyway.

Not kidding when I say Celtic u20s were they worse side I'd seen last season. We were 3 up after 20 minutes and 5 up after 40, then after half time we massively took the foot off the gas or it would of been double figures easy and they're one of the so called best development teams. Get rid of them.

Archived