Challenge Cup 2017-18

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally don't think the colt idea is bad. Its good that some more experienced players can help and might help aid player development. Might not be beneficial in terms of crowds but if it can help players breakthrough at clubs and eventually have good careers it could be a plus for Scottish football. Much in the same way a reserve league would help. Playing alongside seasoned pros can only help surely? This has never been a prestigious tournament anyway. A wee trip to Ireland would be cool too. Linfield came last season and packed out their end adding a great atmosphere to the game. So imo the changes have helped

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

How to completely destroy a tournament which was set up for lower league clubs.

Colts/ B teams should be nowhere near this.

Agree. I for one like the addition of the Irish/Welsh teams, as they bring something to the tournament. I was gutted to miss the trip to Bala last year, as I was working, and others have said how much it was one of their favourite away trips. But the Colts bring nothing to either the fans or players of the lower league teams, but only serve the interests of the Premiership clubs. This competition is for the lower league clubs, and should stay that way. 

Latest changes are a load of balls.

If they want participants from outside Scotland then I'd be fine with a cup competition featuring the final 4 from the Challenge, final 4 from the Welsh version, final 4 from Northern Ireland, 4 from Republic and maybe the final 4 from the English version. Or even the FA Vase final 4. Keep the Challenge Cup as a chance for lower league teams to play in a cup final and have a further tournament against teams from the other nations.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Latest changes are a load of balls.

If they want participants from outside Scotland then I'd be fine with a cup competition featuring the final 4 from the Challenge, final 4 from the Welsh version, final 4 from Northern Ireland, 4 from Republic and maybe the final 4 from the English version. Or even the FA Vase final 4. Keep the Challenge Cup as a chance for lower league teams to play in a cup final and have a further tournament against teams from the other nations.

That seems fair but scheduling is stretched as it is.  

2 hours ago, liam_barnett said:

They've announced the non-Scottish teams are in at 2nd round, I presume the rest will be the same as last season?

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-expanded-for-201718/

It won't be the same as this season if the non-Scottish teams are coming in at round 2. In 2016-17 it was pretty byzantine, with teams entered according to their final position in the leagues the previous season (which led to some oddities like Queen's Park entering before Elgin, even though they were by then a division above)

Anyway, in 2016-17 it was:

Round 1: 28 teams (positions 3-10 from League Two, positions 1-4 from Highland League, positions 1-4 from Lowland League and the 12 'colts')

Round 2: 24 teams (14 winners from round 1, positions 1-2 from League Two, positions 3-10 from League One)

Round 3: 24 teams (12 winners from round 2, positions 1-2 from League One, positions 1-10 from Championship)

Round 4: 16 teams (12 winners from round 3, 2 from Wales, 2 from Northern Ireland)

If the non-Scottish teams are coming in earlier and there are two extra teams, then it looks to me as if there might be one round fewer this time, perhaps:

Round 1: 48 teams (28 League teams, 4 Highland, 4 Lowland, 12 'colts')

Round 2: 32 teams (24 winners, 2 remaining League teams, 6 non-Scottish teams)

Round 3: 16 teams (16 winners)

But if that was the case then surely they would have asked another couple of Lowland/Highland teams to avoid byes in the first round. Too obvious?

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-expanded-for-201718/

Bray is a lovely we place to visit and is easily accessible from Dublin after a cheap Dyanair flight, but the ground is Scottish Third Division standard. They have had considerable money invested and should be a challenge. Sligo are nowhere near what they were and my ex wife comes from there, so I hope they get pumped.

Linfield are much improved on last season and took 43 out of our last 45 points at the end of the season, so I hope for a better showing and a home game so that we can welcome folk to Belfast. That said, I would chuck it now for a round or two of progress in Europe as that is where the serious money is. Crusaders are slightly weaker than last time around.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:15, Only one David Marsh said:

I still think they are using this to eventually allow colt teams into the league but again fans need to boycott this monstrosity 

Agree that this is Doncasters vision for the future. How long is it before his contract is up.

Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster has admitted that Uefa's willingness to sanction Irish and Welsh teams taking part in the Scottish Challenge Cup could open the door for Celtic and Rangers to play in England. (Scottish Sun) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40197933

And there's the entire thinking behind this clusterfuck

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster has admitted that Uefa's willingness to sanction Irish and Welsh teams taking part in the Scottish Challenge Cup could open the door for Celtic and Rangers to play in England. (Scottish Sun) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40197933

And there's the entire thinking behind this clusterfuck

Doubt it. It's hardly the first example of a cross border competition.

I don't think the EPL would be any more interested in having the OF than they would taking Ajax or PSG.

Archived