PFA league 1 player of the year

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Awk c'mon they are both good players, what a partnership they will form in the championship with us next season :thumsup2

For all the stick Tom Wotherspoon gets (rightly in a lot of instances) the fact we offered 2 year+ deals at the start of the season deserves a lot of credit. Not saying Andy Ryan won't move on but at least we'll get a transfer fee if he does. 

That though should rule Livvi out unfortunately for you! Anyway, I'm sure we'll be in the Championship with you................................

My view of Ryan is really flavoured by when he played against us so probably isn't entirely fair but in most cases he's caused real problems in the first 15 - 20 minutes, not least with his bursts of speed and then faded. That being said the fact that Airdrie are in the playoff despite the best comedy defence since Morecambe and Wise can only be down to the hard graft at the other end. Unless I'm much mistaken I think he was also suspended for one of the games against us.

For Buchannan although he played in most of our games he wasn't always in the starting lineup which makes his goal tally even more impressive. This is tempered by the fact that he managed to miss at least four penalties making him probably the least deadly penalty taker in the league.

That.'s where McPake ended up after starting out as a striker. Remember him missing a 1 on 1 with the Rangers keeper right at the death to win the game and fecked it up, think that was when it was clear he wasn't making it as a striker.

I'd still have Toddy up front next season though, just to give us something different with his physical presence when it is needed.

Just had a look at Buchanan's career (on the reliable source that is Wikipedia), and I'm struggling to identify at what point he was at his peak.

Really?

Have another look, it isn't difficult.

19 hours ago, AMC13 said:

Cooper81's just a shite comedic troll. He once argued earlier this season that Airdrie could challenge Livi for the title. I mean Airdrie ffs and now he's saying Ryan's better than Buchs. Unbelievable.

Yep and also said Airdrie would improve their squad after the Jan window but Livi couldn't improve any as we're already as good as we can be. Now he's saying Ryan will still improve but Buchanan is as good as he will be. You'd think the daft c**t would learn to just shut to f**k up and stop making a c**t of himself.:lol:

49 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep and also said Airdrie would improve their squad after the Jan window but Livi couldn't improve any as we're already as good as we can be. Now he's saying Ryan will still improve but Buchanan is as good as he will be. You'd think the daft c**t would learn to just shut to f**k up and stop making a c**t of himself.:lol:

Ignoring the fact you're right about Cooper81 talking sh1te constantly, why would Ryan not improve given his age and potential he's shown in his first full season (22 y/o, top scorer and nominated for the divisions player of the year)??

Poor Copper18 getting it so tight on here,  yet just a sweet, special young person.

This thread really is like the preverbial situation with 2 baldy men fighting over a comb.

Buchanan's previous season was 14 goals in league 1,  he's almost doubled that in a very weak league 2.    Ryan is in his 1st full season,  I dont think anyone can accurately predict his true level till he shows evidence he can repeat it.

On 2017-5-9 at 09:00, andylivi1 said:

Awk c'mon they are both good players, what a partnership they will form in the championship with us next season :thumsup2

You got a rich investor lined up? It's the only way Livi will be affording that transfer fee!

As with nearly all PoTY awards, it's totally subjective. That Buchanan has won it this season is neither an indictment that Ryan is a lesser player, nor Buchanan superior, IMO. It's worth noting in all of this that Ryan is 10 years younger than Buchanan; I'm not saying that Ryan doesn't work hard in training, but Buchanan has put a hell of a lot of effort into conditioning himself and becoming even more of a professional in a bid to increase his time at the top level. That deserves credit in itself, and the fact he's netted 27 times in a season where even our supporters reckoned we wouldn't run away with the league is a good achievement. It was mentioned earlier on when his peak had occurred; unless he nets more in the Championship next season (assuming he stays with us), this is it, which given his age and previous record is special.

Ryan's credentials are more than decent - every time I've seen Airdrie this season, they've looked a total gang, and it's a fact that they'd probably have been scrapping with Stenny and Peterhead on the final day as opposed to Brechin and Alloa had it not been for his goals. To say they're a one man team is probably oversimplifying it, but he's the only player of real quality Airdrie have. If they miraculously make it through the play-offs, I imagine he will have carried the burden for all four matches.

They are two cracking players, and on another day it's quite feasible Ryan would've took the award. But at the end of the day, I'm far more content we've won the league, with Buchanan's award an added extra. I suspect for Airdrie that had Ryan won it, it would've been the only bright spot in an otherwise miserable season.

21 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

You got a rich investor lined up? It's the only way Livi will be affording that transfer fee!

If young Knox finally moves on to pastures new for the absurd figures being banded about, then I'd say it would be feasible for us to make a move using that money. Barring a disastrous injury for him, I'd say Ryan will move on to a level a lot higher than the Scottish Championship. Given the season he's had though, I think far more bigger teams than us will be looking at him.

27 minutes ago, Afro said:

Given the season he's had though, I think far more bigger teams than us will be looking at him.

He dropped out of Hamilton who have a good record of promoting their youth if they're deemed good enough.   He's had a great season and a half in L1 but as you have seen, even you and I could score here.    We're kidding ourselves on if we think 22 goals in L1 is potential superstar material.  

If Ryan goes up with Airdrie and gets over 15 goals I'd get excited.   Otherwise it'd take a decent offer to buy out his remaining year but tbh, his potential worth to the buying club would be a bit of a risk given he's unproven.   

Look at the scoring records of El Bakhtoui, Craig Moore this season and Declan McManus the past 2 seasons,  all have reduced greatly, just as Buchanan's doubled for dropping down a division.

I'd expect Buchanan to be back at 10-15 next season with Mullen a few behind.

Ryan around 12 and Russell no more than 6-8 (non penalties) if we were to go up.

Sorry to be a wet blanket

Archived