Airdrie vs. Alloa/ Alloa vs. Airdrie - Championship Play Off Semi-Final

Proof if needed that you can pay a part time player the same wage or less as a full timer and get a far superior player IMHO

I don't have any proof of course, but genuinely from what I hear from a number of folk, I don't think we pay particularly big for our position.

I believe we pay well for a part-time side but the figures I've heard aren't eye-watering as some might expect.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Now that we're getting close to this I'm gutted to be missing the first leg. Being an adult is no fun emoji23.png

I booked up to go to Madrid for the tennis when I thought we hadn't a hope in hell of making the playoffs. I'll only catch the first leg.

I booked up to go to Madrid for the tennis when I thought we hadn't a hope in hell of making the playoffs. I'll only catch the first leg.

Lucky you, at least you're doing something nice I've just been spending my money on fixing the car...

On 5/7/2017 at 12:04, Diamond Oracle said:

It'll be interesting to see how his pans out. Alloa have generally had a good season and have been pretty consistent throughout, whereas Airdrie have been up and down (and everywhere in between).

We had a real dip post Jack Ross and dropped right back into the pack. The season was perhaps in danger of falling apart at that point and Jim Goodwin deserves credit for getting the team going again after a bit of a sticky start as manager. 

I think the league table shows that we have been a better side than Airdrie over the season - 10 points ahead and 30 goals better off in terms of goal difference. The real danger for us is the Airdrie attack. Iain Russell has been a thorn in our side for years and remains a classy player. Andy Ryan will probably be playing at a higher level next season regardless of what happens in these play-offs. I think that if we play as well as we can then we'll win, but Airdrie will feel the same. Very hard to call.

A lot of Airdrie fans, myself included, have said for a while we do not deserve to be in the play offs. Its undoubtably been a frustrating campaign, and one that lived up to no ones expectations. But now we are here, I desperately want us to go up. 

With ongoing rumours of changes happening in the background, we crave stability. 

But the best way to secure more investment over the summer would surely be the team playing in the championship.

Alloa and Airdrie have been neck and neck against each other, and we should have nothing to fear. Beating two of our play off rivals in the run in should be good for confidence.

Famous last words though

13 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

A lot of Airdrie fans, myself included, have said for a while we do not deserve to be in the play offs. Its undoubtably been a frustrating campaign, and one that lived up to no ones expectations. But now we are here, I desperately want us to go up. 

With ongoing rumours of changes happening in the background, we crave stability. 

But the best way to secure more investment over the summer would surely be the team playing in the championship.

Alloa and Airdrie have been neck and neck against each other, and we should have nothing to fear. Beating two of our play off rivals in the run in should be good for confidence.

Famous last words though

Agree with pretty much everything - but I think we deserve to be in the play offs. We've been really sh1te at times (more often than not it seems) but we have more points than those below us! Obvious I know. I appreciate there might be an element of 'by default' based on those teams being even worse but we still finished 3rd at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Agree with pretty much everything - but I think we deserve to be in the play offs. We've been really sh1te at times (more often than not it seems) but we have more points than those below us! Obvious I know. I appreciate there might be an element of 'by default' based on those teams being even worse but we still finished 3rd at the end of the day. 

Yep.  I can't agree with people saying it's a "miracle" we've finished in the playoffs.  It's not.  A miracle would be if had some heroic turnaround - like St Mirren have had, for instance.  We're where we are because we deserve to be, because over the course of 36 games we've amassed more points than all but two teams in the league.  We all wanted to see better football more often, but the fact is we've been either in the top four or not far off it all season.

37 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Yep.  I can't agree with people saying it's a "miracle" we've finished in the playoffs.  It's not.  A miracle would be if had some heroic turnaround - like St Mirren have had, for instance.  We're where we are because we deserve to be, because over the course of 36 games we've amassed more points than all but two teams in the league.  We all wanted to see better football more often, but the fact is we've been either in the top four or not far off it all season.

I personally think this has been a piss poor quality league this time around and this is a factor too in our finishing position.   

Peterheid, Brechin, Stenny (except when they played us), ML5 were all visibly worse than last season.

In most of the previous playoffs we've been in I've been confident we could go on and win it. This year I don't think any of us have any faith in them doing it. So who know's, maybe they might actually come out and surprise us!

Clutching at straws!?!?! :unsure:

Since changing 6 games ago to a back 3 of McIntosh, Mensing and Gorman we've started to reduce the rate of goals conceded BUT we are still losing preventable goals.

If Wilson has actually analysed his video and made some fairly basic changes we have half a chance.

The other half a chance is harder to deal with.   I've written so many times this season that Brown goes missing versus the top teams.    I'd love to be proven wrong but Injust cant see him being much more than a bit part player.   Unfortunately Leitch is not reliable for any more.    Other than bringing in McGregor or Boateng to defence and pushing Stewart further up, the only other options are Loudon or McKay and I cant see either of them making a difference.    Last year we had Cox or Cadden who could make a real impact on the wings.  What a difference a year makes?

I still think we can do if if the players dont shit the bed.   As usual we're our own worst enemies

16 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Since changing 6 games ago to a back 3 of McIntosh, Mensing and Gorman we've started to reduce the rate of goals conceded BUT we are still losing preventable goals.

If Wilson has actually analysed his video and made some fairly basic changes we have half a chance.

The other half a chance is harder to deal with.   I've written so many times this season that Brown goes missing versus the top teams.    I'd love to be proven wrong but Injust cant see him being much more than a bit part player.   Unfortunately Leitch is not reliable for any more.    Other than bringing in McGregor or Boateng to defence and pushing Stewart further up, the only other options are Loudon or McKay and I cant see either of them making a difference.    Last year we had Cox or Cadden who could make a real impact on the wings.  What a difference a year makes?

I still think we can do if if the players dont shit the bed.   As usual we're our own worst enemies

I might be on my own here but I think Loudon has a real chance of making a breakthrough, feel he just needs a run of games.

Does anyone know how old he is?

1 hour ago, Nipper said:

I might be on my own here but I think Loudon has a real chance of making a breakthrough, feel he just needs a run of games.

Does anyone know how old he is?

I like Louden and I thought McLaughlin was great when he was getting a game.

Seems they don't quite measure up to the high water mark set by MW though (!)

But what has happened with Leitchy? First half of the season I was really impressed and thought he was a really promising find. He's been invisible the last 5 or 6 months though, apart from that late equaliser against EF.

Just now, Nipper said:

That's for sure, I just feel the boy has got potential.

He has pace.   The few times I've seen him for 1st team or 20s as a striker he hasnt scored yet.     As a winger he could take men on and beat them plus je wasnt scared to win the ball back bit his decision making was awful,  he got in good positions but didnt deliver.

I'd be looking for an improvement in that tbh

3 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

He has pace.   The few times I've seen him for 1st team or 20s as a striker he hasnt scored yet.     As a winger he could take men on and beat them plus je wasnt scared to win the ball back bit his decision making was awful,  he got in good positions but didnt deliver.

I'd be looking for an improvement in that tbh

Fair enough, I've only seen glimpses of the boy when he's come on a few times as a sub. Always like players who can go past defenders.

Hopefully the boy can develop in time, everyone matures at different times.

Archived