Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely we are not attempting to resign Adams, Cairney, Docherty,, Rose, Gilmour(already signed I know) and Crawford. Six central midfielders straight away! Docherty, Cairney, Rose and Crawford at the very most, with Crawford probably better wide right.

Somewhere tae train ....get them running up the carrick hills wae lead boots oan ....ally style

They should be up there pulling mccall on a sledge in January

I've found him, everyone!! I've found John Hughes!

9 hours ago, Honestmen said:

Will Forest fill his potential this cominv season? Running out of patience 

Big season to prove his worth because he definitely got found out in the Championship.

Big season to prove his worth because he definitely got found out in the Championship.

To be fair to him he played the majority of the season out of position as a lone striker with nothing but high balls being knocked up to him.

I think some fans forget he's only 20 because he's been with us for so long.

10 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely we are not attempting to resign Adams, Cairney, Docherty,, Rose, Gilmour(already signed I know) and Crawford. Six central midfielders straight away! Docherty, Cairney, Rose and Crawford at the very most, with Crawford probably better wide right.

According to the post, yes.

Don't think Cairney was mentioned though. 

10 hours ago, Honestmen said:

Will Forest fill his potential this cominv season? Running out of patience 

He's never been given a consistent run in any position by McCall, and he wasn't by Roberts either. He'll never be able to establish any consistent level of performance unless McCall gives him a proper run of games in one position and gives him the freedom to take his time adjusting to it. He's not a natural winger and he'll never get used to playing out wide unless McCall stops chucking him in there once every few games and then hooking him after an hour.

49 minutes ago, Meathead said:

He's never been given a consistent run in any position by McCall, and he wasn't by Roberts either. He'll never be able to establish any consistent level of performance unless McCall gives him a proper run of games in one position and gives him the freedom to take his time adjusting to it. He's not a natural winger and he'll never get used to playing out wide unless McCall stops chucking him in there once every few games and then hooking him after an hour.

The thing is, what is his actual position? I think that's his problem. He was an exciting young player who scored goals, but has he developed at all? What do we do with him?

6 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

The thing is, what is his actual position? I think that's his problem. He was an exciting young player who scored goals, but has he developed at all? What do we do with him?

I think his best position would be as a 'number 10' behind the main striker. Unfortunately I think that's also McGuffie's best position, so at least one of them would need to go out wide. McGuffie is the most intelligent player in the team and I think he really needs to be allowed to dictate through the middle, and Forrest is the far quicker of the two, so him going out wide would seem to be the logical choice to me, provided the full back on that side is able to provide some width. No doubt Harkins will still be kicking about next season anyway and force them both out wide.

Forrest hasn't developed much recently, but, to flip it round, how can we reasonably expect him to have? He's a young player at part time level, he's been in and out the team and has played four positions this season (right, left, behind the striker, striker). Nobody would fare well under those circumstances. The only way he'll ever progress is with a regular run of games in whatever position McCall decides he wants to use him in. I think it'd be important for him to know that it doesn't matter if he has a poor game, because he'll be in again the next week. Obviously a string of poor games is a different matter, but having the manager show some faith in him is likely to have a particularly positive impact on a young creative player who's always likely to have a few poor games.

To be fair to McCall I can appreciate that the manager of a struggling team probably doesn't have the luxury of perservering with an inconsistent young player, but next season is a perfect opportunity to give Forrest a real try and see how he gets on.

Forrest has developed into a link man playing behind a centre forward.  To some degree that means you have to build a team around him playing that position and I'm just not sure he's quite good enough.  Alan Trouten had the same problem at Ayr playing at right midfield all the time.  Forrest definitely isn't a wide midfielder given his total lack of defensive capabilities and no one plays out and out wingers anymore.  I think we can all agree he isn't a centre forward!

Crawford has much the same problem - he isn't good enough at any one thing to let him pin down one particular position so he gets shuffled about all over the midfield which in turn impedes his development - vicious circle.  I think his best position is probably the furthest forward in a midfield 3, but again, we'd have to build the team around him to accommodate that approach.

2 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

We are keeping the Docherty, Gilmour, Crawford and promoting 2 midfielders from the youths.

Where'd you see this? If true the 2 youths will be Balfour and Faulds I'd imagine.

I'd expect us to keep Adams for another year as well. Cairney is a strange one but I'm sure he signed a two year deal but his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

Gilmour can leave as far as I'm concerned and I can see Wardrope leaving if we're bringing through more academy boys.

Tbh I never thought Gilmour was anything near a good enough player to be in an Ayr shirt.

I'm kind of excited about seeing Harkins a league below where we can dominate games. Think that's we were missing and hopefully we get a striker that can put the ball in the net at some point

Archived