Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

I'd like to think we could move Gilmour and Harkins on.  Quite ridiculous that we are offering terms to Rose and Adams.

Not really considering that Adams was good at League 1 last time and Rose has the makings of a decent player at that level. Plus Rose can play midfield and cover in defence if needed.

I do agree that Gilmour should be swiftly punted out the door. Harkins should in theory be a standout in this league especially if we're playing well but his fitness and attitude will be the problem.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Not really considering that Adams was good at League 1 last time and Rose has the makings of a decent player at that level. Plus Rose can play midfield and cover in defence if needed.

I do agree that Gilmour should be swiftly punted out the door. Harkins should in theory be a standout in this league especially if we're playing well but his fitness and attitude will be the problem.

Could possibly improve with the full time training....then again probably not.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Adams was good for a period of 6-8 weeks in the early part of last season.  The problem is that the guy clearly can't maintain his fitness levels.  He is a good player which is probably why teams stuck with him when he was younger despite chronic ongoing injury problems.  I admire the guy for making a respectable comeback after 3 years out the game, but we can't build a midfield around someone who can only give you 15 games a season.  

Rose is a waste of a wage.  End of story.  This is the mistake we made the last time we went full time under Ally - deluding ourselves that full time training will transform part time mediocrity.

Adams was good for a period of 6-8 weeks in the early part of last season.  The problem is that the guy clearly can't maintain his fitness levels.  He is a good player which is probably why teams stuck with him when he was younger despite chronic ongoing injury problems.  I admire the guy for making a respectable comeback after 3 years out the game, but we can't build a midfield around someone who can only give you 15 games a season.  
Rose is a waste of a wage.  End of story.  This is the mistake we made the last time we went full time under Ally - deluding ourselves that full time training will transform part time mediocrity.

Fifteen strong performances would do. No-one wants to build a team round him.

I didn't say that we would be building a team round him. The fact that he gives 15 good performances is good enough for the type of player he is. Even if he is only a bit part player I'd keep him as he has his uses.

As for Rose you can't really write off a player of 21 after one season where he didn't play every week. I'd give him another season and if he can't hack it at this level then we'll know what to do with him.

B*****d, I was hoping we had signed Higgins. Just the kind of defender you need in this division.

No inside knowledge or any such thing but I've been wondering if Dowie will sign for you lot. Like Higgins he'll sail through games in that division. If he wants to stay FT then Airdrie could be a good shout. I'm not sure if Russell and Conroy have re-signed but if they got on at Palmerston they may have a word with him about signing as well. I think I read that Dowie stays up that way as well.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No inside knowledge or any such thing but I've been wondering if Dowie will sign for you lot. Like Higgins he'll sail through games in that division. If he wants to stay FT then Airdrie could be a good shout. I'm not sure if Russell and Conroy have re-signed but if they got on at Palmerston they may have a word with him about signing as well. I think I read that Dowie stays up that way as well.

Interesting. Russell and Conroy are both signed up for next season, however with them and Marc Fitzpatrick being in their 30s I don't think we'd sign another senior player to be honest.

Although the owner/ management team/ club in general hasn't failed to surprise me the past couple of seasons to anything is possible.

FWIW, I think he'd be a decent signing. We are crying out for a couple of solid defenders.

Just now, somerset_lad00 said:

I didn't say that we would be building a team round him. The fact that he gives 15 good performances is good enough for the type of player he is. Even if he is only a bit part player I'd keep him as he has his uses.

As for Rose you can't really write off a player of 21 after one season where he didn't play every week. I'd give him another season and if he can't hack it at this level then we'll know what to do with him.

Available for selection 15 games a season.  Not quite the same thing.  Going full time is pointless if we are not going to raise the bar on the quality of player at the club.  The reason why we had players like that at the club is because the part time market is so poor - most part timers are little better than juniors.  The idea at Ayr was to establish ourselves as the premier part time team in Scotland and then hoover up the best part time talent.  That model hasn't worked.  

I've seen Rose a number of times now and quite honestly, I saw more potential in Mick Wardrope, though I wouldn't have offered him full time terms either. 

The odd thing is that after Docherty, Cairney is the next best central midfielder currently at the club and yet seems to be the only one not being offered terms.

Available for selection 15 games a season.  Not quite the same thing.  Going full time is pointless if we are not going to raise the bar on the quality of player at the club.  The reason why we had players like that at the club is because the part time market is so poor - most part timers are little better than juniors.  The idea at Ayr was to establish ourselves as the premier part time team in Scotland and then hoover up the best part time talent.  That model hasn't worked.  
I've seen Rose a number of times now and quite honestly, I saw more potential in Mick Wardrope, though I wouldn't have offered him full time terms either. 
The odd thing is that after Docherty, Cairney is the next best central midfielder currently at the club and yet seems to be the only one not being offered terms.

Yes full time should mean we sign better players, but you can't expect every single player to be of such a high standard. There's always going to be a handful of players that are good enough but not brilliant to fill in the gaps in case of injuries or suspensions.
It was going to be hard to assert ourselves as the best part time team in the country considering Dumbarton have been in the Championship for so long. They would have needed to go down and us stay up for that to happen.

Cairney is a good player but I can't see him getting a contract until he proves he can get into shape.

Just now, Kitty_Boy said:

IIRC McCall said he'd be 'speaking' to Adams, that doesn't necessarily mean offering him a contract.

He did say that in the interview but in the AP it mentioned he had been offered a new deal. 

43 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Jamie Adams played 25 games last season and 26 the season before.  Where 15 came from i have no idea. 

I think we're a worse team when he plays, but would be happy enough to have him as a squad player for League 1.

So at the minute assuming those offered deals sign we could be looking at something like:

----------------------Fleming---------------------
RB---------Meggat/Rose------Higgins-----Boyle
------------Crawford-------Docherty--------------
------Forrest-------Harkins---------McGuffie
------------------Striker------------------------

Should be decent enough for league 1 I would have thought. Still a concerning lack of width and a lot will depend on who we get up front I guess.

So at the minute assuming those offered deals sign we could be looking at something like:

Should be decent enough for league 1 I would have thought. Still a concerning lack of width and a lot will depend on who we get up front I guess.

I like the sound of big Striker playing up front. I must've missed his signing but we certainly have missed him in recent years.

1 hour ago, munro7 said:

That side does absolutely nothing for me, lacks pace,width,creativity and counter-attacking urgency, all backs to the shy line and wait for the ball types, it makes for pish football and hasn't worked for us so far.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

That side does absolutely nothing for me, lacks pace,width,creativity and counter-attacking urgency, all backs to the shy line and wait for the ball types, it makes for pish football and hasn't worked for us so far.

Having gifted us so many points over the last few years I wish Ayr well next season and would like to see The Moff back with you. I was a bit mean about him but I've become a huge fan this season. As a counter-attacking force he's superb. He'll pick up loose balls in the middle of the park and there's never any question of him fannying about - he's off up the park at top speed. The "pressure" of playing for us never seems to have rested easily on his shoulders and his shooting is usually terrible but I always get the impression he'd be better back within his comfort zone. Be happy enough to keep him but if he's back living in Ayrshire then it would seem a good move all-round. 

Archived