Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Billy Stark was the other interviewee.

On to any signings, there’s no real need to bring on another keeper. Bar the Raith away game, Harts not cost any points, in fact there have been a few games like Arbroath away where vital saves at 0-0 probably won us points. We have 2 decent young keepers in Avci and Hare-Reid competing with the 20s and I’m sure if Hart was to be out for a while we’d dip into the loan market. An experienced back up keeper is not needed.

I’d like to possibly see another left back or someone who can play left back/centre back. Fergusson is a good right back who can fill in on the left, but doesn’t look as comfortable. If possible I’d like another attacking minded CM like Crawford, or a wide player to allow Crawford to play through the middle.  Was thinking someone like Hopkirk that was released from Dunfermline not long ago, but seen he signed for Derry. 

On an interesting note, looks like the likes of Duffy and Hilson will be released from St Mirren in January,  dodged a bullet there!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billy Stark was the other interviewee.
On to any signings, there’s no real need to bring on another keeper. Bar the Raith away game, Harts not cost any points, in fact there have been a few games like Arbroath away where vital saves at 0-0 probably won us points. We have 2 decent young keepers in Avci and Hare-Reid competing with the 20s and I’m sure if Hart was to be out for a while we’d dip into the loan market. An experienced back up keeper is not needed.
I’d like to possibly see another left back or someone who can play left back/centre back. Fergusson is a good right back who can fill in on the left, but doesn’t look as comfortable. If possible I’d like another attacking minded CM like Crawford, or a wide player to allow Crawford to play through the middle.  Was thinking someone like Hopkirk that was released from Dunfermline not long ago, but seen he signed for Derry. 
On an interesting note, looks like the likes of Duffy and Hilson will be released from St Mirren in January,  dodged a bullet there!

I would be open to taking Hilson. He’s got a pretty good scoring record in this league for a wide player and could cover for Crawford if needed.

But as been said there’s no great need for new signings.

Ayr United boss Ian McCall says he won't leave - until the chairman kicks him out

Ian McCall insists he won’t be leaving Ayr United —unless he is booted out by the chairman.

But the manager hasn’t ruled out taking on a different role at the club as he looks to the future.

McCall spoke out as Ayr head to East Fife on Saturday, looking to equal a 49-year club record with their ninth win on the spin.

And it could be a full strength team, with Robbie Crawford ready to return — while Andy Geggan and Ross Docherty could also make it.

And Jamie Adams, who is normally rested on the astro, could feature in Fife.

McCall hinted in a national newspaper that he is unsure if he will commit to another stint as manager when his contract expires.

However, he told the Post: “There is no chance of me leaving the club — I’m here until they kick me out. I have still got all the drive in the world for Ayr and have no ambition to go elsewhere.

“I will see how the season pans out. It’s going well at the moment but it’s only halfway and we haven’t achieved anything yet.

“Maybe my future further down the line will be to help run the full-time part of the club and help the manager out.

“That is me thinking about the future when everything is possible. I’m not ruling anything out, but am 100-per-cent committed to Ayr United.”

McCall reckons the trip to Methil will be tough, adding: “We couldn’t be going to a harder place as East Fife haven’t been beaten there for a while.

“We’ll have to be on the ball but we’re going there on a good run of results.

“However, we’re playing far too open and leaving ourselves exposed.”

Raith’s last-gasp 2-2 draw at Airdrie on Sunday means Ayr are now five points clear, albeit with a game more played.

And they have more records in sight. They last had nine consecutive wins in season 1968/69 when they actually won 10 between November and February.

JS134843032.jpg

16 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I’m sure Billy Stark was favourite for the job just a couple of days before McCall got it. Not sure if he was actually in for it though.

If Raith are way off then they’ll probably cash Vaughan in. If there’s a chance to catch us then I could see Smith punted out the door and a new manager brought in.

IMHO.

Unless things pick up for us if an English  Championship club, or English Div 1, were to come in for him in January then he'd be definitely off.

I'd hate to see it mind .

We'd then have riots in the streets of Raith!!

30 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

IMHO.

Unless things pick up for us if an English  Championship club, or English Div 1, were to come in for him in January then he'd be definitely off.

:lol:

IMHO.

It’s more likely that a Scottish Championship or Premiership team would come for him.

37 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

It’s more likely that a Scottish Championship or Premiership team would come for him.

Fair play.

However, since our midfield has gone absent( in fact he is currently the midfield!!) his scoring rate has gone down.

He can definitely  perform at a far higher level and, if things don't change, I suspect he'll  be off in the January window.

I could be wrong and  I'd hate to think of Raith without him this season!! 

Devlin put a picture on twitter of him wearing an Ayr United hat, if that’s not a come and get me plea then I don’t know what is :lol:

In other news I noticed on the Airdrie thread that Wills Furtado is out of contact in  January. Watched the game on Sunday and he was very dece. Wouldn’t mind us taking punt on him he can play winger or upfront. 

I don't think Shearer ever played at Ayr, he was in the middle of a move to Blackburn when we played Southampton, the Blackburn game they played Stuart Ripley up front and Willie Spence cleared him and the ball at a 50/50  and Steven Glass was the only "first team" player anywhere near the Newcastle team when we played them in JT's testimonial

I don't think Shearer ever played at Ayr, he was in the middle of a move to Blackburn when we played Southampton, the Blackburn game they played Stuart Ripley up front and Willie Spence cleared him and the ball at a 50/50  and Steven Glass was the only "first team" player anywhere near the Newcastle team when we played them in JT's testimonial

Lualua played

Archived