Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Rather worrying article in the Sun then about McCall.
Sounds like he's been offered an extension but isn't convinced by it,  surprised that his contract is up at the end of this season because i thought he'd signed an extension last year which would take him through this season and next season.

I like him but I think winning the league this season in what could potentially be one of our best seasons would be a great way for him to sign off his career with us. If he stays then I’ll be happy but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last year.

Would be interested to see what he plans to do afterwards. Whether he stays with us in some capacity or goes to another club. He did say he had strong ties with Partick Thistle.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I like him but I think winning the league this season in what could potentially be one of our best seasons would be a great way for him to sign off his career with us. If he stays then I’ll be happy but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last year.

Would be interested to see what he plans to do afterwards. Whether he stays with us in some capacity or goes to another club. He did say he had strong ties with Partick Thistle.

Don't think he's interested in a return to the premiership but has always said about 'moving upstairs', presumes he means into a director of football role or something.

Don't think he's interested in a return to the premiership but has always said about 'moving upstairs', presumes he means into a director of football role or something.

Yeah that’s what I meant. Director of football is becoming more popular in Scotland so that might happen.

That would suit him as he lives a stones throw from Thistle. Maybe he is getting tired of it all and fancies a less hands on role.

The more I read that article, sounds like he is just about ready to chuck it.

Expect no extension, run things down to the end of the season, sign off with the title and goodbye Mr McCall.

Please, please, please make this NOT the case and he signs a 2 year extension over Christmas.

Stevie Aitken, in ye come pal. 

One of my first choices as well. Even since his Stranraer days I would’ve taken him as manager.

I’m pretty sure I read that he’s got no interest in full time management since he’s got a pretty decent day job as it is.

27 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

One of my first choices as well. Even since his Stranraer days I would’ve taken him as manager.

I’m pretty sure I read that he’s got no interest in full time management since he’s got a pretty decent day job as it is.

Yeah he’s a manager of a car dealership I think however I’m sure he applied for the Raith job before Barry Smith got it. 

Maybe a bit early for this sorta chat but it’s only 3 weeks away, Are we expecting a busy January transfer window down Somerset way? 

We've still got our full quota of loanees to use if required. It’s 5 your allowed isn’t it? 

The key was getting Shankland signed up which we’ve managed to do and Ferguson is expected to follow. 

The only outgoing I can see is maybe Crawford but with him out of contract at the end of the season then I’d imagine clubs will just wait to then and get him on a free. I’d try and punt Gilmour to Stranraer or someone on loan. 

I’d like to see us get some of our key players signed up for next season. AFAIK we already have Higgins, Geggan and Moffat all signed up which is a decent spine of the team. I’d like to see more follow but without knowing what league we’ll be in I’m not sure if that will be possible. 

Reckon Ferguson will sign this week.

Can’t see any outgoings unless it’s a couple of the youngsters going out on loan but even that seems unlikely given that most of our bench is made up of it.

Doubt we’ll be going ahead with that emergency left back considering Boyle is back but it wouldn’t surprise me if he went for a loanee midfielder or defender given the injuries we’ve had.

There’s not many players in the squad that will want to commit to next season at this moment. Higgins, Geggan and Moffat know this is probably their last club so were more than happy to sign on.

There’s not many good free agents out there worth signing so I reckon it’ll be a pretty quiet January.

I'd be very surprised and concerned for the future if McCall wasn't here next season in any capacity.

However if there was another restructuring behind the scenes over the summer, if you want to call it that and McCall did move into a director of Football role at the club who would come in as gaffer?

I'd be very surprised and concerned for the future if McCall wasn't here next season in any capacity.
However if there was another restructuring behind the scenes over the summer, if you want to call it that and McCall did move into a director of Football role at the club who would come in as gaffer?

I can’t see him not being here in some way.

It’s hard to imagine him convincing Cameron to go full time for the next few years and making plans for it and then leaving us.

I’d also imagine there’s a few players in that squad that are there because McCall is manager and would be out the door if he left.

Does anyone know who the other candidate was for the job mentioned in the article?

Doubt there's any money to bring in players outside of loans, I would sign an experienced back-up goalie as I think Hart could benefit from learning from someone like that, the same way i think Rose has from Higgins. It'll be interesting to see what Raith do, if they pull a St Mirren or just sell Vaughn.

Does anyone know who the other candidate was for the job mentioned in the article?
Doubt there's any money to bring in players outside of loans, I would sign an experienced back-up goalie as I think Hart could benefit from learning from someone like that, the same way i think Rose has from Higgins. It'll be interesting to see what Raith do, if they pull a St Mirren or just sell Vaughn.

I’m sure Billy Stark was favourite for the job just a couple of days before McCall got it. Not sure if he was actually in for it though.

If Raith are way off then they’ll probably cash Vaughan in. If there’s a chance to catch us then I could see Smith punted out the door and a new manager brought in.

51 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Graeme Smith will be available in January (I hope)

Archived