Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Our problems are at both ends unfortunately. If we’re to have any chance of winning the league we need to be clinical. Moffat in particular needs to start scoring goals as does McDaid.

On the flip side I’d agree that our defence isn’t that good. Higgins is a good defender and Rose has the makings of one but lacks experience. I can’t think of any goals that either of those have been directly responsible for. However we’ve been very vulnerable from set pieces again this season. I expected the switch to full time to help this since they’d get more time working on how to defend them but every time we give a corner away I’m praying they don’t concede.

I’m a fan of Rose but if Reid is fit I’d give him a game with Higgins to see how we get on. Maybe two experienced heads at the back will help but if it doesn’t then Scally or McCall need to do better in training to get the team prepared at set pieces.

I thought we looked strangely comfortable at the back - but obviously conceding two goals at home when we've dominated is pretty shit.

The corner was needless, but it was a cracking delivery and unstoppable header.

I wasn't really sure what happened at the second goal. Long ball in and then a fucking cracking volley. Was that Boyle's man at the back post or were centre backs at fault?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, pandarilla said:

I thought we looked strangely comfortable at the back - but obviously conceding two goals at home when we've dominated is pretty shit.

The corner was needless, but it was a cracking delivery and unstoppable header.

I wasn't really sure what happened at the second goal. Long ball in and then a fucking cracking volley. Was that Boyle's man at the back post or were centre backs at fault?

Check the highlights.  Our 2 centre backs are static and marking fresh air.  Neither one attacks the cross, they are both waiting.  That's no use and is a clear example of why we look vulnerable to any cross, set piece or high ball into the box.  

Check the highlights.  Our 2 centre backs are static and marking fresh air.  Neither one attacks the cross, they are both waiting.  That's no use and is a clear example of why we look vulnerable to any cross, set piece or high ball into the box.  

Please tell everybody how to attack a ball that is 10 feet over you head..the two centre backs are in a good position for a cross into the box..there are no opposition players to pick up and neither was static..also I dont think Boyle's position is too bad...sometimes you have to give credit to players and in this case the cross was superb taking out the entire defence..the strike was superb, not an easy skill to perfect and 19 times out of 20 that ends up on the railway...Hart makes a great stop but the ball falls nicely for the Airdrie boy, showing good awareness, to knock it home.

7 hours ago, conley said:

Please tell everybody how to attack a ball that is 10 feet over you head..the two centre backs are in a good position for a cross into the box..there are no opposition players to pick up and neither was static..also I dont think Boyle's position is too bad...sometimes you have to give credit to players and in this case the cross was superb taking out the entire defence..the strike was superb, not an easy skill to perfect and 19 times out of 20 that ends up on the railway...Hart makes a great stop but the ball falls nicely for the Airdrie boy, showing good awareness, to knock it home.

Absolute rubbish.  There are no opposition players to pick up?  It's a corner kick!  What about the 3 players overloading the from post, one of whom scores the goal?  Defenders need to attack the ball, not stand and wait.  The only benefit of the doubt I would give Rose and Higgins is that we appear to be employing zonal marking, which points the finger at the manager for setting us up wrong.  

Bottom line is the Airdire player gets a free run at the ball and gets a free header from 6 yards - that is unacceptable at any level of football, I don't care how good the delivery is.  If you take it back, we defend the first corner in exactly the same way, with none of our defenders winning the first ball and Hart electing to flap at the cross and knock it away for the corner they score from.

Paddy Boyle is a decent defender, but he was fast asleep at the second goal.  It was a good shot, but if the full back is tighter on his man, he doesn't get the shot away in the first place.  

Can you imagine if we had a John Hughes/Willie Jamieson/Sanny McAnespie in the team and we lost that goal?  I can imagine how that conversation might go..   

Now John/Willie/Sanny, you've just lost a goal from a free header at a corner kick to a team that haven't mustered a shot at goal to that point.  Do you:

a) Accept that it was a good delivery and a good header and there's nothing you can do about it.

b) Go ape s*** mental and demand to know who the f*** was supposed to be marking that man and why the f*** weren't they doing it?

Option A anyone?

Even playing in midfield he could have picked up a player at that corner in theory

True, I think we're much weaker defensively from set pieces than we are from open play.

Our players are just too small and I blame genetics.

47 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Looks fucking tiny

Aye it was, plus it's a fair bit from the city centre. If you're on the bus it's no so bad if you have the bus picking you up in the city centre to take you there from the pub (awfa pain in the arse is the traffic here) but if you're on the train or staying then it's a taxi.

Archived