Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

I don't understand why none of the defenders have been brought into the first team squad during our injury crisis.

McCall in his wisdom sent Waite, Ballantyne and Thorburn all out in loan and they can’t be recalled. The rest of the 20s defenders are all under 18 and this is their first full years at that level.

Will be interesting next season if both teams go up as to who’ll do better. If Raiths poor away form carries over which it might considering it’s pretty much down to Smiths tactics then they could struggle although I’d expect them to sign some decent players.

It’ll potentially be much harder next season as they’re might not be any part time teams that will automatically be favourites to finish last.

The issue I’ve got with us going through the play offs is that it sets us 2 weeks behind everyone else in terms of signing new players and renewing contracts.

Will be interesting next season if both teams go up as to who’ll do better. If Raiths poor away form carries over which it might considering it’s pretty much down to Smiths tactics then they could struggle although I’d expect them to sign some decent players.

It’ll potentially be much harder next season as they’re might not be any part time teams that will automatically be favourites to finish last.

The issue I’ve got with us going through the play offs is that it sets us 2 weeks behind everyone else in terms of signing new players and renewing contracts.
Potentially harder if we get promoted?

Surely not.

I also think the two week set back thing is exaggerated a bit. Players will generally wait and see what's happening, and we don't want to completely rip it up and start again anyway.

I might be taking mince but isn’t our away form just as shite as your home form?

Potentially harder if we get promoted?

Surely not.

I also think the two week set back thing is exaggerated a bit. Players will generally wait and see what's happening, and we don't want to completely rip it up and start again anyway.

Going up I feel much more confident in this squads ability compared to last season. I think there is still a lot to improve on but we won’t be able to do that all at once.

If we go up it’s crucial that we prioritise our defence and then midfield. If we can be hard to beat then we’ll have a good chance but McCall doesn’t exactly have a great defensive record with us so far.

I might be taking mince but isn’t our away form just as shite as your home form?

Dunno how much is in it but it can’t be that much tbh.

We play better when teams try and attack but the majority of teams sit in at Somerset and we struggle to break them down.

Going up I feel much more confident in this squads ability compared to last season. I think there is still a lot to improve on but we won’t be able to do that all at once.

If we go up it’s crucial that we prioritise our defence and then midfield. If we can be hard to beat then we’ll have a good chance but McCall doesn’t exactly have a great defensive record with us so far.
Think Higgins coming back in next season with championship experience will be important if that's where we end up. Could work well alongside Bell in my opinion and even Rose seems to have improved a lot.

Could potentially work well as a back three but too early to start talking about this stuff so I'll shut up.

Dunno how much is in it but it can’t be that much tbh.

We play better when teams try and attack but the majority of teams sit in at Somerset and we struggle to break them down.
I also think we lack urgency at home. It really irritates me as quite often when we need a late goal we're much more aggressive and threatening.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I would much rather have the young guys out on loan getting experience and play a couple of guys out of position instead of having them sitting rotting on the bench where they’re never going to improve.

The thing is, guys like Waite, Faulds, McCowan, Murphy, Hilton should have around 10 appearances as subs each. How many games August - January were we cruising games by 3 or 4 goals with 20+ minutes left and instead we’d bring a Gilmour on and learn absolutely nothing. Now they are just bench fillers where as if they had the experience from Subs appearances they could have contributed in the run in. Take the East Stirling game for example, quite a few started and made an impact, never to be given a chance again. All about squad management.

The thing is, guys like Waite, Faulds, McCowan, Murphy, Hilton should have around 10 appearances as subs each. How many games August - January were we cruising games by 3 or 4 goals with 20+ minutes left and instead we’d bring a Gilmour on and learn absolutely nothing. Now they are just bench fillers where as if they had the experience from Subs appearances they could have contributed in the run in. Take the East Stirling game for example, quite a few started and made an impact, never to be given a chance again. All about squad management.

Agree with this. The fact that Gilmour has since left makes this more frustrating as guys like Murphy etc could’ve shown what they are capable of.

Even in the games vs Banks O’Dee we put out a full side when we should’ve been looking at having a mix of youth and senior players.

Someone on SRE Facebook page actually brought up a good point with Alloa wanting to get a result against Raith so they can try and finish 3rd. Therefore they'll avoid Dumbarton possibly in the semis of the play off.

Believe this will happen, I do genuinely believe they'll take something off of Raith.

Archived