Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames and abused for this but does anyone else feel absolutely gutted for Craig Moore?
He looked distraught at the final whistle and all the players fucked off and left him sitting on the pitch, was pleased some fans were signing there's only one Craig Moore.
Watching the penalty again i think he was too pumped up for it and Moffatt or Forrest should have taken it.

Yeah agree .he will be even more gutted than any of us fan's .which must be suicidal cause this is hard too take [emoji24]

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even some of the best players in the world have missed important penalties. Even Baggio, who carried Italy to the World Cup Final, ended up missing the vital penalty.
 At least Moore had the balls to step up when there was so much at stake.
I refuse to criticise him because he has scored alot of important goals for us despite not necessarily being a starter. Of the few players to emerge from Saturday's game with any sort of credit he's one of them. 

I refuse to criticise any of them yesterday even Geggan who sold the second goal. He clearly wasn’t fit yet jumped into our biggest game to help us.

I get why fans want McCall sacked but I’m not exaggerating when I say the majority of that squad is there because of him. If he leaves anyone out of contract could possibly go. That leaves us with 4 players under contract for next year.

I think he’ll resign if we stay down but who knows what’ll happen if we go up. It’s unlikely now though.

7 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

I refuse to criticise any of them yesterday even Geggan who sold the second goal. He clearly wasn’t fit yet jumped into our biggest game to help us.

I get why fans want McCall sacked but I’m not exaggerating when I say the majority of that squad is there because of him. If he leaves anyone out of contract could possibly go. That leaves us with 4 players under contract for next year.

I think he’ll resign if we stay down but who knows what’ll happen if we go up. It’s unlikely now though.

A couple of weeks ago to most Ayr fans McCall was the man and everything was fine.

I'm very unhappy with the last two games but we CAN technically still win the league and can still get promoted so our season isn't over yet. No point blaming people and generating negativity yet.

I was hoping we would avoid the playoffs as they will be very tricky as Alloa and Arbroath are no mugs, but if that's where we end up (which looks very likely now) then so be it.

22 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

I’m not going to sugar coat it, that absolutely broke my heart yesterday. It’s been such a good season, full of twists and turns and so many emotions. Traveling to 35 games has taken its toll for me and 24 hours later, I’m still absolutely devastated beyond belief. I just still can’t believe it. I didn’t sleep last night and all I’ve done since is think about the many things that if one of them didn’t happen, we’d be golden.

After watching us this season, it’s crystal clear that even if they have their flaws, we’re immeasurably weaker without Boyle, a fully fit Geggan and Docherty in our 11. That’s cost us massively.

We have been so unlucky with injuries to big players so many times and this time it’s happened to too many at the wrong time. I mean we had Doc, Robbie and Geggan all out at the same time for almost 2-3 months. Then Higgins gets a season ending injury. Boyle has missed loads of games. We tried forcing it with Geggan twice. We narrowly got away with it at Airdrie and paid the ultimate price for it yesterday. Feel so sorry for him.

And yes, having seen all 8 games, I do not fancy us to beat Arbroath or Alloa in the play offs. They’ve both offered far more of a danger than Raith.

By what I’ve seen this season, right now with our growing injury list, we simply don’t have the squad to win the play offs and I dare say this pain will ease but right now I just can’t even think about them to any extent.

With how our injury predicament has panned out over the last few seasons, there's something deeper at work than just bad luck. It just seems to be the same cycle of injuries at the same time of the year.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

A couple of weeks ago to most Ayr fans McCall was the man and everything was fine.

I'm very unhappy with the last two games but we CAN technically still win the league and can still get promoted so our season isn't over yet. No point blaming people and generating negativity yet.

I was hoping we would avoid the playoffs as they will be very tricky as Alloa and Arbroath are no mugs, but if that's where we end up (which looks very likely now) then so be it.

That’s the attitude around the club that just doesn’t sit with me. Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions, but the acceptance of failure after failure is why we never win or progress. 3 games to go, 5 points in front to being 1 point behind going into the final game is just unacceptable IMO.

Lawrence Shankland will be back and he’ll be angry and fire us all the way to the Championship. Be nice if he stayed with us next season! 
I've heard that he's signing with us to play with Lewis Vaughan next season. But only if we go up and you don't.

That’s the attitude around the club that just doesn’t sit with me. Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions, but the acceptance of failure after failure is why we never win or progress. 3 games to go, 5 points in front to being 1 point behind going into the final game is just unacceptable IMO.

I don’t think there’s an acceptance of failure but they can’t do anything about it now. Each and every one of those players will be gutted as will McCall but they can’t sit around and feel sorry for themselves. They’ve got to get on with on with it.

I don’t blame Shankland for getting sent off, I don’t blame Moore for missing a penalty and I don’t blame Geggan for giving away a goal. I can’t even blame the manager because it wasn’t his fault we lost yesterday.

Mistakes have been made throughout the season but we were still good enough to get this far. We should’ve at least had a draw yesterday but we don’t so all we can do now is support the lads on Saturday and through the play offs if that’s what happens.

If we win the play offs, great. If we don’t then McCall won’t need to be told to go, he’ll just walk then we’ll see what happens.

12 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

I don’t think there’s an acceptance of failure but they can’t do anything about it now. Each and every one of those players will be gutted as will McCall but they can’t sit around and feel sorry for themselves. They’ve got to get on with on with it.

I don’t blame Shankland for getting sent off, I don’t blame Moore for missing a penalty and I don’t blame Geggan for giving away a goal. I can’t even blame the manager because it wasn’t his fault we lost yesterday.

Mistakes have been made throughout the season but we were still good enough to get this far. We should’ve at least had a draw yesterday but we don’t so all we can do now is support the lads on Saturday and through the play offs if that’s what happens.

If we win the play offs, great. If we don’t then McCall won’t need to be told to go, he’ll just walk then we’ll see what happens.

I've never called for him to go but I'll not miss him in the slightest.

I've never called for him to go but I'll not miss him in the slightest.

Same

Once they’re gone then that’s it. He’ll thanks for the season we went up and the football that he got us playing this season but that’s it.

The only issue I’ve got is Cameron needs to know who he’s appointing quickly. It’ll likely be someone out of contract and there’s not a lot out there.

But it’s all hypothetical right now until we know what division we’re in.

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I'm not for a minute saying that I accept not winning the league because it's clear to everyone that we have thrown our lead away by losing two winnable games. To me that's failure.

However, promotion is still achievable although even if we win the playoffs it won't gloss over what an arse we've made of our title challenge, and I'd be inclined to say that McCall should go even if we win the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'm not for a minute saying that I accept not winning the league because it's clear to everyone that we have thrown our lead away by losing two winnable games. To me that's failure.

However, promotion is still achievable although even if we win the playoffs it won't gloss over what an arse we've made of our title challenge, and I'd be inclined to say that McCall should go even if we win the playoffs or win the league.

7 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

I don’t blame Shankland for getting sent off, I don’t blame Moore for missing a penalty... 

Shankland’s some player but his stupidity may have cost you big time. 

Brutal penalty too. Can't help but think that he was playing to the crowd with the big blast when a placed shot low and hard was the most sensible option. 

He was already soaking up the adulation in his head before he stepped up. 

9 hours ago, Growl3th said:
10 hours ago, Number1IsJamieAdams said:
Lawrence Shankland will be back and he’ll be angry and fire us all the way to the Championship. Be nice if he stayed with us next season! 

I've heard that he's signing with us to play with Lewis Vaughan next season. But only if we go up and you don't.

Yeah, I read that.

A fortnight is a long time in football. I reckon the semi final might be a bit subdued but if we get to the playoff final we'll be buzzing again.

Win that, and a lot of the bridges will be mended.

I think that’s true. It had a similar feeling to 2008/9 when we fucked it, I traveled to Peterhead for the last game with about 5 folk from Aberdeen and we were the only ones there. The place was busier for the semi and just two weeks later at Airdrie the place was going nuts.

Brutal penalty too. Can't help but think that he was playing to the crowd with the big blast when a placed shot low and hard was the most sensible option. 
He was already soaking up the adulation in his head before he stepped up. 

Nope. It was a terrible penalty, yes, but that’s how he’s hit every penalty I’ve seen him take.

Archived