Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

I'm all for the playoffs, but there should be a tweak to give more balance and reward.

I'd say third should play ninth, with the winner playing second in the final.

Fourth place always seems like too much of a stretch to me - and the home advantage for ninth is ridiculous.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Explain please ?
In what way is a team finishing 2nd, having then to beat a team finishing below them, to in reality, finish back above them, anything other than "stupid" ?
Think about it, and then tell me again who's stupid ? or are you too "stupid" to understand this ???

That's right mate, the whole of the SPFL are the stupid ones and you're the only person who can see the sense.

This classic meltdown material. The playoffs have benefited what was a boring and stale, dated system. East Fife, Stranrear, Arbroath, Alloa and Ayr have all had playoff places to play for throughout the season which keeps the league alive all the way to the last game of the on some occasions. If there hadn't been playoffs this season then League One would have been a farce. What competition would there have been for all the wee teams below us?

I hope your keyboard has its waterproof cover on for all those tears [emoji24]

2 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

That's right mate, the whole of the SPFL are the stupid ones and you're the only person who can see the sense.

This classic meltdown material. The playoffs have benefited what was a boring and stale, dated system. East Fife, Stranrear, Arbroath, Alloa and Ayr have all had playoff places to play for throughout the season which keeps the league alive all the way to the last game of the on some occasions. If there hadn't been playoffs this season then League One would have been a farce. What competition would there have been for all the wee teams below us?

I hope your keyboard has its waterproof cover on for all those tears emoji24.png

10 team league the problem, playing same team to many times, bigger league with 2 up and 2 down was more competitive and interesting dont know why it was changed, partly to blame for dwindling crowds.

The playoffs are a s*** system.  Basically designed to protect teams in the higher league from automatic relegation.  It’s also a pretty dumb argument to say that the team who finishes 4th deserves to get promotion by virtue of stumbling through a play off which can easily degenerate into a lottery (exhibit A: Brechin) but the team who finishes 2nd over the course of the season doesn’t on the basis they weren’t good enough over the season to win the league.  They may generate excitement, but that’s the equivalent of shaking some keys in front of a baby and saying “ooh, shiny”.

I don’t think we’ll recover from the disappointment of chucking the league away, but on the off chance we do make it to the final, there is also the small matter of Dumbarton’s ground being way too small to cope with the crowd size.

Bigger league's is what scottish football needs.but this is no way an excuse for super ayr handing the title to raith .and yeah I am one of they knobs that took the day off because I thought it was going to be the day we clinched the title [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

10 team league the problem, playing same team to many times, bigger league with 2 up and 2 down was more competitive and interesting dont know why it was changed, partly to blame for dwindling crowds.

If there had been 16 teams in this league then what competition would someone like Alloa had throughout this season? Crows dwindling was around the same time of the leagues changing but also TV started to play a bigger role about that time as well? At the end of the day, it is what it is and the vast majority of people within Scottish Football prefer it this way as there is excitement for more teams and it does provide us with a bit more entertainment than just 2 up and 2 down. Our clubs were allowed to vote on the matter and I think the best option won in the end. No point in moaning about them now that Ayr are in them.

15 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Bigger league's is what scottish footb.all needsbut this is no way an excuse for super ayr handing the title to raith .and yeah I am one of they knobs that took the day off because I thought it was going to be the day we clinched the title emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

You.ve hit the nail on the head their pal. Sorry to intervene in your thread but i have always said the scottish league format is their only for the chosen few. Its all about money and can you imagine the likes of dundee or aberdeen every agreeing to a larger two division set up. No ways because to them its all about money.

Whats needed is a two tier system, spl and championship 21 teams in each league playing each other two times only, home and away. 3 up and 3 down. Over a period of time this would generate much more revenue for the smaller clubs and definately increase the standard of scottish football.

But hey ho what can we do when its the greedy money men  who decide whats what.

You.ve hit the nail on the head their pal. Sorry to intervene in your thread but i have always said the scottish league format is their only for the chosen few. Its all about money and can you imagine the likes of dundee or aberdeen every agreeing to a larger two division set up. No ways because to them its all about money.
Whats needed is a two tier system, spl and championship 21 teams in each league playing each other two times only, home and away. 3 up and 3 down. Over a period of time this would generate much more revenue for the smaller clubs and definately increase the standard of scottish football.
But hey ho what can we do when its the greedy money men  who decide whats what.

The system clearly works in England don't see why it wouldn't work here. Only one problem, If the old firm don't want it either will the SFA

As funny as us chucking this is, us and Raith have been doing this all season long and them chucking it in amongst us doing the same could just be magic.

52 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What's with all these interlopers on our thread? :o

Leave us to wallow in our collective self pity. 

Nope.

It's far, far too funny watching Ayr fans cry about the playoffs while simultaneously crowd wanking over the numbers that'll miss out should they get to Dumbarton. 

Waaaaaay too funny.

I’m genuinely confused with this constant “crowd wanking” jab that Raith keep firing at us? Like it’s meant to be an insult.

So you don’t think we should be proud that a team in League 1 can on occasion take more to away games than some SPL teams? 

Is it just sheer embarrassment over the fact the only 90 Rovers fans travelled to watch the penultimate game of your league winning season?

Not convinced going up through the playoffs is for the best. The 2-3 week head start every other team has in putting together next year's team can be hard to overcome. Not gone through all the seasons, but i believe it's very rare for a team to be promoted to the Championship through the playoffs and not be relegated the next season.

In theory Ayr would start as heavy favourites to win this division next year if we don't go up. But being in this league is pretty miserable as it is...

Hard to say which outcome would leave us in a better situation for 2020 and beyond.

3 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

I’m genuinely confused with this constant “crowd wanking” jab that Raith keep firing at us? Like it’s meant to be an insult.

So you don’t think we should be proud that a team in League 1 can on occasion take more to away games than some SPL teams? 

Is it just sheer embarrassment over the fact the only 90 Rovers fans travelled to watch the penultimate game of your league winning season?

Tbf, we've had consistently better home attendances over the course of the season than yourselves. We had a chance to blow the title on Saturday, on the back of a 3 hour bus ride. You had the chance to win the title if that happened, so plenty of buses got booked up for it.  It's a game where people would want to say they were there. Exactly the same for any bumps we get on Saturday to the hangers on. 

1 minute ago, Oor Willis said:

Tbf, we've had consistently better home attendances over the course of the season than yourselves. We had a chance to blow the title on Saturday, on the back of a 3 hour bus ride. You had the chance to win the title if that happened, so plenty of buses got booked up for it.  It's a game where people would want to say they were there. Exactly the same for any bumps we get on Saturday to the hangers on. 

Yeah the “crawling out the woodwork for glory” brigade always come out in force when there’s a sniff of it right at the death. Yous will get the same on Saturday to see Raith lift the trophy. Then they all crawl back again. It’s just what people do but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t piss me off. Never quite understood it.

Someone suggesting a 21 team league. [emoji23]

10 is perfect. Everyone with something to play for right till the end. Could you imagine the number of meaningless games that would get played. Imagine the number of teams who punters and locals would have zero interest in.

Probably one of the worst suggestions I’ve ever heard of.

Comparing it to England is also very stupid.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Someone suggesting a 21 team league. emoji23.png

10 is perfect. Everyone with something to play for right till the end. Could you imagine the number of meaningless games that would get played. Imagine the number of teams who punters and locals would have zero interest in.

Probably one of the worst suggestions I’ve ever heard of.

Comparing it to England is also very stupid.

Isnt it just as boring playing the same teams 4 times a season and maybe 6 times. Also isnt it just as boring knowing that if you cant get into the top 4. Its a two way sword pal. And to put it into perspective, if both ayr and rovers go up wheres the support coming from. ?? The only real way to get more money into scottish football is two divisions of 21, and after 3 or 4 years when bigger clubs have dropped down see what other smaller clubs can do with the extra cash. 

Isnt it just as boring playing the same teams 4 times a season and maybe 6 times. Also isnt it just as boring knowing that if you cant get into the top 4. Its a two way sword pal. And to put it into perspective, if both ayr and rovers go up wheres the support coming from. ?? The only real way to get more money into scottish football is two divisions of 21, and after 3 or 4 years when bigger clubs have dropped down see what other smaller clubs can do with the extra cash. 

Where’s what support coming from???

And no it’s not boring at all. You play a team once every 10/11 weeks, what would be boring is having a game halfway into the season 8th against 13th where both teams have absolutely f**k all to play for.

Who is going to give two fucks about that?

The league structure is perfect, the only thing that needs to change is the relegation from league 2.

Hamilton v Ross County looks really tasty this weekend, would I f**k sit and watch that if it was 10th v 12th in a 21 team league. But with both of them battling it out at the bottom it makes it exciting.

Look how much crowds went up for Hibs and St Mirren off the back of a season where they could potentially win something.

The league this season has brought the best out of both Rovers and Ayrs support. Would over 4000 turn up if it was 6th v 7th in the league above?

Two 21 team leagues would do nothing but make a vast majority of teams boring.

You’re slavering.

Archived