Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Moffat was the only player to get pass marks in that first half. He was trying to make something happen but unfortunately can't do it all himself.

Yup, was the only player to get pass marks.

Several times when Moffat was on the ball it was screaming out for someone out on the left but Crawford decided offering five yards away from him in a sea of bodies was better every single time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you've fucked this right up haven't you?

I have a vision that our loan child at Alloa, Callum Smith, will come on as a late sub on Saturday and sink the wee team, thereby presenting you with the title (if you can stop being shite long enough to beat the other Rovers). Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup, was the only player to get pass marks.

Several times when Moffat was on the ball it was screaming out for someone out on the left but Crawford decided offering five yards away from him in a sea of bodies was better every single time.

Players were standing too close together and not moving enough in the first half. There were also too many high balls forward to no one in particular. I think we would have been better trying to keep possession and keep the ball on the deck and build attacks rather than desperately boot the ball forward to nobody.

30 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

I don't buy that. Livvy have gone on to do very well with the guts of the same squad.

Morton also went up and stayed up.  Dumbarton and Alloa have also done the same in the not too distant past.

Only really Brechin have been utterly shambolic.

Buy it mate

Livi have a hell of lot of new players and a very good manager, they also seem to have money again......

Look at the Championship next year, I am glad we are still not trying to get out of it

Lets say Sons go down and are replaced by Ayr in POs

Caley will be stronger, as will Bairns, United cant be any worse, Pars, Livi ( if they don't go up) Ton, QOS, and lets say County or Hamilton or Thistle thrown in with a big parachute payment....

For me Raith are unlucky, timing was just poor with Yogi, but Ayr are not a Championship club, and McColl is one of worse managers out ...... I do hope Raith make it, great wee club and good fan base. Ayr are just Rangers rejects

Buy it mate

Livi have a hell of lot of new players and a very good manager, they also seem to have money again......
Look at the Championship next year, I am glad we are still not trying to get out of it

Lets say Sons go down and are replaced by Ayr in POs

Caley will be stronger, as will Bairns, United cant be any worse, Pars, Livi ( if they don't go up) Ton, QOS, and lets say County or Hamilton or Thistle thrown in with a big parachute payment....
For me Raith are unlucky, timing was just poor with Yogi, but Ayr are not a Championship club, and McColl is one of worse managers out ...... I do hope Raith make it, great wee club and good fan base. Ayr are just Rangers rejects

Who the f**k are you?

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

There's 14 points between 3rd and 2nd, 9 between 5th and 4th. The fact that there was still plenty to play for in the top 5 teams with 2 or 3 games to go is fantastic value. Even with 6 or 7 games to go, the league was wide open from 3rd down to 8th.

All you have to do is look how it worked out for Brechin last season. Snuck into 4th and made it to the Championship. If we did it your way (boring old fashioned, out of touch) then for the last 4 or 5 weeks every game would have been a glorified friendly considering the top 2 would have been decided and the mid table teams would have nothing to play for. Why not just have Raith and Ayr in their own league and forget about the other meaningless diddy teams in the league?

When your tears dry and and the red mist clears, you'll see what I mean emoji6.pngemoji6.png

Indeed, and the Brechin situation in this years Championship confirms why it is a shambles.

There's always going to be so called "meaningless games" it's like that in every league in the world every season whether you have play offs or not. 

Indeed, and the Brechin situation in this years Championship confirms why it is a shambles.
There's always going to be so called "meaningless games" it's like that in every league in the world every season whether you have play offs or not. 

How has Brechins performance this season got anything to do with the playoffs? What about Hamilton in the Premiership?

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Ayr went up in 2nd in 2016 and suffered the same fate Brechin have this year. 2 up 2 down is evidently just as much of a shambles then.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ayr went up in 2nd in 2016 and suffered the same fate Brechin have this year. 2 up 2 down is evidently just as much of a shambles then.

I think you'll find we were slightly more competitive......................

DougJamie's a right belter and doesn't even know how to spell our Managers name, although I'd like to know his criteria for what makes a "championship club" ??

Just now, WATTOO said:

I think you'll find we were slightly more competitive......................

Brechin decided to safe-guard their future by clearing all debts with the extra money they were getting instead of spending it on players and ending up relegated anyway (like Ayr). I have no qualms with either approach btw, both Brechin and Ayr decided the best way to attack the league (in Brechin's case not to attack at all) which was best for their club and expectations, both ended up back in League 1. It's not an argument against the play-offs and you're only upset about it because your team have blown the automatic spot.

I actually think the playoffs are great to keep the season going, who wants to watch meaningless football games for weeks on end, could bring in rule that 3rd has to be within 15 points of 2nd and 9th has to be within 15 points of 8th or whatever threshold was deemed suitable.

My disinterest in the playoffs this year has nothing to do with them (had some fantastic days watching Ayr in them) in of themselves.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

The play offs are essential to avoiding a lot of dead rubbers near the end of the season. And I say that as a fan of a team who have performed woefully in them. They are one of the few things Scottish football have got right over the last couple of decades. 

The only change I’d make is making the final a one off at a neutral venue. The two legged final is a crap format

Agreed, I can't say I'm a fan of 2nd bottom getting another crack but Brechin haven't exactly made it easy to argue for 5th to get a pop either.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

DougJamie's a right belter and doesn't even know how to spell our Managers name, although I'd like to know his criteria for what makes a "championship club" ??

I don't think spelling his name  will ever be on a Question of Sport:whistle

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don't mind the fact it's two legged. It prevents a "freak result". If you can't beat a side over two legs you don't deserve to progress.

I like freak results, that's what makes sport exciting, draws, seeding and all that other shite they get up to has wasted tournaments like the Champions League for myself.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Brechin decided to safe-guard their future by clearing all debts with the extra money they were getting instead of spending it on players and ending up relegated anyway (like Ayr). I have no qualms with either approach btw, both Brechin and Ayr decided the best way to attack the league (in Brechin's case not to attack at all) which was best for their club and expectations, both ended up back in League 1. It's not an argument against the play-offs and you're only upset about it because your team have blown the automatic spot.

Rubbish. I've always been against the play offs. I'm a great advocate of "if it's not broken, don't fix it", however we've reached a point where we're tinkering with things just for the very sake of it. The bottom line is that you have 36 games to finish as high as you can, each team has the same chance with 2 away and 2 home games against each other and when all's said and done  the final standings confirm the consistency over an entire season by each team. Simple yet effective. 

Why should the 4th place team have a chance of finishing above the 2nd or 3rd placed team ? By the same token, who's to say the bottom placed team couldn't win a 2 legged tie against the 2nd placed team either ? It's mental if you think about it.

Whether you believe me or not is immaterial, Ayr are where they are and the rules are in place, however it doesn't mean that me or anyone else can't speak out about why we think the play offs are crazy and why they should be done away with in all leagues for future seasons.

Make no mistake, they only ever appeared as a result of the big clubs wanting to safeguard their positions as the 2 up and 2 down had them all terrified of relegation, hence the reason the SPL has the deck stacked totally against the Championship clubs.

I don't mind the fact it's two legged. It prevents a "freak result". If you can't beat a side over two legs you don't deserve to progress.

This is true.

One aspect which might be an issue this year, however is if Dumbarton make the final as the second leg would be at their place. If it was Ayr, half the normal home support wouldn’t even get to see it. Raith similar.

An issue I have with the playoffs is that the championship side gets the advantage (i.e home advantage in second leg and plays fourth place) Whereas previously second bottom in the championship was automatically down so don’t really understand why they get an advantage in the playoffs. Should be the second placed team IMO.

Since the playoffs have came in we have managed to finish second four times now which is pretty ridiculous.

Archived