Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't think finishing second is almost guaranteed just as I never thought we were almost guaranteed the league before the last 2 debacles. 

I want us to be playing at the highest level as much as the next fan but I also want us to be competitive when we're there.

So you do care about the playoffs?

The first step to being competitive there next season is... actually getting there. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raith by their own admission have struggled badly at times this season, so it's not outwith the realms of possibility that we beat Albion and Raith drop points to Alloa.

That said, we have screwed up big style, however whilst our 1st half yesterday was totally shocking I thought we played some fantastic football in the second half with McGuffie looking absolutely top class when he came on.

Let's put this in perspective, it is of course all ifs and buts, however the 2 defining moments of our season so far have involved screw ups by possibly our 2 most important players. Had Shankland stayed on the pitch against Stranraer then we certainly would not have been beaten and if Moore had slotted the penalty yesterday then I'm sure we'd have got a minimum of the 1 point required.

Anyway, if it's the play offs then so be it, we surely have enough to beat Arbroath over 2 legs and Alloa / Dumbarton should it come to it, if not, then we really don't deserve to go up.

As for us, forget all the infighting and blame game and let's all get behind supporting our team................

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

So you do care about the playoffs?

The first step to being competitive there next season is... actually getting there. 

No.

29 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Agreed, we’ve truly chucked it.

Even still, I support Ayr regardless of how inept the manager/team/board are and want us to be playing at the highest level. If we don’t win the league, which is almost guaranteed now, I’ll be at the playoff games supporting as usual. If anyone can genuinely “not care” about the playoffs once we are actually in them, I can’t understand that.

Most of it is heat of the moment. After yesterday it's hard to say you care about the playoffs or looking forward to them, it's like we're still in the mourning period after yesterdays abject failure. Hopefully that  changes for Albion but there is a chance it could carry on.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So you don’t care about us playing at the highest level next season then. Glad we got there eventually. 

Fair enough, I find that a strange opinion for a fan to have though.

I'll be there regardless of what division we're in, we'd need a total clear out to be very competitive if we found ourselves in the Championship next season, I don't see that happening whether we win through the play offs or win the league this season.

Ian said we’ve only been full-time for a year and we might not see the difference yet , maybe soon though , maybe next season eh ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ridiculous comment from a full-time manager . Full-time all season and he’s basically saying its not coming to fruition , yet . Deary me!!!!

Ian said we’ve only been full-time for a year and we might not see the difference yet , maybe soon though , maybe next season eh ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ridiculous comment from a full-time manager . Full-time all season and he’s basically saying its not coming to fruition , yet . Deary me!!!!

That was a really strange segment of interview. What did he mean? He’s in charge, what’s not been happening at a full time club that should’ve been?

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That was a really strange segment of interview. What did he mean? He’s in charge, what’s not been happening at a full time club that should’ve been?

league is not over yet. Alloa won't be easy to turn over ,still think Ayr will be promoted one way or other.

I havent been confident of promotion all season until now.I know Alloa are a good team at this level and did brilliantly yesterday but their more important game coming up wil be three days after saturdays match with the rovers.Why would they bust a gut risk injuries before one  of their most important games of the season.

5 minutes ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

I havent been confident of promotion all season until now.I know Alloa are a good team at this level and did brilliantly yesterday but their more important game coming up wil be three days after saturdays match with the rovers.Why would they bust a gut risk injuries before one  of their most important games of the season.

MOMENTUM.

After losing very late goals to drop points at Albion (away) and Arbroath (home) and then getting bent over and bummed (no lube) at sommerset I think we all thought it was over as far as winning the league was concerned.

It's my wee lads first year supporting Raith and for him to see us win it would be great, so I really do care about not just getting promoted, I'd like him to see us win the league.

Saturday is no formality. U winning and us dropping points is a really possibility.

Looking forward to saturday, and shitting myself in equal measures.

On the subject of "play offs" a quick look at our league table and also the Championship league table quickly tells us that the "play offs" are a ludicrous idea in a 10 team league setup.

Irrespective of how it turns out on Saturday with ourselves and Raith, basically the 2nd placed team will be 14 points clear of their nearest rival, likewise in the league above, Dumbarton will be 14 points adrift of 3rd bottom safety, which any sensible person will tell you should mean a 2 up 2 down situation is the perfect solution as far as level competition is concerned.

It may provide some sort of "entertainment" but in reality playing a whole season for 2nd place is in fact a pointless exercise when sneaking into 4th place gets you the same reward.

Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation as even if we end up winning the league on Saturday it will be Raith who are in this situation when quite clearly they've been streets ahead of the other teams all season.

Time for change.

On the subject of "play offs" a quick look at our league table and also the Championship league table quickly tells us that the "play offs" are a ludicrous idea in a 10 team league setup.
Irrespective of how it turns out on Saturday with ourselves and Raith, basically the 2nd placed team will be 14 points clear of their nearest rival, likewise in the league above, Dumbarton will be 14 points adrift of 3rd bottom safety, which any sensible person will tell you should mean a 2 up 2 down situation is the perfect solution as far as level competition is concerned.
It may provide some sort of "entertainment" but in reality playing a whole season for 2nd place is in fact a pointless exercise when sneaking into 4th place gets you the same reward.
Please note, I'm not writing this as a result of Ayr's pathetic capitulation as even if we end up winning the league on Saturday it will be Raith who are in this situation when quite clearly they've been streets ahead of the other teams all season.
Time for change.

Great post

Time for change.

[emoji23][emoji23] lot of pish! "Time for change"? The playoffs are the best thing that have happened to the leagues in recent years. Alloa and Arbroath have a chance to get themselves up and up until last weekend there was still plenty to play for from 5th in the league in our league and Dumbarton were still mathematically able to get to safety.

We were relegated through the playoffs and our record when trying to get up hasn't been good in them either but I wouldn't change anything.

Sour grapes from another Scottish football dinosaur.

Hope Alloa park the bus for a nice, boring 0-0 draw so then Raith can still say they'd be unbeatan at home this season.

Then for us to pump Albion Rovers 4-1 and let the seething begin.

Oh how nice it is to dream (it won't happen)

Archived