Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Think the rest of them must have been saving their dosh for the Rangers game yesterday.

I actually managed to get to both of them.

More disappointed with the 4-0 spanking than I was with the Stranraer game tbh.

Doesn’t matter tho as WATP and Murty will lead us to 55 next year.

#staunch

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, somerset_lad said:

I actually managed to get to both of them.

More disappointed with the 4-0 spanking than I was with the Stranraer game tbh.

Doesn’t matter tho as WATP and Murty will lead us to 55 next year.

#staunch

Yup 

Crawford is definitely in the top 5 players for Ayr this season.  To suggest otherwise is insanity.

That being said, he hasn't hit the same performance levels since returning from injury.

I also don't think he is ready for the Premier League. Another year at Ayr please!

Crawford had one of the best debut seasons I can remember from a young Ayr player. Seem to remember Notts Forest and another team had him down for trials. Since then his progress has been rather meh considering the potential he has. Easily in our top 5 players but not sure how far he can go in the game as still playing at this shitey level many years after his debut season

Crawford had one of the best debut seasons I can remember from a young Ayr player. Seem to remember Notts Forest and another team had him down for trials. Since then his progress has been rather meh considering the potential he has. Easily in our top 5 players but not sure how far he can go in the game as still playing at this shitey level many years after his debut season

I’m sure Birmingham took him and Mark Shankland for a trial. Was out the picture for a wee while under Roberts but was revitalised when McCall came in.

I thought he was one of the few players last season who did pretty well and coped with that level. He’s definitely Championship level at the minute but he’s got the potential to be playing in the Premiership.

Just needs to stop picking up injuries and kick on from there.

He was brilliant in the middle of the park but dreadful on the right wing where Roberts and then McCall played him to make way for other players. Since going full time he has got a lot better playing out wide and I think that has been the main difference. 

Ach, we managed a 2-1 win at Alloa in November, and that was with Ferguson playing the full game, Geggan and Crawford both off injured after 15 mins, and no Boyle, Adams, Bell or Kerr.   Even if Geggs and Shanks miss out we should be going up here and getting a point at least if we think we deserve to be champions.

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Ach, we managed a 2-1 win at Alloa in November, and that was with Ferguson playing the full game, Geggan and Crawford both off injured after 15 mins, and no Boyle, Adams, Bell or Kerr.   Even if Geggs and Shanks miss out we should be going up here and getting a point at least if we think we deserve to be champions.

When you say “a point at least”, I had an auwful premonition after Saturday and it was exactly that happening with Raith winning on the Saturday. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed it doesn’t but some were getting far too carried away forgetting that it’s not over....until it’s over. 

Really quite difficult to concentrate on "normal" life this week already. Fully expecting to run a circular saw through a fingertip whilst mentally working out the permutations of Shankland's appeal process. 

Considering going for full masochism by either going to Stranraer on Saturday or moving to Alloa until Sunday.

Apologies to my friends and family in advance. 

47 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

We should be going up for the 3 points .and nothing less

Disagree. With our injuries and suspensions I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now. This would ensure that regardless of Reith's result we would be going into the last game still top knowing a win vs. Albion Rovers who appear to be on horrific form would see us champions.

14 minutes ago, sci-fi said:

Really quite difficult to concentrate on "normal" life this week already. Fully expecting to run a circular saw through a fingertip whilst mentally working out the permutations of Shankland's appeal process. 

Considering going for full masochism by either going to Stranraer on Saturday or moving to Alloa until Sunday.

Apologies to my friends and family in advance. 

I feel you. I'm  constantly running scenario's through my head which would see us crowned champions at Alloa. I've also started counting down the number of sleeps to Sunday which is something I've not done since I was about 8.  

1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

We should be going up for the 3 points .and nothing less

Well aye obviously and i'm sure we will be going up there to win.  Considering we have hardly any defenders available we aren't exactly gonna play defensively haha. Was more meaning that even if Raith win on Saturday, a draw keeps us top going into the last game.  If we go through there and get beat, knowing where either 1 or 3 points put us, then we can't really claim to have deserved to win league.  

For what its worth I think there will be a big reaction to Saturday and we will get a result.  It's not making this week any less horrendous with regards to concentrating on work / life in general though. 

Kenny Miller on an Emergency Loan or in fact just sign him for 2 games since he hasn't got a club ??

Only if Shanklands appeal fails of course.....................

Worth noting that Ayr were still absolutely destroying teams without Shankland. He's been an inspired signing, but he's not changed your team to be unrecognisable. Also, even half a defence doesn't really matter at this level. We had the best defence in the league playing a load of players out of division, only to crumble once we got our first choice defence back. We had Scott Robertson playing at centre back for a ridiculous number of games and teams still struggled.

30 minutes ago, Oor Willis said:

Worth noting that Ayr were still absolutely destroying teams without Shankland. He's been an inspired signing, but he's not changed your team to be unrecognisable. Also, even half a defence doesn't really matter at this level. We had the best defence in the league playing a load of players out of division, only to crumble once we got our first choice defence back. We had Scott Robertson playing at centre back for a ridiculous number of games and teams still struggled.

The problem is that it's not only Shankland though as we're also missing half of our midfield, our full backs and also a centre half. Strange as it may sound, we've also not been playing particularly well recently and have more or less been relying on blowing teams away with our striking quality which is down in the most part to Shankland.

Honestly, it's pretty much nip and tuck now between us both as we're far from guaranteed a result at Alloa on Sunday and of course you have your own test down at Stranraer.

Oh well, if nothing else at least it's exciting...................

Archived