Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, super_carson said:

For cash flow, probably, but given the continual increase in value of bitcoins they may choose to keep a small amount as investment.

Its on the decrease.It plummeted before christmas,recovered in January,plummeted in February

It was worth £4,778 on Tuesday morning, down considerably on the recent high of £8,414  March

Its value has fallen by 4.5 per cent since this time yesterday and is down by almost 10 per cent week-on-week. Since last month, bitcoin's value has fallen by 22 per cent. 

Novel way of sponsorship nonetheless

4 hours ago, super_carson said:

Certainly it's unusual but BitCoin itself isn't shady at all, just not very common.

On the contrary, bitcoin is hilariously, staggering shady.

Calvin Ayre has already thrown over a hundred million dollars (one, hundred. million. dollars) at this, including a sizeable amount at a verified basket case called Craig Wright who tried to pretend he was the inventor, chickened out of a live BBC demo to prove this at the last minute and then went into hiding. Wright is now one of Ayre's best buddies.

If Ayr actually had anything riding on this other than about 10k of sponsorship and another entry on page 3 then it would be proper banter years material. As-is, it only goes to show that there are in fact stupider things to spend money on than football.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

On the contrary, bitcoin is hilariously, staggering shady.

Calvin Ayre has already thrown over a hundred million dollars (one, hundred. million. dollars) at this, including a sizeable amount at a verified basket case called Craig Wright who tried to pretend he was the inventor, chickened out of a live BBC demo to prove this at the last minute and then went into hiding. Wright is now one of Ayre's best buddies.

If Ayr actually had anything riding on this other than about 10k of sponsorship and another entry on page 3 then it would be proper banter years material. As-is, it only goes to show that there are in fact stupider things to spend money on than football.

I remember him, the Australian guy that claimed he was Satoshi. This is verging on pyramid scheme selling.

Not even verging on. Literal Ponzi schemes are one of the most reliable ways to make money out of cryptocurrency.

Fixed-odds terminals with hundred quid limits are less of a gamble than bitcoin. If Ayre didn't already have a record with the club (i.e. if this were some random new sponsor) then every alarm bell in the world would be going off. As-is, at least people can be assured it's simply the local (ahem) eccentric billionairre being even more eccentric than usual.

Am I right in saying that there is a finite number of Bitcoin in existence?

I would imagine that to promote the fact that he is involved that he will have paid us more than usual, especially with the volatility of the 'value' of the Bitcoin.

Anyway, bring on the painted Bitcoin baps!

17 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Am I right in saying that there is a finite number of Bitcoin in existence?

I would imagine that to promote the fact that he is involved that he will have paid us more than usual, especially with the volatility of the 'value' of the Bitcoin.

Anyway, bring on the painted Bitcoin baps!

Yes, and it can only be "mined" using colossal amounts of computing power which has caused power shortages in some parts of the world! Not to mention theft of powerful computers. Crazy stuff. Remember the good old days when we were sponsored by a local paper :)

Off topic from the sponsorship rumblings and mumblings.....

Posted a reply on the “best/worst strips” topic and thought about what I actually had lurking away in the loft. Found a wee treasure trove and thought I’d maybe put them up for charity auction......not yet tho, as want to see if there would be genuine interest because I wouldn’t let them go unless it was reasonable. 

Old badge squad signed team ball with Stevo, Vareille etc....must be 05/06.

Centenary badge full squad signed ball and it’s got Tam McManus signature on it lol.

Badged Mitre signed ball with a few signatures from 12/13.

Centenary match worn squad shirt signed after the Brechin play off game. (Home top, signed on front and number on back)

Signed shirt from 15/16 without Stevo’s signature.

Signed and framed Testimonial shirt from what is the last testimonial with the old badge. 

Signed Ayr v Man Utd XI programme with Pogba’s signature and a few others.

Only posting to see if there would be any interest.

Have to say i'm extremely wary of this sponsorship deal and it doesn't seem to be getting a good welcome by many people.

How is it going to actually benefit the club and is it not a bit of a gamble for a club our size to be using 'online' cash or whatever it is. All it needs is some computer buff to hack into it and money could be wiped out instantly unless i'm mistaken.

Would much prefer a local company on the strips which will beneift the club and local area.

Hope for a better explanation at POTY on Saturday night.

30 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Have to say i'm extremely wary of this sponsorship deal and it doesn't seem to be getting a good welcome by many people.

How is it going to actually benefit the club and is it not a bit of a gamble for a club our size to be using 'online' cash or whatever it is. All it needs is some computer buff to hack into it and money could be wiped out instantly unless i'm mistaken.

Would much prefer a local company on the strips which will beneift the club and local area.

Hope for a better explanation at POTY on Saturday night.

Better to let a billionaire chuck some spare change in our sponsors pot than try get the same amount from a small business IMO.  

The bitcoin will have either been converted to currency or sold.   No chance are we going to play the long game on that :lol:

It's not Bitcoin, it's Bitcoin cash. There is a big difference, Bitcoin will go down the pan, Bitcoin cash will be the next big thing. Calvin knows the score.

BCH is the symbol for Bitcoin cash not Bitcoin.

Anyways, people with sense buy Scotcoin  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Hazbart said:

I couldn’t give a f*ck what the sponsor is as long as they pay plenty of cash.

Something that no local business will do.

How about plenty of Bitcoin cash?

Presumably the club took the transaction fees for converting to sterling into account here.

Archived