Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Away from the topic of who’s staying/leaving, how important has McGuffies form been lately? Every time he’s came on from the bench he’s impressed. Played a part in some vital goals in the run in and again yesterday with a great ball through to Moore where Shankland picks this ball up for his goal. I’d maybe consider him on the right for Stranraer.

Hadn’t noticed until watching the highlights there but it was a great wee ball from McGuffie at the ball.
It’s difficult as he has proved to be an excellent impact sub.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Hadn’t noticed until watching the highlights there but it was a great wee ball from McGuffie at the ball.
It’s difficult as he has proved to be an excellent impact sub.

Yeah, me too.

He's stays an impact sub for me. McDaid and Forrest just ahead in the pecking order. Oooh to have options! :thumsup2

This is the largest squad of decent quality players we've had for years, if everyone was fit we would actually have to leave a few out of the squad completely and the options available on the bench would be plentiful. Is it good enough for the Championship ? Who knows ? but it's without doubt far better than our previous visits and added to the fact that we're full time then I think this squad could really do a job, certainly so far as survival is concerned.

Given the nature of football nowadays, it could also be a big plus to keep a familiar and winning squad together as opposed to chopping half the team and hoping the "new guys" are all going to be an improvement and also settle in immediately.

I should add that all of the above contains the caveat that we don't screw things up over the next couple of weeks.................

This is the largest squad of decent quality players we've had for years, if everyone was fit we would actually have to leave a few out of the squad completely and the options available on the bench would be plentiful. Is it good enough for the Championship ? Who knows ? but it's without doubt far better than our previous visits and added to the fact that we're full time then I think this squad could really do a job, certainly so far as survival is concerned.
Given the nature of football nowadays, it could also be a big plus to keep a familiar and winning squad together as opposed to chopping half the team and hoping the "new guys" are all going to be an improvement and also settle in immediately.
I should add that all of the above contains the caveat that we don't screw things up over the next couple of weeks.................

This is pretty much my view.

A clear out would be awful. A few will obviously leave for various reasons, but I'd want to keep the squad together as much as possible.

Bringing in a few quality players is obviously vital (keeper & striker if shanks goes - being the obvious two areas)

This is pretty much my view.

A clear out would be awful. A few will obviously leave for various reasons, but I'd want to keep the squad together as much as possible.

Bringing in a few quality players is obviously vital (keeper & striker if shanks goes - being the obvious two areas)

Our defence would be continually breached in the league above, it’s just not good enough!

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Our defence would be continually breached in the league above, it’s just not good enough!

That doesn't mean there aren't players in there that are more than capable with the right players around them.

Most were slaughtering big McKenna a year ago, what do you know, he's miles above our level now.

I’m going to give my tuppence worth for next season (if we are in the Championship....)

I don’t believe there will be too many outgoings, but we really do need to add strength in depth because 2 or 3 injuries this year and we were down to our bare bones. For me I’d do the following:

Keep/under contract - Hart, Geggan, Rose, Higgins, Bell, McDaid, Crawford, Forrest, McGuffie, Moore, Shankland, Moffat

Possibly stay/not sure on -

Docherty, injuries over the last few years are my worry, has the ability, no doubt, but there’s always question marks.

Kerr, is will he be able to keep upto speed? Possible coaching role and playing, but may not be a regular.

Adams, we know what he can do, but struggled the last time here.

Ferguson, could be useful backup and still very young. 

Reid, not sure if he’s up to being a first teamer in the Championship. Sometimes struggled this season, but other times been solid, another tricky one.

Youngsters that will probably stay - Hare Reid, Thorburn Faulds, Balfour, McCowan, Murphy 

Release - Avci, Ballantyne, Waite, Boyle, Hilton.

I know they all probably won’t stay and some may not go, just a quick summary. We definitely need to add a goalkeeper along with Hart and 20s keeper Hare-Reid. We need a new left back and possible cover for left back and a new CB. Probably 2/3 midfielders and if we can keep all 3 strikers, maybe a loan striker.

Feel free to rip my opinion :rolleyes:

Oh, if Raith were to stay down, how about Furtado?

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Trust McCall to add a few Harkins and we'll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Anyone any ideas how many matches Jamie Adams has been unavailable through injury this year? (Not counting Astro pitches) He has had a fantastic season, not ruined by injury.

He’s not missed many, he had a wee spell at the start of the season, however it was a freak broken jaw from a horrendous elbow. 22 out of 33 league appearances. Missed a few Astro games and obviously his afore mentioned lay off.

He’s not missed many, he had a wee spell at the start of the season, however it was a freak broken jaw from a horrendous elbow. 22 out of 33 league appearances. Missed a few Astro games and obviously his afore mentioned lay off.

Completely forgot about that! That one obviously a freak incident and nothing to do with any of his previous injuries.

42 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I’m going to give my tuppence worth for next season (if we are in the Championship....)

I don’t believe there will be too many outgoings, but we really do need to add strength in depth because 2 or 3 injuries this year and we were down to our bare bones. For me I’d do the following:

Keep/under contract - Hart, Geggan, Rose, Higgins, Bell, McDaid, Crawford, Forrest, McGuffie, Moore, Shankland, Moffat

Possibly stay/not sure on -

Docherty, injuries over the last few years are my worry, has the ability, no doubt, but there’s always question marks.

Kerr, is will he be able to keep upto speed? Possible coaching role and playing, but may not be a regular.

Adams, we know what he can do, but struggled the last time here.

Ferguson, could be useful backup and still very young. 

Reid, not sure if he’s up to being a first teamer in the Championship. Sometimes struggled this season, but other times been solid, another tricky one.

Youngsters that will probably stay - Hare Reid, Thorburn Faulds, Balfour, McCowan, Murphy 

Release - Avci, Ballantyne, Waite, Boyle, Hilton.

I know they all probably won’t stay and some may not go, just a quick summary. We definitely need to add a goalkeeper along with Hart and 20s keeper Hare-Reid. We need a new left back and possible cover for left back and a new CB. Probably 2/3 midfielders and if we can keep all 3 strikers, maybe a loan striker.

Feel free to rip my opinion :rolleyes:

Oh, if Raith were to stay down, how about Furtado?

I'll give you a quick rip. Surprised you'd let Avci go considering you rated him more than a capable back-up, and not sure why you'd release Hilton considering he's been  banging in a few goals for the under 23's. Surely worth hanging onto for that, and working with Shanks (hopefully) will bring him on no end.

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

I'll give you a quick rip. Surprised you'd let Avci go considering you rated him more than a capable back-up, and not sure why you'd release Hilton considering he's been  banging in a few goals for the under 23's. Surely worth hanging onto for that, and working with Shanks (hopefully) will bring him on no end.

Think Avci will be released due to the fact they signed Hare-Reid during the season and have him playing with the 20s. I also think he may not sign a new contract and possibly sign for Stranraer as a no.2 to Max Currie, he’s from there and has close links with the club. 

Hilton is at an age now where he’ll be an over age player for the 20s, along with Ballantyne and Waite. They’d have to sign full time contracts and don’t see them getting a decent wage, better off part time. Well Ballantyne is an accountant and defo won’t leave his job for a poor full time wage.

Number one on my shopping list would be a replacement for Moffat in terms of playing every game. We are not the same team without Moffat and struggle to break teams down without him linking middle to front . In his 30’s, we just can’t have him playing in that type of role every single week and we could keep him and bring in as we need. If we could get another player of the same mold, who’s played at a higher level then that would be perfect. Much like Harkins did for us last season. 

We obviously need a goalkeeper too. Keep Hart as a backup.

Love Paddy but he’s got zero pace and his limitations were there for all to see at that level last year. Geggan has always been better at CM than RB for me. So I think we need two new full backs, one on each side. I genuinely feel Bell and Rose are worth a shot keeping at CB.

Moore tries but not good enough at the higher level I don’t feel. So if we keep Shanks we need another striker.

One of the most vital things for next season (if we go up) I think will be, if we keep most of them, having a season of FT training under them. The experience of it and the players physically, next season might be the time when we see the full benefits of it.

Just seen that winning the league gets you 119k, which isn't bad and a hell of a lot more than I thought it'd be.

I thought we weren't going to get into this...

I think it's laughable to suggest minimal outgoings. That's exactly what we have done the last three promotions in the recent past and look what's been achieved relegation. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I thought we weren't going to get into this...

I think it's laughable to suggest minimal outgoings. That's exactly what we have done the last three promotions in the recent past and look what's been achieved relegation. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It’s not the same thing though, given this side is actually far superior to any other that has been promoted and fingers crossed will actually win the league.

Clearing out our current side, which is full of fight, passion and togetherness would be foolish. We need to utilise that core and add to it. So yes, minimal outgoings. Personally think a goalkeeper, centre half and left back are priorities. Potentially someone in central midfield.

Of those around the first team who we own, I would suggest around four being released.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Think Avci will be released due to the fact they signed Hare-Reid during the season and have him playing with the 20s. I also think he may not sign a new contract and possibly sign for Stranraer as a no.2 to Max Currie, he’s from there and has close links with the club. 

Hilton is at an age now where he’ll be an over age player for the 20s, along with Ballantyne and Waite. They’d have to sign full time contracts and don’t see them getting a decent wage, better off part time. Well Ballantyne is an accountant and defo won’t leave his job for a poor full time wage.

There won't be a 20s side next season. Reserve leagues are being reintroduced. 

Archived