Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If we are without Geggan, as well as Boyle next week then we are struggling.

Reid Rose Bell Fergusson. Not ideal, but enough there with Adams an option.

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Really can’t see us lifting the trophy next week, Raith will beat QP at home. It’ll be party time at Alloa in front of the teuchter tv.

To be honest, it’s what we do that matters, if we win next week and so do Raith, we need to lose both games with Raith taking maximum points. Win next week and it’s bye.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

I said an Ayr win with Raith dropping points would win Ayr the league. Dry yer knickers.

I suspect it’s yer self wi wet pants , , at least I hope that’s what it is , but with your confirmed low excitement threshold , we might be mistook there. 

4 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

I suspect it’s yer self wi wet pants , , at least I hope that’s what it is , but with your confirmed low excitement threshold , we might be mistook there. 

You go and worry about Stranraer making it through another winter and leave the title talk to the big boys.

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:
22 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:
Really can’t see us lifting the trophy next week, Raith will beat QP at home. It’ll be party time at Alloa in front of the teuchter tv.

Hope it doesn't get ruined by us not playing to the Sunday.

It would be a bit weird if Raith drop points a week on Saturday and we win the league before kicking a ball on the Sunday

Presuming we win the league. We will struggle big time next season with that defence. Only one who could cope in the championship is a fully fit Geggan ( he was pretty woeful today). Hope McCall looks at bringing in 4 or 5 new defenders

Rose is easily Championship standard. We need a partner for him and two full backs. Ferguson can provide cover as can Geggan but they’re not starters for me.

Even if Shankland stays we’ll need a striker and our central midfield will need addressed.

Quicker we wrap up this league the quicker we can look at recruiting for next season.

4 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Rose is easily Championship standard. We need a partner for him and two full backs. Ferguson can provide cover as can Geggan but they’re not starters for me.

Even if Shankland stays we’ll need a striker and our central midfield will need addressed.

Quicker we wrap up this league the quicker we can look at recruiting for next season.

If we kept our 3 strikers and added a John Sutton type id be happy with the attacking department.

Of our current side, Higgins, Geggan, Moffat and Shankland have shown they are good enough for the championship at some point over the last couple of years. Geggan‘ fitness at times has been a worry this season though, and Higgins has obviously had a bad injury.

Our defence has been pretty good recently, I can’t really recall a game where our keeper has made more than one save.

Of our current side, Higgins, Geggan, Moffat and Shankland have shown they are good enough for the championship at some point over the last couple of years. Geggan‘ fitness at times has been a worry this season though, and Higgins has obviously had a bad injury.

Our defence has been pretty good recently, I can’t really recall a game where our keeper has made more than one save.

I think Higgins will play a much smaller part next season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him and Kerr given player/coach roles either.

100% agree re Rose. I'd be offering him a 2 year deal right now

If we go up, can't let myself take it for granted, then it's still full time wages which are probably going up for the current squad. Taking the budget into concern I can't see a squad that much different from what it is now, replacing any players that leave and maybe adding one or two max. And I can see Boyle getting a new contract too.

I think Higgins will play a much smaller part next season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him and Kerr given player/coach roles either.

Higgins is only 32 though, and given he has made 180 appearances for QOTS can only assume he has made well over 100 in the championship.

Kerr has been excellent but no idea if the pace in the championship would be too much for him. Falkirk fans would have a better idea...

Higgins is only 32 though, and given he has made 180 appearances for QOTS can only assume he has made well over 100 in the championship.

Kerr has been excellent but no idea if the pace in the championship would be too much for him. Falkirk fans would have a better idea...

Yeah Higgins is still a good age but it remains to be seen how good he is after that injury. As you get older the harder it is to recover from major injuries like his.

Don’t think Kerr would be a starter but his experience would be valuable and as a coach that can step in in case of emergency he could prove useful.

The real question is do we keep Adams or Docherty?

45 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Yeah Higgins is still a good age but it remains to be seen how good he is after that injury. As you get older the harder it is to recover from major injuries like his.

Don’t think Kerr would be a starter but his experience would be valuable and as a coach that can step in in case of emergency he could prove useful.

The real question is do we keep Adams or Docherty?

I’d seriously consider cutting ties with Doc. He’s a top earner at the club and a constant crock. Yeah he’s a cracking player, but a guy who’s missed 50%-60% this season and a fair chunk last season.

Can we not just wait 'til the season is over for all this stuff, these boys have a chance of winning a league and we're punting them out the door before anything's decided.

41 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Can we not just wait 'til the season is over for all this stuff, these boys have a chance of winning a league and we're punting them out the door before anything's decid.

Correct these guys are busting guts for us they want it and it showed big time today and for a few weeks now

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Can we not just wait 'til the season is over for all this stuff, these boys have a chance of winning a league and we're punting them out the door before anything's decided.

Completely this.  

Absolutely.

I caught myself thinking how much Moore wouldn't cut it in the championship during the game today - and I felt horrible. (First half obviously).

They're all giving everything to the cause right now. The idea that we're putting these guys out of work with such ease makes me feel ashamed.

Come on ayr.

And paddy Boyle deserves to lift that trophy, with doc beside him or not.

I agree wrt not discussing it until the league is won.

However, there is no room for sentiment. In my view, in each of the 3 seasons we have been promoted to the Championship we have retained too much of the League One squad to our detriment. Admittedly, we are full time now which is also a positive factor.

Away from the topic of who’s staying/leaving, how important has McGuffies form been lately? Every time he’s came on from the bench he’s impressed. Played a part in some vital goals in the run in and again yesterday with a great ball through to Moore where Shankland picks this ball up for his goal. I’d maybe consider him on the right for Stranraer.

Archived