Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

The atmosphere was abysmal yesterday. You wouldn’t have thought we were top of the league and winning 4 nil!

Must admit, I nearly wet myself laughing when one notorious Ayr fan started his one man rendition of “what a shitey home support”. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Waniche said:

The atmosphere was abysmal yesterday. You wouldn’t have thought we were top of the league and winning 4 nil!

Must admit, I nearly wet myself laughing when one notorious Ayr fan started his one man rendition of “what a shitey home support”. 

That the w****r that thinks singing a few songs a game makes him a better fan than everyone else?

I’d love for there to be a better atmosphere at Somerset, but not everyone who goes to the football is there to shout from the bottom of their lungs for 90 minutes. Most pay in for the entertainment of what’s on the park and are happy to just keep themselves to themselves, save for mingling with a few pals. Unless they’re standing there abusing the players constantly, I’m not sure what the big problem with that is.

I’d also argue that if the singing group are so desperate for everyone to join in with them, they might need to change their often cringey and sometimes grossly bigoted songbook. Some of the stuff they come out with is awful.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

That the w****r that thinks singing a few songs a game makes him a better fan than everyone else?

I’d love for there to be a better atmosphere at Somerset, but not everyone who goes to the football is there to shout from the bottom of their lungs for 90 minutes. Most pay in for the entertainment of what’s on the park and are happy to just keep themselves to themselves, save for mingling with a few pals. Unless they’re standing there abusing the players constantly, I’m not sure what the big problem with that is.

I’d also argue that if the singing group are so desperate for everyone to join in with them, they might need to change their often cringey and sometimes grossly bigoted songbook. Some of the stuff they come out with is awful.

Nah, he’s definitely not a w****r. Completely harmless but sometimes gets carried away. 

Completely agree with the rest of your post tho. However would prefer fans singing than listening to some of the dross being shouted. 

A lot of it comes back to the fact that our core support is so low (for such a big town).

There are obviously numerous factors for this (old firm links, strong junior leagues, lack of promotion from the club (probably quite harsh)) and it's clearly not a new problem.

The lack of opposition fans clearly makes a difference but it's just a shame that we can't pull in another thousand home fans on a regular basis.

I know more ayr fans that dont go to games than do ...and that is a lot of folk .some making the big games others that just have lost interest .the yo-yoing between this league and the championship being the biggest problem .hope IF we go up we stay up .

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

A lot of it comes back to the fact that our core support is so low (for such a big town).

There are obviously numerous factors for this (old firm links, strong junior leagues, lack of promotion from the club (probably quite harsh)) and it's clearly not a new problem.

The lack of opposition fans clearly makes a difference but it's just a shame that we can't pull in another thousand home fans on a regular basis.

Agreed. Think there’s a general frustration that’s been going on for years. More lows than highs. 

Yesterday while walking out the SRE there were a few fans standing clapping the team off. Someone behind me asked why they were clapping? Wtf we’d just won 4 nil and six points ahead. 

Agreed. Think there’s a general frustration that’s been going on for years. More lows than highs. 
Yesterday while walking out the SRE there were a few fans standing clapping the team off. Someone behind me asked why they were clapping? Wtf we’d just won 4 nil and six points ahead. 

As has been said, I don't think it's a problem confined to us. But you're right, some folk just can't help but be negative. That's an unbelievable complaint.

Even if you think the game was pretty poor, and the second half a non event - you can't deny the team deserve to be applauded.

16 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I know more ayr fans that dont go to games than do ...and that is a lot of folk .some making the big games others that just have lost interest .the yo-yoing between this league and the championship being the biggest problem .hope IF we go up we stay up .

Exactly. There’s quite a few I know as well that have lost interest in home games but go to away games. Always found it bizarre. 

12 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Absolutely agree it's a shame we can't get another 1000 on our gate. The atmosphere would be so much better. I think that 40 years outside the top division (god is it really that long?) is the primary reason our core support has dwindled.

It's almost as if we need a near extinction/administration event to rouse the locals into backing us. Seems to have worked at the likes of Falkirk and Dunfermline, both smaller towns by population which have far bigger home supports than us.

From a personal point of view, I freely admit that I spent much of the second half staring at my phone and refreshing the Sky Sports Score Centre app, and it certainly seemed I wasn't the only one. We are in a 2 horse race for the title, and Raith were only up by a solitary goal whereas we had the game sewn up and were strolling it. Its perfectly natural to then turn our focus to Airdrie in the hope that Raith chuck a couple of points away, which of course then dilutes the atmosphere a bit because people are anxious about what's happening elsewhere.

I've been to plenty of away games this season and not heard a peep from the home fans in any of them. McCall and his team enjoy a level of support, both in numbers and vocal backing, that no others in this league do, with the possible exception of Raith. 

From a personal point of view, I freely admit that I spent much of the second half staring at my phone and refreshing the Sky Sports Score Centre app, and it certainly seemed I wasn't the only one. We are in a 2 horse race for the title, and Raith were only up by a solitary goal whereas we had the game sewn up and were strolling it. Its perfectly natural to then turn our focus to Airdrie in the hope that Raith chuck a couple of points away, which of course then dilutes the atmosphere a bit because people are anxious about what's happening elsewhere.
I've been to plenty of away games this season and not heard a peep from the home fans in any of them. McCall and his team enjoy a level of support, both in numbers and vocal backing, that no others in this league do, with the possible exception of Raith. 

Agree with this but if we win the league and end up with an average home crowd less than Raith then it's a sad state of affairs.

Suspect we might get a bumper crowd if we can win the league at home.

36 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Agree with this but if we win the league and end up with an average home crowd less than Raith then it's a sad state of affairs.

Suspect we might get a bumper crowd if we can win the league at home.

I'd say Raith's slightly higher attendances stem from the fact that they have just had a sustained period in the second tier. In order for us to increase our average attendances, I think we'll need to do the same. Until we can get up and stay there, some of our stay-away fans will believe that nothing has changed.

The frustrating thing is that in the play-off against Stranraer two years ago there was about 4,000 at Somerset, so there's definately the potential crowd there which just needs to be tapped into more.

Going up  and then cementing a competitive mid-table position in the Championship would go a long way to helping that, agree with the yo-yo between the two leagues taking a lot of fans away.

I think I saw in the match programme that Steven Bell was on six bookings. How does this work, is he likely to miss any games? It would be a serious blow losing him for any of the last five games. Losing the Moff for one game for not very much on Saturday was bad enough.

I think I saw in the match programme that Steven Bell was on six bookings. How does this work, is he likely to miss any games? It would be a serious blow losing him for any of the last five games. Losing the Moff for one game for not very much on Saturday was bad enough.

He’s had his ban so he’s only on 1 booking. He’ll need another 5 before he misses a game.

On 26/03/2018 at 11:35, 1nickydevlin said:

Our home support defo could be better .but we do take big numbers too away games .higher than most premiership teams .

As there are 12 teams in the Premiership,do Ayr take a bigger away support than most of them? 

Archived