Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

On 26/02/2018 at 21:08, Mgc1910 said:

The football we played that season is why people remember it so fondly.  Couple that with having Ally in charge who was a bit of a living legend at the time and you have a recipe for some good times at Somerset.  Let's face it, we're probably not going to win the champions league so if you can't enjoy a season like that, what's the point?  If that team embarrasses you, then I would suggest you need to re-evaluate your expectations.  

I suppose we are Ayr United fans so we should take any cause to celebrate that we can get, even if it is only promotion from the third tier.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/2/2018 at 23:34, Parkhouse said:

You've forgot about Big Dougie McCracken (RIP) & Jim McCann.  Did Davie Kennedy make his debut that season?  I thought it was maybe the season after that?  If he played, it was a game or two, no more.

Davie Kennedy made his debut during 86-87. First time I saw him play was a 0-0 draw at Hampden.

Talking of training does anyone know if we've actually done much in the last week.

Cause i know we train up at the west of Scotland rugby club and i'm pretty sure that will have been under about 2ft of snow and unusable since about last Tuesday.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Amazing what a proper manager and training regime can do. 

Nah, it's all between Harkins' ears, if he's interested he's a player and we all know what a disinterested Harkins looks like.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Talking of training does anyone know if we've actually done much in the last week.

Cause i know we train up at the west of Scotland rugby club and i'm pretty sure that will have been under about 2ft of snow and unusable since about last Tuesday.

There's a wee indoor up there from what I saw on Sky in the run up to the **** game.  I'd imagine no training though. 

Spoke to a Killie fan last season about Harkins.  He was baffled as to why we were playing him at left midfield or on a few occasions up front as a sort of no 10.  He reckoned he was at his best for Killie as a deep lying central midfielder - great passer, don't ask him to run was the theory.  It interests me as Morton are playing him that way and he seems to be in good form.  I'm not looking to re-write history as Harkins clearly chucked it around mid December last season, but I have to say I never once saw him play in that position for Ayr.  Makes you wonder if we got it wrong with him.

Spoke to a Killie fan last season about Harkins.  He was baffled as to why we were playing him at left midfield or on a few occasions up front as a sort of no 10.  He reckoned he was at his best for Killie as a deep lying central midfielder - great passer, don't ask him to run was the theory.  It interests me as Morton are playing him that way and he seems to be in good form.  I'm not looking to re-write history as Harkins clearly chucked it around mid December last season, but I have to say I never once saw him play in that position for Ayr.  Makes you wonder if we got it wrong with him.
He was in a coaching role though, was he not? Surely he'd know his game by now?

Harkins has been playing in a deep lying central midfield position for Morton this season and has been very good for them. Made the TOTW a few times. 

In other news, I was trawling through twitter when I came across a Daily Record interview with Paul Paton. He said he was desperate to find a club, was supposed to be moving to a club in Belgium on an 18th month deal but the move fell through.

He obviously worked with McCall at Thistle and I’d be extremely disappointed if McCall hasn’t at least spoken to him. An 18 month deal would maybe suit all parties. He would be a coup at championship level and an even bigger coup in league 1. I know someone mentiond him when he was released by St Johnstone but it seemed at the time that he was going to Dundee but that obviously fell through. 

Harkins has been playing in a deep lying central midfield position for Morton this season and has been very good for them. Made the TOTW a few times. 
In other news, I was trawling through twitter when I came across a Daily Record interview with Paul Paton. He said he was desperate to find a club, was supposed to be moving to a club in Belgium on an 18th month deal but the move fell through.
He obviously worked with McCall at Thistle and I’d be extremely disappointed if McCall hasn’t at least spoken to him. An 18 month deal would maybe suit all parties. He would be a coup at championship level and an even bigger coup in league 1. I know someone mentiond him when he was released by St Johnstone but it seemed at the time that he was going to Dundee but that obviously fell through. 

Is he a player we need right now?

If we find ourselves in the Championship next season then he’d be a great signing imo.

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Is he a player we need right now?

If we find ourselves in the Championship next season then he’d be a great signing imo.

Don’t need him right now no but might get snapped up. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

There's a wee indoor up there from what I saw on Sky in the run up to the **** game.  I'd imagine no training though. 

Pretty sure the indoor footage was from Super Soccer down near Shields Road. 

Deeply exciting info from me there.

52 minutes ago, sci-fi said:

Pretty sure the indoor footage was from Super Soccer down near Shields Road. 

Deeply exciting info from me there.

ITK-fi

Archived