Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Nah, Cardle got a red card for flicking his arm at Murphy after he got pinched, that got rescinded. 

The incident with Adams might have been the Scottish cup game around that time. 

Ahh yeah I remember the Murphy one. Did that a couple of times.

Never went to the Scottish Cup game so I’m not sure. He’s not really a “hard man” so to speak but he brings a lot of physicality to our team and we do miss him when he doesn’t play. Of course the other side to his game is winding other players up to get them sent off which is where the dislike from Stranraer fans towards him comes from.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we do get promoted we’ll need to bring in loads of players. Only a few of our current squad will be good enough at championship level. 

If we go up we should be looking at getting a new back 4 and goalkeeper. Higgins will stay as he’s under contract but with his age and the seriousness of his injury who knows what he’ll be like. Reid and Boyle should leave in the summer. Both ageing and won’t be getting any better. Rose is young so there’s still potential there but he’s not a starter.

Add to that a couple of midfielders and a striker to replace Shankland and it will be a massive recruitment job in the summer regardless of what league we’re in.

Wow!!
Four glaring errors in such a short sentence, quite an "achievement" really.
Your Mummy and Daddy should have a chat with your primary school teacher as soon as possible.

[emoji23][emoji23]

What the actual f**k are you blethering about simple sandy?

10 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

If we go up we should be looking at getting a new back 4 and goalkeeper. Higgins will stay as he’s under contract but with his age and the seriousness of his injury who knows what he’ll be like. Reid and Boyle should leave in the summer. Both ageing and won’t be getting any better. Rose is young so there’s still potential there but he’s not a starter.

Add to that a couple of midfielders and a striker to replace Shankland and it will be a massive recruitment job in the summer regardless of what league we’re in.

Presuming we get promoted the only players I'd accept as starters are Shankland, Moffat, Moore, Geggan, McDaid and Crawford. The likes of Docherty and Higgins may be good enough, the rest I dont think would be.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png

What the actual f**k are you blethering about simple sandy?

Simple Sandy is one of the best things I've seen on here in a while. Well done sir.

The defeat on Sunday can go one of two ways. One strive to do better and push on go on a winning run or two confidence is low and we will drop like a stone!

If we don’t get the first option then I think we will be playing part time football next season and probably battling relegation from league 1 again

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure Geggan, Moffat, Moore or McDaid will be good enough as starters either, but would all certainly be competing for a starting place.

Probably won't get promoted though.

They would all be decent enough squad players even if not necessarily starters. Moore definitely would be a good impact sub to have. We would basically need a whole new defence and goalkeeper if we get promoted.

Docherty, Crawford, Forrest and Shankland are probably the only ones I would start in the Championship.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure Geggan, Moffat, Moore or McDaid will be good enough as starters either, but would all certainly be competing for a starting place.

Probably won't get promoted though.

I'm a big fan of Moore. I honestly feel that had we kept him fit for the whole of the season last year then we'd of stayed up.

Failure to get promoted would be inexcusable and surely would see McCall booted out the door.

I thought Moore's all round game was a lot better when he was playing with Jordan Preston than it is now. He seemed more nimble, more aggressive and he contributed a lot more outside the box. He's still an excellent penalty box striker but he just seems to be missing that spark from two seasons ago. He has a bit of a tendency to drift out of games in which we're not dominating at the moment.

I can see us having a starting mid/attack of next year irrespective of what league we are in

McDaid   (2 from) Kerr / Docherty / Bell  Forrest

Shankland     Moffatt

With Adams, McGuffie and Moore on the bench - and assuming Crawford is off.

Defence is different story, I would assume we will keep Fergusson, Rose and Higgins anyway, Boyle only if we stay in league 1 - all 4 as starters in league 1, and maybe only Rose if we go up. We will need a complete overhaul at the back, which is going to lead to a poor 1st handfull of games until they get settled

17 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

The last part is the important bit. I know a couple of blue noses in Ayr that I've questioned multiple times about why they don't support their local team and they just laugh it off with a response like 'why would I support those losers'? Um, we wouldn't be losers if people like you supported us instead of backing sectarian teams in Glasgow.

I think the same could be said in Kirkcaldy or any other town in Scotland.

It's absolutely the case in Kirkcaldy and every other town in Scotland. You tend to find that the people who follow either of the big Glasgow teams are generally downtrodden individuals who have very little going for them,  have achieved nothing of significance in their lives and are very unlikely to. They think that by following a successful football team that this in some way makes them a success. However, the delicious irony is that I've noticed in my son's age group a greater proportion of the kids are tending to shun the Glasgow teams and are latching onto Man City and Barcelona etc due to their success and global exposure. 

I thought Moore's all round game was a lot better when he was playing with Jordan Preston than it is now. He seemed more nimble, more aggressive and he contributed a lot more outside the box. He's still an excellent penalty box striker but he just seems to be missing that spark from two seasons ago. He has a bit of a tendency to drift out of games in which we're not dominating at the moment.

Still 20+ goals and counting

It's absolutely the case in Kirkcaldy and every other town in Scotland. You tend to find that the people who follow either of the big Glasgow teams are generally downtrodden individuals who have very little going for them,  have achieved nothing of significance in their lives and are very unlikely to. They think that by following a successful football team that this in some way makes them a success. However, the delicious irony is that I've noticed in my son's age group a greater proportion of the kids are tending to shun the Glasgow teams and are latching onto Man City and Barcelona etc due to their success and global exposure. 

Oh if only the little people were as successful and as accomplished filled as you are, things could be so different.

44 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

That is just absolute twaddle.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That is just absolute twaddle.

Yep, I've worked with people who have gone on to hold pretty good careers in good industries who are OF fans, none from Glasgow and all with season tickets - and they all buy into or at least sympathise with the off field side of things.

I can see us having a starting mid/attack of next year irrespective of what league we are in....

You're kidding yourself on if you think Shankland is going to stay with us if we're in this diddy league next year. Even if we go up, I'd expect him to be off.

Archived