Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Think we'll agree that we never saw ourselves taking the lead, then staying level in the game until 65 minutes.

If the game had stopped then we would have been extremely proud of the team.

To get humped like that though is an embarrassment, wish he had called it off at half time now.

Think it's an underlying problem collapsing like that and not just down to fitness.

The reaction for next week at a packed Somerset against East Fife will be key though, cause the players will be down and needing lifted.

Performance-wise there were never in a million years five goals between the two teams and to have taken the lead and been level until the 65th minute was a lot better than most people thought we would do. You would have been foolish to think Ayr United were going to win before the game, but for the first hour I found myself thinking that if the score remained 1-1 for another 15-20 minutes then we still had a chance of a positive result.

The scoreline in the end was embarrassing and incredibly disappointing mostly because alot of their goals were preventable. However, there were some positives in the performance for the first hour.

Forwards overall were very good but ultimately after a good first 60 minutes our defending and keeper let us down big time in the end.

Looking at the bigger picture though, the cup was nothing more than a distraction and was at best a money spinner. Now we can focus on getting back to the Championship whether that be by winning the league or the playoffs.

I will still be at the next home game cheering on the team.

Come on Ayr!

P.S If you want a laugh here is Ayr's goal again:

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Shambles in defence. I realise we were playing a good team but we folded completely and ended up embarrassing ourselves with that scoreline.

On a side note, what a shambles keeping the SRE penned in to let those c**** leave first.

^This, why they thought it was a good idea to close the SRE gate is beyond me. With about 10 seconds notice as well. Then let us out after a couple of minutes right into the Rangers fans. Totally bizzare. I assume it was the Police who made that call?

I feel for the team today they put in a shift with them throwing themselves in front of shots, blocking crosses and generally chasing play all game. I think the players were tired at the start of the second half and when we did get possession we either punted it back or missed a pass and we were under pressure again. It was never a 6-1 game though and was a free hit for us in the grand scheme of things.

We now need to focus on winning all our remaining league games (if we are going to catch Raith). Hopefully we can get a clean sheet on Saturday to give the goalie and defence some much needed confidence for the run in.

I'm not sure about folk saying it was never a 6-1.

They missed some absolute sitters, they hit the woodwork, goalmouth scrambles - the works. At 1-1 it looked like we were going to have all the breaks but then we caved in. They were still missing really clear chances in the last 15 mins.

Our effort was huge today - but we had our arses felt good and proper.

Adams yellow killed us. No midfield enforget. 2/3 goal came from a free run by him because he couldn’t commit to the tackle. At 1-1 the sub should’ve been Fergusson for Adams and Geggan to CM.

This

Adams basically couldn’t tackle anyone which meant he was no use to us on the pitch.

Morelos leaving the pitch to wind up the Ayr fans was a bit strange, not only did he not get booked for it, I'm amazed he didn't get skelped

He had some brass neck to do that after his miss, there will be one bit of footage that will do the rounds long after he leaves Scottish football and it won't be his goals from today

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

This

Adams basically couldn’t tackle anyone which meant he was no use to us on the pitch.

When I said tackle I really meant kick! Even just bringing on Faulds to have another centre mid on would help. At least Bells back next week.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

When I said tackle I really meant kick! Even just bringing on Faulds to have another centre mid on would help. At least Bells back next week.

Would have thought Docherty possibly aswell cause he was in the warm up today and been training a bit last week.

Yeah but anytime Adams tackles it normally ends up with a foul.

Either way he was of very little use to us when he couldn’t smash players.

Imagine it'll be Bell and Adams with Geggan at right back - surely that should make us more solid, hopefully.

Morelos leaving the pitch to wind up the Ayr fans was a bit strange, not only did he not get booked for it, I'm amazed he didn't get skelped
He had some brass neck to do that after his miss, there will be one bit of footage that will do the rounds long after he leaves Scottish football and it won't be his goals from today

You’ll have been one of the ones caught on camera foaming at the mouth after he scored, then?

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You’ll have been one of the ones caught on camera foaming at the mouth after he scored, then?

Not like a Raith fan to be staling Ayr threads like an obsessed weirdo

These things don't bother me generally, but he left the park and lent over the boundary wall cupping his ear, if thats not provocation or enticement I don't know what is . He wasn't even getting stick from Ayr fans......well apart from the home end laughing at his miss

Just now, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Adams is shite. 

Doesn't track his man well and usually won't be able to make a meaningful tackle after being on a needless booking anyway. 

Hope he stays in Ayr's first 11. 

Raith and Dunfermline fans both hate Adams

He's doing things right

Adams is shite. 
Doesn't track his man well and usually won't be able to make a meaningful tackle after being on a needless booking anyway. 
Hope he stays in Ayr's first 11. 

Probably won't when our four other central midfielders are available tbh.

Archived