Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

56 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And that compilation video someone put together of all our blunders this season, which is less than flattering.

That's unfortunately going viral aswell, didn't realise we had made so many f**k ups this season.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can remember hearing a goalkeeper was on £2500 a week. Scandanavian one IIRC, can't remember his name.

Thomas Gill maybe? Lasted a few games. The money we spunked under Dalziel was incredible. 40-100k each on Hurst, Teale, Campbell, Reynolds spring to mind. And they were succesful. Alex Bone was 80k or something and played a handful of games!

I'm 100% McGinlay, Yogi, Annand etc were pushing £1k a week basic as well.

Agree with the post above sticking up for Robert Connor. They were basically plucking guys out the juniors on £50 a week.

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Thomas Gill maybe? Lasted a few games. The money we spunked under Dalziel was incredible. 40-100k each on Hurst, Teale, Campbell, Reynolds spring to mind. And they were succesful. Alex Bone was 80k or something and played a handful of games!

I'm 100% McGinlay, Yogi, Annand etc were pushing £1k a week basic as well.

Agree with the post above sticking up for Robert Connor. They were basically plucking guys out the juniors on £50 a week.

I'll be shocked if McGinlay was only pushing a grand a week.

Even though dalziel failed to get to the premier league we did finish second one season which the season before would have saw us going up but the stadium wasn't fit for purpose .he did however reach two Scottish cup semis ,a league cup final and beat many an spl team in the process including killie 4 times .great times

I'll be shocked if McGinlay was only pushing a grand a week.

At the time I was told him, Yogi, Annand, Grady, Lovering were all on 2k plus. But as I was only 16-18 and generally gassed on the Drouthy Bar bus that season i'm guessing low haha

I remember Thomas Gill played for us at Love Street and was just absolutely superb, he looked like Schmeichael and played like him to, however the following week or maybe the week after we were away to Dunfermline at East End park and he was absolutely horrific. I think we got horsed 4-0 or 4-1 with Owen Coyle putting us to the sword as per usual and a skillful but fat Nigel Jemson also putting in an appearance for us. I'm also pretty sure Thomas Gill played for Norway in the 1994 World Cup in the USA.

As for big wages, I'm pretty sure Hurst and Forrest Gump (Mickey Reynolds) were also on big money although Hursty did deserve whatever he got as I still believe that our combination of Hurst, Teale & Walker provided the most exciting quality football that's been witnessed in my years watching Ayr.

For real depression have a click on the link below and look at our pool of players and also those we released that season (bottom right of page)

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.club.ayr-united.1999-2000.2709..en.html

At the time I was told him, Yogi, Annand, Grady, Lovering were all on 2k plus. But as I was only 16-18 and generally gassed on the Drouthy Bar bus that season i'm guessing low haha
I heard McGinlay and Grady were on 1.5k a week basic and Annand the biggest earner on 2k a week basic!

Wonder what the cup bonuses were?

I seem to recall hearing that because of the cup runs we managed to just break even that season!

I heard McGinlay and Grady were on 1.5k a week basic and Annand the biggest earner on 2k a week basic!

Wonder what the cup bonuses were?

I seem to recall hearing that because of the cup runs we managed to just break even that season!

That penalty though. He earned his week's wages with that one - that's for sure.

That's us five points behind Raith now having played the same amount of games.
Title hope is a gone in my opinion, truely fucked it.

Nowhere near gone.

We’ve still got to play them and as bad as our home form is their away form is worse. Plenty to play for between now and the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Nowhere near gone.

We’ve still got to play them and as bad as our home form is their away form is worse. Plenty to play for between now and the end of the season.

See where you're coming from and i hope you're right but just after the recent shitshows at home i've lost all hope. 

A result on Sunday might be the start of a much needed resurgence in home form though.

See where you're coming from and i hope you're right but just after the recent shitshows at home i've lost all hope. 
A result on Sunday might be the start of a much needed resurgence in home form though.

I was convinced the league was gone as well (I feel the same after every defeat tbh) but a few days later I’m still confident we’re in with a shout of getting ahead of Raith again.

Raith are very poor away from home and still have to go to Stranraer and Airdrie. Both are tricky away days and Raith haven’t won either of those previous fixtures. Add Forfar away to that who at this stage are fighting for their lives and anything could happen.

The next few games will be tricky for us with them being at home but neither East Fife or Airdrie have good away records so there is hope. We could really do with a couple of clean sheets just to give our defenders a bit of confidence.

Not too bothered with Rangers anymore. Obviously I’ll be chuffed if we win but so long as we avoid a heavy defeat as that could kill off any confidence our players have left at this stage.

Archived