Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

10 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

The problem for Ruddy is that he was brought in to fix a major problem when in truth he's just another untried, unproven goalkeeper looking for a bit of 1st team experience.  People are expecting too much.  If we had Greg Fleming in goal and someone like Martyn Campbell, Alan Lithgow or even Andy Graham in the defence, we'd be about 10 points clear at the moment. 

Very good post.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

One bad game and people are already hounding out Ruddy. The Ayr United way. 

McCall is the problem here and until we get rid of him, we will be nothing more than a yo-yo club. We may well win the playoffs this year due to the absoulote shite in this division but we’ll be straight back down if he remains in charge. 

I think there needs to be some realism from the fans we have never been a club capable of sustaining 2nd tier football and avoiding relegation since the Barr money dried up. The clubs needs an infrastructure from bottom up and Hamilton would be benchmark for that. The same was said about Reid and while he had 5 years or so and couldn't take the club any further we ended up with Roberts after it and nearly in the 4th tier. The key is that we have a medium to long term plan to remain full time and being championship and full time will give better opportunity next time to attract better clash of player and good young players we have maybe get a reasonable fee and sell on clauses.

McCall deserves criticism for the defense but looking on balance if told we would be in current position at the start of July I would be reasonably happy. Recruitment wise I think we have best squad since he came in but do we have a strong enough coaching team around McCall. Maybe a former defender as part of coaching team worth a go rather than tearing whole thing up and starting from scratch.

40 minutes ago, grazza said:

I think there needs to be some realism from the fans we have never been a club capable of sustaining 2nd tier football and avoiding relegation since the Barr money dried up. The clubs needs an infrastructure from bottom up and Hamilton would be benchmark for that. The same was said about Reid and while he had 5 years or so and couldn't take the club any further we ended up with Roberts after it and nearly in the 4th tier. The key is that we have a medium to long term plan to remain full time and being championship and full time will give better opportunity next time to attract better clash of player and good young players we have maybe get a reasonable fee and sell on clauses.

McCall deserves criticism for the defense but looking on balance if told we would be in current position at the start of July I would be reasonably happy. Recruitment wise I think we have best squad since he came in but do we have a strong enough coaching team around McCall. Maybe a former defender as part of coaching team worth a go rather than tearing whole thing up and starting from scratch.

If Dumbarton can sustain 2nd tier football then surely so can we. Similar sized clubs to us such as Qots, Morton and Raith have been able to sustain 2nd tier football so I don’t see why we can’t.

McCall is 100% not the man to lead us. His first season he done exactly what was expected and kept us up although he made it harder than it needed to be. 2nd season he got us promoted. We had the 2nd biggest budget in the league and finished exactly where we should of. We however shat the bed after Christmas and we’re really lucky to get up in the end. Third season was a complete cluster f**k from start to finish. Brought some amount of shite through the door and he really should of been sacked at the end of the season. 

This season we’ve built such a lopsided team. Inexperienced keeper(s), shocking defence, midfield with no creativity. The only saving grace is we’ve got a decent strike force who’ll bang goals in at this level. A pisspoor Raith team are going to win the league. 

ETA: If Reid was given the financial backing that McCall has he’d of kept us up. 

20 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If Dumbarton can sustain 2nd tier football then surely so can we. Similar sized clubs to us such as Qots, Morton and Raith have been able to sustain 2nd tier football so I don’t see why we can’t.

McCall is 100% not the man to lead us. His first season he done exactly what was expected and kept us up although he made it harder than it needed to be. 2nd season he got us promoted. We had the 2nd biggest budget in the league and finished exactly where we should of. We however shat the bed after Christmas and we’re really lucky to get up in the end. Third season was a complete cluster f**k from start to finish. Brought some amount of shite through the door and he really should of been sacked at the end of the season. 

This season we’ve built such a lopsided team. Inexperienced keeper(s), shocking defence, midfield with no creativity. The only saving grace is we’ve got a decent strike force who’ll bang goals in at this level. A pisspoor Raith team are going to win the league. 

ETA: If Reid was given the financial backing that McCall has he’d of kept us up. 

Who is the man to lead us forward then and 99% of our poorest results this season have happened at home and contributed to us being mid league on home form, meanwhile top of the league on away form due to an atmosphere worse than on the moon. The constant moaners who obviously expect us to play like Barca cause they go mental every time someone gives the ball away doesn't help either.

And look at last season aswell, when we were even absolutely rotten shit and it was still blatantly obvious that we were miles worse at home than on the road.

The problem here mainly is Somerset and the atmosphere i genuinely believe and something needs to be done in my opinion to rectify this. It also doesn't help that in this league half the ground is always empty.

Also although Higgins got a fair bit of slack i think it's apparent our defense has got even worse since he got crocked, i think RB with Ferguson is a weak spot and that showed yesterday i think at most and i do think McCall should have signed a defender in January. 

I agree that if Dumbarton can sustain 2nd tier football then so should we, i mean we've got just as big a fan base as Hamilton.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Over 2000 tickets sold for the Sevco game so far apparently. Can they sell the same again after yesterdays game. Hopefully that was part of the reason for the low attendance yesterday, along with the weather.

It'll be a sell out next week i'm pretty sure, think the allocation is 6500/3500 so we've only got another 1500 to go.

You'll get the folk getting them last minute plus if we don't snap them up quickly for SRE Rangers fans will, at least they'll give us money before getting ejected.

It takes some doing to blame piss poor defending on the atmosphere generated by our home support, rather than suggest it might be something to do with the man who coaches the team 4 days a week. Surely no one who isn’t a complete simpleton actually buys the “it’s the fans fault” pish?

35 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Who is the man to lead us forward then and 99% of our poorest results this season have happened at home and contributed to us being mid league on home form, meanwhile top of the league on away form due to an atmosphere worse than on the moon. The constant moaners who obviously expect us to play like Barca cause they go mental every time someone gives the ball away doesn't help either.

And look at last season aswell, when we were even absolutely rotten shit and it was still blatantly obvious that we were miles worse at home than on the road.

The problem here mainly is Somerset and the atmosphere i genuinely believe and something needs to be done in my opinion to rectify this. It also doesn't help that in this league half the ground is always empty.

Also although Higgins got a fair bit of slack i think it's apparent our defense has got even worse since he got crocked, i think RB with Ferguson is a weak spot and that showed yesterday i think at most and i do think McCall should have signed a defender in January. 

I agree that if Dumbarton can sustain 2nd tier football then so should we, i mean we've got just as big a fan base as Hamilton.

Perhaps Ayr teams could help create an atmosphere at home, maybe play with urgency, should be a prerequisite but I've not witnessed much of that since Barr's cash disappeared, when's the last time an Ayr side fired the kitchen sink onto the park for an extended period of a game at Somerset, even shite teams used to manage that in the past, imagine how many goals we'd have scored this season if we actually went for it.

19 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It takes some doing to blame piss poor defending on the atmosphere generated by our home support, rather than suggest it might be something to do with the man who coaches the team 4 days a week. Surely no one who isn’t a complete simpleton actually buys the “it’s the fans fault” pish?

I'm not saying the atmosphere is the only fault and indeed the state of our marking at set pieces every week makes me bemused as to what we actually do in training for four days a week and our fitness seems to have gone down since the start of the season. It's as if McCall is scared to let them train too much incase they get injured.

The injuries is another fiasco thing which must come down to his training methods cause injuries have always been an issue under McCall.

Wee Doc and wee Rab will be back soon and we’ll be ok , we really should have kept wee Gilly too .
Not the toughest or bravest but by was he good on the baw and what a passer .

We’ve got loads of options and depth with our tricky wee luvly on the baw wideys its just a pity we don’t have the same depth in defence .

Although if we cant put together a 4 man defence which is organised and drilled properly in that league and keep out the majority of those teams we have a real problem . Id love to know what they do in training .

We can’t be doing shaping or defending when you watch our defending this season which has been nothing short of shambolic .

Anyhows bonus game on Sunday which no one expects us to win , lets have a go and get behind the team , get the Somerset roar going . Bit of kids are united . Yassssssss Ayr .

2 hours ago, CopaMundials said:

Wee Doc and wee Rab will be back soon and we’ll be ok , we really should have kept wee Gilly too .
Not the toughest or bravest but by was he good on the baw and what a passer .

We’ve got loads of options and depth with our tricky wee luvly on the baw wideys its just a pity we don’t have the same depth in defence .

Although if we cant put together a 4 man defence which is organised and drilled properly in that league and keep out the majority of those teams we have a real problem . Id love to know what they do in training .

We can’t be doing shaping or defending when you watch our defending this season which has been nothing short of shambolic .

Anyhows bonus game on Sunday which no one expects us to win , lets have a go and get behind the team , get the Somerset roar going . Bit of kids are united . Yassssssss Ayr .

Mon the wee guys.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

This time next week, if Ayr beat Sevco, the same people slagging McCall now will be calling him "our best manager since Ally".

That'll say more about the list of shame we have as ex managers rather than anything about McCall.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

This time next week, if Ayr beat Sevco, the same people slagging McCall now will be calling him "our best manager since Ally".

I can assure you regardless of our result against Rangers I wont be calling McCalll "our best manager since Ally" as that would be a lie.

21 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We apparently only train 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. Not sure what the average is for full time teams but it does seem pretty low. 

Our 'full time' wages are probably pretty low as well, so perhaps not unreasonable. 

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

That'll say more about the list of shame we have as ex managers rather than anything about McCall.

In my time supporting Ayr we have had:

Gordon Dalziel

Campbell Money

Mark Shanks

Robert Connor

Neil Watt

Brian Reid

Mark Roberts

Ian McCall

A depressing list. Reid and McCall scrape pass marks. The rest were clowns. Dalziel was still a clown even though he had Bill Barr's money to spend.

In my time supporting Ayr we have had:
Gordon Dalziel
Campbell Money
Mark Shanks
Robert Connor
Neil Watt
Brian Reid
Mark Roberts
Ian McCall

A depressing list. Reid and McCall scrape pass marks. The rest were clowns. Dalziel was still a clown even though he had Bill Barr's money to spend.

McCall is the best from that list of haddies

Archived