Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Oh the luxury of having Moore on 19 goals as 3rd best striker. I just hope we can sign a centre back soon. 

Suppose its the Ayr way, last season...no strikers, this season, no defence.....everybody decent in midfield injured in Dec/Jan. Then over 4k turn up to either see us lift the trophy or watch us pump Dumbarton. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

It’s hard to compare from 20s football to first team. The only way we’ll find out is by giving them their chance. CB is probably the 1 position where we don’t really have someone ready to step up, got a few 16/17 year olds currently being bedded in to the 20s squad. With the midfield injuries, I do believe Faulds/McCowan should be given a chance to stake a claim.

The lad Jamie Ballantyne has impressed me at centre-back on the few occasions I've seen the U20s.

When we went full-time I expected that the five/six Academy players signed would form part of the first team, but realistically they're not: McCall doesn't consider them to be in the way he speaks and acts; they're in a different dressing room at Somerset Park during the week; even when our subs warm up at half-time you've got the Academy lads in one group and any senior players in another. Obviously, I don't know what the dynamic is like on a day-to-day basis but from the outside looking in it is a little dispiriting.

I agree a few of them should have featured more often. If Faulds, for example, had another 10-15 appearances under his belt this season (not necessarily starts) he'd be in a much better position to come in and play centre-midfield with the injuries we have. Admittedly, with McCowan, Murphy and Hilton there is stronger competition within the squad.

Regarding Avci though, its the same situation as we had with Shaun Newman - he's simply filling the bench. There was no way he was ever going to play, and from what I've heard he isn't even very highly rated. It was financial decision as much as anything and you can make your own mind up whether it was a good one or not...

46 minutes ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

"we have grinded the results out"

"grinded" WTF is that my old pepper pot?

Clearly over excited over grammar my old pepper pot, Doesn’t change the fact your McCall is hiding behind injuries/ poor discipline , performances etc  which results in him accusing other teams of poor professionalism . Anyway we will grinded the results out the rest of season .

2 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Clearly over excited over grammar my old pepper pot, Doesn’t change the fact your McCall is hiding behind injuries/ poor discipline , performances etc  which results in him accusing other teams of poor professionalism . Anyway we will grinded the results out the rest of season .

We shall see.

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

I still don't understand what your point is. He's currently seen as 3rd best in his position. It happens. Craig Moore is clearly seen as the 3rd best striker. McCalls job is to get the best 11 on the park that he can, to get us promoted. If Avci is a better keeper than Hart and Ruddy, he should be starting. If he isn't as good as one of them, he shouldn't be starting. It's as simple as that

My point is that if he isn't good enough to take over from a player having mare after mare (like earlier in the season) then he shouldn't be on the bench, if we go up it won't matter, if we don't we'll know who's responsible, personally I can't remember an Ayr manager making such a poor call as having a number 1 that's not ready and a back up that's not even close to said number 1, we really do like playing the cross our fingers game every season.

On 15/01/2018 at 13:38, ayrunitedfw said:

Lads, what would happen in the event that it was a playoff final between Dumbarton and ourselves? As far as I’m aware the highest ranking team (in this case Dumbarton) always gets the advantage of being home in the 2nd leg. I’ve checked Wikipedia ( I know) and Dumbarton stadium apparently only holds 2020, I’d imagine we’d take easily 1500 to a second leg final. 

You'll get 750 tickets, possibly 850 if the uptake of hospitality is poor.

On 15/01/2018 at 15:30, Mgc1910 said:

Can you get a decent view of the pitch from the castle??

You can but the castle closes at 4pm. Something that those big, mad, mental, Fosters drinking St Mirren fans never let on. Suppose it doesn't make for as good a twitter post.

3 hours ago, Kitty_Boy said:

The lad Jamie Ballantyne has impressed me at centre-back on the few occasions I've seen the U20s.

When we went full-time I expected that the five/six Academy players signed would form part of the first team, but realistically they're not: McCall doesn't consider them to be in the way he speaks and acts; they're in a different dressing room at Somerset Park during the week; even when our subs warm up at half-time you've got the Academy lads in one group and any senior players in another. Obviously, I don't know what the dynamic is like on a day-to-day basis but from the outside looking in it is a little dispiriting.

I agree a few of them should have featured more often. If Faulds, for example, had another 10-15 appearances under his belt this season (not necessarily starts) he'd be in a much better position to come in and play centre-midfield with the injuries we have. Admittedly, with McCowan, Murphy and Hilton there is stronger competition within the squad.

Regarding Avci though, its the same situation as we had with Shaun Newman - he's simply filling the bench. There was no way he was ever going to play, and from what I've heard he isn't even very highly rated. It was financial decision as much as anything and you can make your own mind up whether it was a good one or not...

Jamie is a good composed ball playing centre half, but I’ll be surprised if he’s not away this year. I’m sure he’ll be an overage player, plus he has a good accounts job outside football that I can’t see him giving up to go proper full time to not even get on the bench. I’m sure him and Hilton are still part time. 

Yeah you’re right about McCowan etc having competition for places, but I think McCowan could fill the Crawford spaced gap in the midfield just now, but there’s no way he’ll go with him.

Avci is a much better all round keeper than Newman, watched them both last year and Avci had a better presence. What is also interesting is Hare-Reid is also there with the 20s, so we technically have 4 keepers on our books!

ETA - we have more goalkeepers than natural centre halves :lol:

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Jamie is a good composed ball playing centre half, but I’ll be surprised if he’s not away this year. I’m sure he’ll be an overage player, plus he has a good accounts job outside football that I can’t see him giving up to go proper full time to not even get on the bench. I’m sure him and Hilton are still part time. 

Yeah you’re right about McCowan etc having competition for places, but I think McCowan could fill the Crawford spaced gap in the midfield just now, but there’s no way he’ll go with him.

Avci is a much better all round keeper than Newman, watched them both last year and Avci had a better presence. What is also interesting is Hare-Reid is also there with the 20s, so we technically have 4 keepers on our books!

ETA - we have more goalkeepers than natural centre halves :lol:

Does McCall not see McCowan as a striker? 

40 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

A hope not because he’s an attacking midfield.

Im sure he has played up front whenever he came on.  Definately against Dumbarton

Im sure he has played up front whenever he came on.  Definately against Dumbarton

He came on against Queens Park and played wider but was up front against Clyde and East Stirling.

Similar player to Forrest I think.

In all fairness we have been extremely unfortunate with injuries and under normal circumstances our squad would have been more than capable of coping. Goalkeeper aside I still firmly believe that our midfield and Central defence were adequately covered but as said we've just been so unfortunate that the 2 positions worst hit are also the same positions that our also injured utility players could also have covered.

Once again our squad numbers are limited as the reality check is that we're in the 3rd tier of Scottish Football and do not carry a squad like English Premiership sides, as for throwing in the young untested guys, well, if needs must then what option do we have as what's the point in having them otherwise ?

Having said that, maybe  guys like me are still used to the old resrve team / youth team setup as opposed to the modern academy where many of the players are never ever likely to make the grade............

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In all fairness we have been extremely unfortunate with injuries and under normal circumstances our squad would have been more than capable of coping. Goalkeeper aside I still firmly believe that our midfield and Central defence were adequately covered but as said we've just been so unfortunate that the 2 positions worst hit are also the same positions that our also injured utility players could also have covered.

Once again our squad numbers are limited as the reality check is that we're in the 3rd tier of Scottish Football and do not carry a squad like English Premiership sides, as for throwing in the young untested guys, well, if needs must then what option do we have as what's the point in having them otherwise ?

Having said that, maybe  guys like me are still used to the old resrve team / youth team setup as opposed to the modern academy where many of the players are never ever likely to make the grade............

I’m not convinced that McCall isn’t at least partially to blame for these injuries. 

7 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Depends on what the training regime is like and if that is having an effect.

Given the fact reoccurring injuries seem to be a theme of his tenure I’d suggest it’s not a coincidence. 

Given the fact reoccurring injuries seem to be a theme of his tenure I’d suggest it’s not a coincidence. 

Yeah I can’t remember the last time we went through a spell where we had 3 or 4 key players out injured apart from this season and two years ago.

Perhaps training is too intense but you’ve got to remember that Docherty and Crawford have had numerous injury problems before McCall was ever manager.

Archived