Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

She complained last season when we initially signed Hart as she felt Lyle should be back up to Fleming.

Then when Hart was making mistakes she was raging saying McCall is showing no trust in the youngsters by not playing Lyle.

If I was Lyle I’d be embarrassed if a family member was making comments on social media saying they weren’t happy I wasn’t playing but then again she’s from Stranraer so she’s no the brightest.

I would be less than impressed if I was a relative of Avci.

Why? He has a manager who thinks someone else is currently a better option for playing in the first team. Similar to hundreds of other players in the country. If you cant deal with that then maybe being a footballer is the wrong career choice.

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Why? He has a manager who thinks someone else is currently a better option for playing in the first team. Similar to hundreds of other players in the country. If you cant deal with that then maybe being a footballer is the wrong career choice.

When the manager watches someone throwing away goals and still plays him he's basically saying Avci is shite, my child wouldn't be playing under such a manager.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

When the manager watches someone throwing away goals and still plays him he's basically saying Avci is shite, my child wouldn't be playing under such a manager.

He's a grown man and can make his own decisions on if he wants to stay or leave. Having his sister posting tears and snotters on social media or his dad wading in to the managers office to tell him he should be playing would be utterly embarrassing and I'd be fuming if that happened to me. Imagine the stick you'd get at training.

No he’s saying he’s clearly not ready. Look at the stick that Hart got for his mistakes. A guy even sent him a message telling him not to bother playing ffs.

That’s enough to destroy your confidence especially if you’re only a young guy just starting out.

If Avci has played and made a mistake 100% McCall would’ve got stuck for playing him.

No he’s saying he’s clearly not ready. Look at the stick that Hart got for his mistakes. A guy even sent him a message telling him not to bother playing ffs.

That’s enough to destroy your confidence especially if you’re only a young guy just starting out.

If Avci has played and made a mistake 100% McCall would’ve got stuck for playing him.

Spot on. And the flip side of this is that had we rushed through the signing of an experienced free agent after the deal to keep Fleming fell through (Hutton / Smith / Anyone else) and the new guy had made some errors, folk would be screaming about not having given Hart a chance, considering he had played a full season in league 2 then sat on our bench for a season.

My take on it is that McCall probably expected Fleming to sign and he would have been number 1 - can't remember exactly when he left but the whole thing seemed to rumble on for ages. The fact that he left quite late plus Hart looking solid enough in the 4 League Cup games meant McCall gambled by not prioritising a new keeper. Time will tell if that proves too costly.

19 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Spot on. And the flip side of this is that had we rushed through the signing of an experienced free agent after the deal to keep Fleming fell through (Hutton / Smith / Anyone else) and the new guy had made some errors, folk would be screaming about not having given Hart a chance, considering he had played a full season in league 2 then sat on our bench for a season.

My take on it is that McCall probably expected Fleming to sign and he would have been number 1 - can't remember exactly when he left but the whole thing seemed to rumble on for ages. The fact that he left quite late plus Hart looking solid enough in the 4 League Cup games meant McCall gambled by not prioritising a new keeper. Time will tell if that proves too costly.

Well we can then flip it around like this. McCalls not interested in using our youth players, not interested in trying to developer our own, so the squad we had at the start of the season really looked like:

Hart, Geggan, Fergusson, Boyle, Reid, Rose, Higgins, McDaid, McGuffie, Forrest, Docherty, Adams, Crawford, Gilmour, Moore, Moffat, Shankland (To an extent)

No back up keeper, no real diver for left back, one injury to a centre back and we would have a problem. Given Crawford, Docherty, Adams and Moore’s injury records, that’s a piss poor squad depth. Especially when 2 don’t train 60% of the time. 

McCall knew the situation with Fleming from the start of the summer, why he let it drag on for as long as it did baffles me. He knew he couldn’t commit to 3/4 days of training, but pissed about and eventually Peterhead offered him similar terms and has Willie Gibson to car share (lost his car share for us with Murphy) and had an easy option to make.

Remember David Mitchell who we had that was never given the chance. Done well on loan at Stranraer, came back and signed a pre contract with them and went to them since he was given a chance there. Not saying this will happen with Avci, but we miss manage our youth players. Christ we nearly lost Crawford thanks to Roberts. We did lose Longridge and he’s not looked back.

You maybe watch more of the U20's than I do so I can't really comment. Comparing academy guys to similar aged players in their position - is Avci is better than Hart / Waite better than Ferguson / Murphy better than Shankland / Faulds better than McDaid / an u20 cb (cant think of any offhand) better than Rose? If so, then yes McCall should be called out for not playing them. I'm not convinced that they are though.

I do agree re: letting the Fleming situation drag on however. It never seemed like it was going to work out.

You maybe watch more of the U20's than I do so I can't really comment. Comparing academy guys to similar aged players in their position - is Avci is better than Hart / Waite better than Ferguson / Murphy better than Shankland / Faulds better than McDaid / an u20 cb (cant think of any offhand) better than Rose? If so, then yes McCall should be called out for not playing them. I'm not convinced that they are though.

I do agree re: letting the Fleming situation drag on however. It never seemed like it was going to work out.

The Fleming situation was handled badly. McCall should’ve given Fleming a week at most to decide if he was staying and after that should’ve found a replacement.

However I think most fans did say that Hart was good enough to be our first choice at the start of the season.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It’s hard to compare from 20s football to first team. The only way we’ll find out is by giving them their chance. CB is probably the 1 position where we don’t really have someone ready to step up, got a few 16/17 year olds currently being bedded in to the 20s squad. With the midfield injuries, I do believe Faulds/McCowan should be given a chance to stake a claim.

Re: blooding youngsters - it's worth remembering that only 6 months ago plenty of folk on here were slating McCall for keeping Crawford. Another example of someone being thrown in at an early age and learning his trade, but being judged by a lot of fans based on his early performances.

13 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Re: blooding youngsters - it's worth remembering that only 6 months ago plenty of folk on here were slating McCall for keeping Crawford. Another example of someone being thrown in at an early age and learning his trade, but being judged by a lot of fans based on his early performances.

I remember that some people were annoyed that we kept Crawford but let Cairney go. :lol:

Archived