Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Somerset 2010 said:

No word on SFA meeting?

It was a preliminary hearing today so id expect nothing on that basis.  Unless the club were told if they accepted it they would only recieve a censure and just went along with it.  

Ideal scenario is the Raith game being off today, it’d pile the pressure right on them.

Wouldn’t fancy having to travel down to Stranraer & Airdrie midweek during the winter needing 3 points in both matches.

Am I right in saying Airdrie have a plastic pitch? Let’s hope the surrounding areas are icy as f**k

So far this season we’ve scored 3 late winners in league matches.

Vs Stranraer, Alloa and Queens Park.

Just shows what a difference full time football makes when the team can keep playing to the whistle when other teams are tired and lose concentration.

Ideal scenario is the Raith game being off today, it’d pile the pressure right on them.

Wouldn’t fancy having to travel down to Stranraer & Airdrie midweek during the winter needing 3 points in both matches.

Am I right in saying Airdrie have a plastic pitch? Let’s hope the surrounding areas are icy as f**k

Raiths game against Stranraer has been moved to a Saturday. Would be surprised if the game today was off.

There’s no snow on the pitch just a bit of frost but Airdrie fans are saying it’ll go ahead.

Raiths game against Stranraer has been moved to a Saturday. Would be surprised if the game today was off.

There’s no snow on the pitch just a bit of frost but Airdrie fans are saying it’ll go ahead.

Fair do’s, wishful thinking! MON THE DIAMONDS

In the Scottish S*n 

IAN McCALL’S Wikipedia page adds five years on to his age — and cuts two inches off his height.

But the Ayr United boss, whose side are flying high at the top of League One and are top scorers in British football, has the measure of where his career will take him.

Ian McCall insists that Ayr could be his last job in management

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Ian McCall insists that Ayr could be his last job in management

McCall’s out of contract at the end of this season and doesn’t know if he’s ready to commit to another one in the dugout with the Honest Men.

But he does know he wants to stay in football in some capacity until he’s 60, out of loyalty to his Ayr chairman Lachlan Cameron.

And — contrary to the popular encylopaedic website — that’s seven years off, not two!

The former Dundee United and Partick Thistle manager — just named League One Manager of the Month for the second successive month — admitted: “I’m not sure yet what I want to do at end of this contract.”

The Ayr boss picked up Manager of the Month for second straight month

KENNY RAMSAY - THE SUN GLASGOW
The Ayr boss picked up Manager of the Month for second straight month

BET £10 WITH SUN BETS AND GET A FREE £30 BET

“I want to stay involved in football until I’m 60, though whether that’s as a manager I don’t know.

“And despite what Wikipedia says, that’s a few years away.

“I’m 53, not 58. They have me at 5ft7 as well, so they couldn’t be more wrong!

MOST READ IN FOOTBALL

1 / 3

nintchdbpict000227754045.jpg?crop=953px%

MONEY TROUBLE

Commons speaks of Gers' interest and claims they 'didn't have any money'

nintchdbpict000361851673.jpg?crop=0px%2C

'SERIOUSLY WHY?'

Rangers fans react as Preston win the race for Ibrox target Louis Moult

nintchdbpict000362755699.jpg?crop=0px%2C

OLD HABITS

Caixinha already causing a stir at Cruz Azul after booting out long-serving star

nintchdbpict000369289269.jpg?crop=460px%

FARE-WELL

Motherwell star Louis Moult set to join Preston ahead of Rangers and Hibs

thebighoose.png?crop=157px%2C0px%2C1511p

'RIP'

Rangers fans pay tribute to George Barnett, famed for 'the big house must stay open'

pjimage-36.jpg?crop=0px%2C0px%2C600px%2C

SELL-TIC

Celtic could land John McGinn for £2.5m plus Liam Henderson says Michael Stewart

“I want to do something special for Lachlan, though. I wouldn’t mind doing something else within football.

“There are a few other things I’d like to do.

“I might want to continue as a manager but I’ve been doing it a long time. It’s been pretty much constant for 14 years, either in the Championship or the Premiership.

“As a manager, I’d think Ayr will be my last club. You never say never but I’m always conscious of what Lachlan did for me.

“He took a chance in terms of what had gone on for a wee while.

“The job was down to two people and he rang me from America.

“He spoke to me for an hour and a half and in that time we spoke about the job for eight minutes.

“And the next day he rang and said I had the job.

Ayr Utd have been enjoying their season so far

ANDY BARR - THE SUN GLASGOW
Ayr Utd have been enjoying their season so far

“I’d say I have all the drive without the ambition — I’ve been through all that.

“I don’t feel I have any lack of drive but I lost it when I was out of the game.

“I was out for three and a half years. But I had to sort my own life out and I did that.

“But now, while I’ve no ambition whatsoever to leave Ayr, I have a real desire to leave them as a strong community club.

“I think Ayr can be a thriving Championship club and that’s how I want to leave them. We have the support there to do that and they are, by and large, great.

“You get a feeling for clubs and there are a lot of really good people there. They all have a feel for the club and it’s a real good, old-fashioned, football club.

“The other club that’s close to my heart isThistle.

“I had four years there, but I was living in the west end of Glasgow and I’m not sure that, long term, was good for my job.

McCall previously spent time at Partick Thistle as manager

McCall previously spent time at Partick Thistle as manager

“Going down to Ayr three or four days a week is ideal.”

McCall has reached the stage where he’s become one of the elder statesmen of the Scottish game — and he’s conscious of the bizarre scenario which sees him yet to reach his third anniversary as Ayr boss but still with only SIX bosses in the leagues who have served their clubs for longer.

He said: “I think that typifies the way the game has gone since I started in management.

“I’ll be three years at Ayr on January 5 and there are only a few guys who’ve done more.

Ayr Utd are the top scorers in the whole of Britain right now

Ayr Utd are the top scorers in the whole of Britain right now

“There are guys I had as players who have become managers and who are in some cases out of work. I’m very surprised Jim McIntyre’s out of the game.

“Derek McInnes is doing well too at Aberdeen.

“But there are younger ones who are good. We’ve played Albion Rovers and I was impressed with how Brian Kerr, a guy in his mid-30s, had them playing.

“I can’t take any credit for trying to imprint a philosophy on how we play. I’m not really sure what that means.

“Any manager just wants to find a way to win games. But we’ve been breaking records and even when I had a really good Falkirk team, and a good Dundee United team for a spell, I never had a period like this.

“But I’m conscious that even with the winning run we’ve had, we’re still not miles ahead of Raith.”

Rather worrying article in the Sun then about McCall.

Sounds like he's been offered an extension but isn't convinced by it,  surprised that his contract is up at the end of this season because i thought he'd signed an extension last year which would take him through this season and next season.

Archived