Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

I seem to remember in the mid eighties we jumped the wall and walked along the track and back over.  Have I imagined this or can any older posters confirm? 

Usually to fight with Morton, St Johnstone and Falkirk

11 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Usually to fight with Morton, St Johnstone and Falkirk

Saints and Ayr had a great rivalry in the late eighties, when they were battling to get out of the old Second Division. In fact, this week marks 30 years since the first meeting of the season in which both were promoted; a crowd of 5,168 turned at Somerset Park to watch the game!

The rivalry fizzled out when Saints were promoted to the Premier Division, with the last big game between the teams being the Scottish Cup quarter-final in 1991, when Ayr brought about 2,000 fans to McDiarmid, fought back from two goals down but ended up losing 5-2.

Was always a shame that the really strong Ayr team from around the turn of the century never got promoted.

Saints and Ayr had a great rivalry in the late eighties, when they were battling to get out of the old Second Division. In fact, this week marks 30 years since the first meeting of the season in which both were promoted; a crowd of 5,168 turned at Somerset Park to watch the game!
The rivalry fizzled out when Saints were promoted to the Premier Division, with the last big game between the teams being the Scottish Cup quarter-final in 1991, when Ayr brought about 2,000 fans to McDiarmid, fought back from two goals down but ended up losing 5-2.
Was always a shame that the really strong Ayr team from around the turn of the century never got promoted.

I still have nightmares about Davie Purdie chucking three goals in after we'd fought back.

Worst goalie we ever had.

I remember going to that game as a 6 or 7 year old, was one of my first ever away games and had my face painted haha.

6 hours ago, Radford said:

Aye, get up early we were told, It felt like we were all there by half one.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

Other that Livingston, that was the last time I parked a Car in an 'Official Club Car park'

Archived