Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

I live in Asia...so obviously dont get to see any games but based on Saturday's highlights there is not any evidence of Ayr playing long ball football.

We do play good football in spells and all our goals have come from this but if we don’t score early in games then we get impatient and just knock it up the park leaving out the midfield.

That’s ok if you’ve got a 6ft 2 target man but we don’t so every hoof ball ends up coming back at us

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Asia...so obviously dont get to see any games but based on Saturday's highlights there is not any evidence of Ayr playing long ball football.

Saturday there was the first league game i've been at, having made 3 of the Betfred Cup games and i'd have to agree. Maybe sometimes we try to rush it a bit but I wouldn't in a million years say this season we were a long ball team. For those shouting for Brian Reid to come back - check some of the AUTV highlights on youtube from a few years back and come back and tell me we played better football back then.

The reason for that is when we do play football we're streets ahead of most teams, but for 80 minutes he hoofed the ball long and it clearly doesn't work.

Saturday there was the first league game i've been at, having made 3 of the Betfred Cup games and i'd have to agree. Maybe sometimes we try to rush it a bit but I wouldn't in a million years say this season we were a long ball team. For those shouting for Brian Reid to come back - check some of the AUTV highlights on youtube from a few years back and come back and tell me we played better football back then.

Up until the Forfar game we stuck to the philosophy of keeping the ball down and playing football. Since the we aimlessly punting it long in hope of exploiting slow back lines which is clearly not working

As for Reid, why do Ayr fans when talking about a new manager always compare to previous managers or players with previous connections with the club? Why not look at managers making a name for themselves at clubs with smaller budgets(Dave MacKay) or a manager looking to rebuild theirselves (Hartley). We're full time now which as well as attracting better players also appeals to better managers. I'd give McCall till Xmas but that's only because we were stupid enough to stick with him this season.

27 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Not sure whether this comment is aimed at me but just because I said Reid achieved more at Ayr United than McCall has/will doesn't mean I want Reid back. He left at the right time when things were starting to go stale. 

Not sure whether this comment is aimed at me but just because I said Reid achieved more at Ayr United than McCall has/will doesn't mean I want Reid back. He left at the right time when things were starting to go stale. 

I wasn't aiming it anyone in particular and probably worded it slightly wrongly anyway.. Was more trying to say that on one hand you have some folk, possibly yourself included saying Reid achieved more and that he was a better manager, but then have others complaining that McCall plays long ball / pish football.

Point being you can't please everyone as some of Reids teams were utterly brutak to watch and generally had us at a similar level to now, ie promoted without winning league then straight back down. I just feel the current set up / squad has more potential to actually go up and stay there.

My annual attempt of trying to build an ex- Ayr United team on Fifa Ulltimate Team will start on Thursday, off the top of my head I can think of:

Ross McCrorie (Rangers)

Kevin Nisbet (Partick Thistle)

Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)

Stuart Bannigan (Partick Thistle)

Craig Conway (Blackburn)

Danny Lafferty (Sheff United)

Nicky Devlin (Walsall)

Jamie Thomas (Burnley)

Darian MacKinnon (Hamilton)

Ryan Connelly (Shamrock Rovers) 

Anyone I've missed?

My annual attempt of trying to build an ex- Ayr United team on Fifa Ulltimate Team will start on Thursday, off the top of my head I can think of:
Ross McCrorie (Rangers)
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
Craig Conway (Blackburn)
Nicky Devlin (Walsall)

Anyone I've missed?

Jamie Thomas (Burnley)

16 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Jamie Thomas (Burnley)

Will he be in it, thought he was just in Burnley's youth team. I'll add him in the hope.

Forgot about Darian MacKinnon (Hamilton) and turns our Ryan Connelly, the ginger winger we had on loan from Derby under Brian Reid now plays for Shamrock Rovers. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Ross McCrorie (Rangers)

Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)

Craig Conway (Blackburn)

Nicky Devlin (Walsall)

Jamie Thomas (Burnley)

Darian MacKinnon (Hamilton)

Ryan Connelly (Shamrock Rovers) 

Anyone I've missed?

Only one I see missing is Peter Cherrie who is at Bray Wanderers.

Already tried to do this myself but unfortunately neither Thomas or McCrorie are in it so I don't think it's possible to reach 11 unless you use the term ex Ayr United loosely and then you can include a couple of others.

Archived