Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart has looked pretty ropey at cross balls all season.  I at least thought he was a decent shot stopper, but that's 3 howlers in 2 league games.  Maybe beung harsh, but the Montrose goal was another free kick that went in on his side of the goal.  The problem is we don't even have a proper backup so it's not as if we can just drop him for a couple of games.

PS To even mention Hart in the same breath as Finbogasson is just plain embarrassing.  

27 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Hart has looked pretty ropey at cross balls all season.  I at least thought he was a decent shot stopper, but that's 3 howlers in 2 league games.  Maybe beung harsh, but the Montrose goal was another free kick that went in on his side of the goal.  The problem is we don't even have a proper backup so it's not as if we can just drop him for a couple of games.

PS To even mention Hart in the same breath as Finbogasson is just plain embarrassing.  

I'd be throwing the other boy on regardless, that's 3 goals that a decent junior keeper would expect to get.

I've only managed to see one game this season and that was the glorious rain-soaked floodlit extravaganza against our dear friends from 12 miles up the road. I was impressed by Hart's shot-stopping and the fact he coped well with the derby pressure and managed to ignore the grotesque feeling of 2500 DKBs breathing down his neck behind the goal.

That one game suggested to me that Hart has the potential to cut it at this level. I think the guy needs the support of the fans rather than becoming the latest hate figure among the Somerset crowd. At least Chris Aitken, Robbie Crawford, Brian Gilmour etc had the luxury of being able to hide on the park when the support turn against them - dishing out the same treatment to our goalie would only make things worse.

3 clangers in 2 league games, any semi competent opponent will be shooting on sight against him, he's nearing the "worst goalie I've seen in an Ayr strip" stage and the season's barely started.

No doubt we'll be scrambling about in late January looking for a keeper to save our season.

C'mon, he's no Peter Cherrie!

Just noticed your other post too - a run of the mill amateur keeper should be saving both of those!

Both goals were relatively comfortable saves but for terrible positioning. Throw in lack of presence and flapping at cross balls there is a lot of work needing done here. Would start with Avici next week and  see if he can take his chance. 

35 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

C'mon, he's no Peter Cherrie!

Just noticed your other post too - a run of the mill amateur keeper should be saving both of those!

I did change from amateur to junior to avoid all the usual hand-wringing  on here, as for Cherrie, we'll see, if he's left in nets and continues to make errors his confidence will disappear completely.

I did change from amateur to junior to avoid all the usual hand-wringing  on here, as for Cherrie, we'll see, if he's left in nets and continues to make errors his confidence will disappear completely.

His confidence will also disappear if we drop him for the youth team goalie after 5 games.

If McCall continues to show faith in him (which he will) then I think he'll get better.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

His confidence will also disappear if we drop him for the youth team goalie after 5 games.

If McCall continues to show faith in him (which he will) then I think he'll get better.

All that would say to me as number 2 is that the manager thinks I'm utter shite, time to move on, that would be my advice if I was Avci's parents, I don't know how many times over the last 15 years that this sort of scenario occured but it usually ends up with us turning to shit as we eventually depend on those on the bench and all we've told them by our actions is that they're even worse than the player that's been playing like shite for months.

All that would say to me as number 2 is that the manager thinks I'm utter shite, time to move on, that would be my advice if I was Avci's parents, I don't know how many times over the last 15 years that this sort of scenario occured but it usually ends up with us turning to shit as we eventually depend on those on the bench and all we've told them by our actions is that they're even worse than the player that's been playing like shite for months.

No it shows that he's not ready to be thrown into the mix.

The problem is that if we drop Hart for Alloa his confidence will be shattered. Then if Avci plays and has a bad game, which there is a good chance he will as he's unproven at any level of senior football, then his confidence will take a knock.

It's part and parcel with every young player that they will make mistakes until they get to a level of consistency. Forrest and McGuffie are still at that stage as well tbf. It's just unfortunate for Hart that he's a goalie and most mistakes he makes will result in a goal scoring opportunity.

The problem is that if we drop Hart for Alloa his confidence will be shattered. Then if Avci plays and has a bad game, which there is a good chance he will as he's unproven at any level of senior football, then his confidence will take a knock.

It's part and parcel with every young player that they will make mistakes until they get to a level of consistency. Forrest and McGuffie are still at that stage as well tbf. It's just unfortunate for Hart that he's a goalie and most mistakes he makes will result in a goal scoring opportunity.

Why do we have a number 1 that's not ready and a number 2 that's not even ready to stand in when required?

Why do we have a number 1 that's not ready and a number 2 that's not even ready to stand in when required?

Because the manager feels that Hart has got the ability to play at this level but knows that he'll make a few mistakes along the way.

6 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Because the manager feels that Hart has got the ability to play at this level but knows that he'll make a few mistakes along the way.

So what happens in another 2 or 3 weeks if we're mid-table and his form continues?

16 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

There is a lot of confidence shattering going on here. Perhaps we need a counsellor brought into the backroom staff. Worth noting Hart was punted by Celtic and found the inner strength to carry on in football. Who's to say a few weeks on the bench might not make him more determined to win his place back. Whilst I agree Avici is liable to make an error he may also have a few good games that provide belief he can step up in the future. 

Your asking the wrong person but I'll go out on a limb and say that won't happen.

Feel free to quote me if it does though

I'm not convinved, there's no other position on the park where we'd continue to play youngsters who're having nightmare after nightmare.

Hart might come good in the long term, but it's blatantly obvious he's not up to it at the moment.  I don't think we're doing the player any favours by persevering with him as things just get worse.  If we are serious about challenging for the title, then we need to accept that our 1st team can't be used as a development environment for under-performing players, whatever their age.  

16 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Hart might come good in the long term, but it's blatantly obvious he's not up to it at the moment.  I don't think we're doing the player any favours by persevering with him as things just get worse.  If we are serious about challenging for the title, then we need to accept that our 1st team can't be used as a development environment for under-performing players, whatever their age.  

Our first team has to be used for developing players, unless you think they pop out of the academy fully formed.

Even the premier league champions develop under-ready players in their first team. Look at the difference Kieren Tierney makes for Scotland now compared to how he played when he first got a chance at Celtic a few years ago.

Archived