Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

We've gone from being a side with pace, flair, directness and constant bombardment of teams to this tippy tappy sideways and backward passing with no intention of trying to beat a player and just lump the all forward. We have too many passing midfielders in the team and not enough who want to drive forward from centre mid. We need another striker as well. Out of the 11 I thought Ferguson was the only real player with pass marks last night.

Thought Ferguson had a great game last night. If he keeps that up it'll be interesting to see who gets that position out of him and Geggan, as I think Geggan has been better there than he has been in midfield.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Funny that the same people who are complaining about others moaning about McCall after a couple of losses, are the same ones who after one league win, and a few cup games, were doing the opposite and lavishing praise for McCall as the right man for the job.

Football fans are fickle, we all know that, but it would become rather absurd if we sacked a Manager every time we had a poor performance or lost a match. Christ, we'd almost be like the English Premiership / Championship !!!

The facts are that we surpassed our expectations by not only qualifying but winning our League Cup group and of course beating our greatest rivals who play 2 leagues above us in the process.

We're sitting with 9 points from 12 in the League, only 1 point behind the title favourites and we've been playing good football and scoring lots of Goals in the process.

We've just been knocked out a competition that the majority have described as a joke and a big distraction.

Seriously, sometimes you just lose games or draw games, it happens, but for some reason nobody seems able to accept that nowadays. Ally MacLeod, George Burley, Simon Stainrod, Gordon Dalziel, they all had far better teams and far bigger budgets and they all lost plenty of games and at times looked as if they had "no plan B" so really, I'd be careful what some of you wish for as getting rid of McCall could end us up with another Mark Shanks or Campbell Money etc, etc...........

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

As farcical as it was to go out to Montrose, let's not pretend they even remotely deserved to get through. They sat in for 118 minutes and were extremely lucky to only concede once, so McCall is correct in that, on another day, we could have scored 4 or 5. The concern I think is that the majority of teams will look at the way Arbroath and Montrose stifled our attacking threat and do the same. 

Oooft, sour grapes or what. At the end of the day we won the game and therefore do deserve to go through.

5 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Oooft, sour grapes or what. At the end of the day we won the game and therefore do deserve to go through.

You're right, we're bloody Ayr Utd not Real Madrid and the arrogant attitude is out of order. Good Luck Montrose and we certainly can't blame you for playing to your strengths and moan when we can't break you down.

3 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Not sour grapes at all, my point was that, on the balance of play, you couldn't make a case for Montrose being the better team. You had a game plan and were excellent in sticking to it,but the reality is that Montrose, after going ahead after 2 minutes, didn't really do much else in an attacking sense. It wasn't a dig and I wish you the best of luck in the next round.

38 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We're sitting with 9 points from 12 in the League, only 1 point behind the title favourites and we've been playing good football and scoring lots of Goals in the process.

We've been playing ok in the league.

We've just been knocked out a competition that the majority have described as a joke and a big distraction.

It's a joke and distraction until you play your 1st 11 and get pumped out by a lower league team, I would have played the starting 11 last night because they were so terrible on Saturday, when you do that YOU HAVE TO WIN.

Seriously, sometimes you just lose games or draw games, it happens, but for some reason nobody seems able to accept that nowadays. Ally MacLeod, George Burley, Simon Stainrod, Gordon Dalziel, they all had far better teams and far bigger budgets and they all lost plenty of games and at times looked as if they had "no plan B" so really, I'd be careful what some of you wish for as getting rid of McCall could end us up with another Mark Shanks or Campbell Money etc, etc...........

There are flaws in this side that need addressed if we're aiming to win the league, these were apparent against Albion Rovers & Forfar, most chose to look at the scoreline rather than what they actually saw in those 2 90 minutes.

If we're just aiming for the play-offs fine, this team will do, if we're not, we need players as our plan B on Saturday consisted of high balls to small players after allowing the other defence to regroup, I've never seen that plan being successful at Somerset.

17 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Not sour grapes at all, my point was that, on the balance of play, you couldn't make a case for Montrose being the better team. You had a game plan and were excellent in sticking to it,but the reality is that Montrose, after going ahead after 2 minutes, didn't really do much else in an attacking sense. It wasn't a dig and I wish you the best of luck in the next round.

Fair does, apologies for being a sarcy dick!!

49 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Thought Ferguson had a great game last night. If he keeps that up it'll be interesting to see who gets that position out of him and Geggan, as I think Geggan has been better there than he has been in midfield.

He'll be in there now as Geggan will have to go into centre mid now Adams and Docherty are out.

4 league games in and missing they 2, who'd a thought it...

IMG_0838.GIF.76485c20d7d4fa186f9bb5db8b6465ce.GIF

Would certainly suggest our respective teams thrive on the opposition having a go which sadly we'll probably not see much of this season. Prior to the start of the season some of our better performances came against Dundee and Dundee United in the cup and on the flip side we toiled for large chunks of the game against Forfar when they stuck every player behind the ball after going down to 10 men. It's a frustrating game to watch but something both clubs will need to get used to especially when teams wise up to the fact we're both scoring a decent tally of goals and won't want to get a hammering by coming out all guns blazing.

Heehaw is decided yet. I can see both clubs swapping between 1st and 2nd throughout the season even if you guys are having a bit of a blip at the moment. Injuries/suspensions are going to be huge factors for both teams imo. We know full well the annoyance of losing a key player from this diddy cup having lost our 1st choice keeper and now it's yourselves with your captain. 

Interesting times ahead.

Football fans are fickle, we all know that, but it would become rather absurd if we sacked a Manager every time we had a poor performance or lost a match. Christ, we'd almost be like the English Premiership / Championship !!!
The facts are that we surpassed our expectations by not only qualifying but winning our League Cup group and of course beating our greatest rivals who play 2 leagues above us in the process.
Seriously, sometimes you just lose games or draw games, it happens, but for some reason nobody seems able to accept that nowadays. Ally MacLeod, George Burley, Simon Stainrod, Gordon Dalziel, they all had far better teams and far bigger budgets and they all lost plenty of games and at
times looked as if they had "no plan B" so really, I'd be careful what some of you wish for as getting rid of McCall could end us up with another Mark Shanks or Campbell Money etc, etc...........

Careful what you wish for

Comparing McCall to previous managers

[emoji23][emoji23] it's last season all over again where fans believe theirs nothing better out there and McCall can only be compared to past failures

Careful what you wish for

Comparing McCall to previous managers

[emoji23][emoji23] it's last season all over again where fans believe theirs nothing better out there and McCall can only be compared to past failures

Do you think we should get rid of McCall?

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you think we should get rid of McCall?

Far too early for that, we're not a million miles away but we do need players.

Ffs folk were ready for tugging him aff two weeks ago calm doon .yes it was disappointing sat and last night but we are ayr united no real madrid .and we could and probably should have scored 3 or 4 last night not his fault they missed some sitters .should have kept moffat on yes maybe we would have got the goal .alan forest has really lost it

Beaten by a decent Arbroath side.

Knocked out of the diddy diddy cup by Montrose.

Hardly a crisis.

Beat Raith and we are top of the world again.

But seriously, it's a long season and, looking back so far it's been an enjoyable start.

Crowds are up and it's been great with the travelling support that we have taken far and wide.

Keep the chins up folks.

The time to worry about our season is if we slip out of the top 4.

As long as we are challenging for top spot between us and Raith, that is all that we can realistically ask for.

Anything else is being too greedy or unrealistic.

We really need to unite as supporters ano back the players and the manager.

We need them to perform as best as they can to make out Saturdays bearable.

"It's a heartache......."

Archived