Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Partick have just announced the signings of Miles Storey and Connor Sammon, both strikers. I'd imagine they'll now probably be looking to loan out Niall McLaughlin and Kevin Nisbet. 

We never found out who the Partick youngster that McCall was keen on.

Maybe it's the boy McLaughlin ??

35 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Partick have just announced the signings of Miles Storey and Connor Sammon, both strikers. I'd imagine they'll now probably be looking to loan out Niall McLaughlin and Kevin Nisbet. 

I don't know about his attitude but I think, as cover, Nisbet would score freely in our team in League One when he played.

If we are adding to the squad, we really need to make sure that they don't upset the balance and attitude the team has at present.

Everyone looks like they want the ball, want to play and want to entertain.  Most importantly they want to win and play to the last second.

We just didn't look that way last season for the most part and I think part of it was down to certain personnel.

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

If we are adding to the squad, we really need to make sure that they don't upset the balance and attitude the team has at present.

Everyone looks like they want the ball, want to play and want to entertain.  Most importantly they want to win and play to the last second.

We just didn't look that way last season for the most part and I think part of it was down to certain personnel.

It's amazing the difference that lesser opposition,confidence and moving the ball forward quickly has made, it's hard to judge anyone in forward positions from last season, our midfield preferred to cuddle the ball for that long that the opposition usually had 8 or 9 in the box before they decided to go forward, on the occasions that we did break with pace it was usually through Devlin, who's blistering pace was usually negated by his final ball.

With Duffy signing for St Mirren i was wondering if Sutton will be leaving perhaps cause he must be surely low down the pecking order now. 

We know that McCall likes him as he tried to get him last season but don't know whether he'd drop down a league.

Another 3 goals and 3 points today...id be tempted to change almost the entire team for Wednesday in the cup. A good chance to rest Moore / McDaid / Moff / quite a few others and also see what some of the younger lads can do. Start the likes of Gilmour and Forrest for experience. Hardly matters a bit if we lose, plus gives an indication of how much we can actually rely on the younger lads going forward.

Another 3 goals and 3 points today...id be tempted to change almost the entire team for Wednesday in the cup. A good chance to rest Moore / McDaid / Moff / quite a few others and also see what some of the younger lads can do. Start the likes of Gilmour and Forrest for experience. Hardly matters a bit if we lose, plus gives an indication of how much we can actually rely on the younger lads going forward.

Changing the entire team would be daft.

But definitely rest a few players that look like they need it - and give a start to the fringe players.

Winning is a good habit, and we shouldn't be going all football manager to try and get players up to 100%.

Not the entire team but most of it. Personal opinion of course but id rather go out this cup and find that the likes of Ferguson, Murphy, Waite etc cant compete with a non league team than win it comfortably but have anyone like Moff / Moore / Geggan injured for Saturday, just for the honour of playing Motherwell u20's with a couple of over age players in the next round.

Joke of a tournament. Might as well learn something and give others some match experience / fitness.

FWIW i dont think McCall will, its just what id do. Would imagine Forrest, Reid, Gilmour and Ferguson will all start though as the senior guys who were sub today

Not the entire team but most of it. Personal opinion of course but id rather go out this cup and find that the likes of Ferguson, Murphy, Waite etc cant compete with a non league team than win it comfortably but have anyone like Moff / Moore / Geggan injured for Saturday, just for the honour of playing Motherwell u20's with a couple of over age players in the next round.

Joke of a tournament. Might as well learn something and give others some match experience / fitness.

FWIW i dont think McCall will, its just what id do. Would imagine Forrest, Reid, Gilmour and Ferguson will all start though as the senior guys who were sub today

In my mind it's not a first team competition - rest everyone IMO and play Forrest etc as you say.

Archived