Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Forrest and McGuffie can play out wide and offer a different dimension, as does Crawford. Our midfield is very interchangeable depending on opposition. Rose is absolutely fine starting at this level, as shown against Kilmarnock, he also played the majority of the Albion Rovers game. Geggan can also play the same role as Adams does absolutely fine.

On another note I'll be very disappointed if the club don't make an announcement about the challenge cup changes and say we're playing our 20's in it this year.

What Challenge Cup changes ?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two "mentors" being allowed to play for the colts. Whether or not it was allowed last year and not publicised is up for debate.

I don't think it was allowed last year but allowing colt teams is bad enough but now they're going to let first team players play with them is just ridiculous.

I wouldn't waste our best players in this competition unless there's a real chance of us getting to the semis at least. McCall said last night we'd play a few of the youngsters against East Stirling.

1320 Lichtie, You've probably read the posts about "strength in depth", can I ask you what size of pool Arbroath have ? and do you realistically have 2 reliable players to cover each position ?

What's more, would you expect whilst plying your trade in League 1, to have a massive squad packed with quality players ??

I honestly think some of you have been playing too much Football Manager games or thinking that Chelsea and Man City type of size squads is now the "norm" for all levels of Football.

I think not.........

3 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

McCall's had a good start to the season, however we'd have been completely justified binning him last year.

That's heresy, say five Hail Harkins and ten Our Father McCall for penance.

One league game and a pre season cup

So, last nights game counts as we have played a league game, however our previous results in the same competition don't count. Baffling logic.

What do you actually want? How many players do you want us to sign etc?

The only thing I'll agree on is that we need a striker. Before the start if the season I thought a winger too, but given McDaid has been like a new signing I don't see the need for that now.

So, last nights game counts as we have played a league game, however our previous results in the same competition don't count. Baffling logic.

What do you actually want? How many players do you want us to sign etc?

The only thing I'll agree on is that we need a striker. Before the start if the season I thought a winger too, but given McDaid has been like a new signing I don't see the need for that now.

I'm not counting last night as it was a bonus bit of money nothing else.

I want a different forward and a winger. McDaids been brilliant but my confidence in rest to cover injuries etc is thin. Moore and Moffat are two really good forwards but there very similar and I feel we're lacking a physical presence up front to change a game if we need to.

My problem is with everyone believing McCall is our savour. Last season his signings and tactics where terrible. He constantly spouted pish in interviews and hardly won a game from November onwards. That's one of the most terrible seasons I've witnessed at Somerset. No squad balance, rotten tactics, Andy O'Connell, Gary Harkins, No forwards for 8 months zero width or pace.

One league result and a couple of good results in a pre season cup doesn't change any of that.

I always read this page as a guest, it was a lot more uplifting than reading the drivel sprouted on both SRE pages. However, now is the time to post. 

Understand what everybody is saying about what is, or what is not in the squad. I'm not the biggest fan of McCall but there isn't an abundance of 'footballing' managers out there. 

We've been through worse than being put out the league cup! Being an Ayr fan isn't easy at the best of times but wait and be patient. 

Few more league games and then I'll provide constructive criticism, have a whinge or gloat. It's early days, well for this season anyway. 

Can't say I'm too fussed about last nights result, it's all about the league for me 'til the Scottish Cup starts,the League Cup has more than served it's purpose this season, no 1st teamer should be near the starting 11 for that diddiest of diddy cups that's coming up, a few injuries will far outweigh any financial benefits that we might gain.

It's time to let the last few seasons go as this has a wee chance of being a once in a generation season for us, it's time for McCall to seriously talk us up(100 goals etc etc etc) in an attempt to to attract some more punters through the doors, up to now I'd say this side deserve at least 1500/2000 this Saturday.

If we were coming up against guys like Stokes, Swanson, Ambrose, McGinn etc every week i'd be concerned. We aren't. Last night was a pumping we could have done without, but it was against a team of a far far higher standard that we are. It happebs. All in all, having beat Killie and won the other 3 games in some style, im prepared to say it was a successful enough campaign. Especially if the prize money helps bring in a new face

Although for what its worth i think we were too attacking yesterday. Id have been tempted to leave Moore on bench and play an extra midfielder. Hibs have been rattling in the goals

And yeah while a few more bodies would be excellent, assuming Crawford, Geggan and Adams are out for Saturday i'd still hope a line up of say Ferguson - Hart - Higgins - Boyle at back, McDaid - Gilmour - Docherty - McGuffie/Forrest (depending on fitness) in midfield and Moffatt and Moore up front should be good enough to get a result. Which considering you are taking 3 of the best players out isnt TOO bad.

Obv if the injuries start becoming serious long term ones its an issue - but thats then up to the manager to convince the chairman that its a worthwhile investment bringing some replacements in

Just watched the highlights from last night and would simply say we were completely outclassed by a team which showed the gulf of quality between the 2 leagues. 

The first goal looked like a sloppy one to concede with 2 guys going for the first ball and there then being a lucky bounce of Reid for it to fall to Stokes. 

Think there has been an over the top negative reaction to this result due to us doing so well in the group stage but people have to remember we were playing part timers in effect apart from Killie. We must now just move on to the league and hope we've not taken to much a beating last night which will effect Saturday's result/performance.

We are absolutely superb this season.

Don't let last night get anyone down.

Scored a barrow load and play in the third division.

Teams in this league will fear us for what we have done so far.

We are top of the league and we will stay there all season.

Archived