Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting news that Ayr Rugby Club might be moving to Dam Park. Surely Ayr Utd and the town's rugby team could share facilities either at Somerset or a purpose built stadium?

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Photo of the Ayr United 2017/2018 squad. Anyone able to identify the boys in the away top?

IMG_3385.JPG

Back row left to right - Reid, Adams, Avci, Hart, Rose, Higgins, Ferguson

Mid row - Moffat, Faulds, McCowan, Murphy, Hilton, Balfour, Waite, Geggan 

Front row - McGuffie, Boyle, Crawford, Doc, Forrest, Moore, McDaid

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

And our new striker on the far right of the front row....

Good prospect I've heard.

Interesting that we currently have a squad of 22 and 10 of them are players who have came through our youth system. Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie are most noteable graduates from our Academy and I hope 1 or 2 more make an impact this year like they guys have. 

ETA - I'm lying, we have a larger squad than that, 3 signed players are missing from that photo! Brian Gilmour, Jamie Ballantyne and Grant Thorburn.

Gilmour not there?

Gilmour not there?

Good shout, thought someone was missing.

Maybe he's leaving but I'd expect it's because he's still with Rangers part time and couldn't make the photo shoot

13 hours ago, ftk said:

Interesting news that Ayr Rugby Club might be moving to Dam Park. Surely Ayr Utd and the town's rugby team could share facilities either at Somerset or a purpose built stadium?

Absolutely not

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Absolutely not

I think if Ayr United and the Ayr Rugby Club had shared training facilities within the town, that would be more appealing. Like a training complex somewhere, never going to happen, but I think that would be much better.

On a side note, if we get a decent win v Clyde on Tuesday, id like to see McCall give 2 or 3 of the younger players a start v Annan. Let's face it, they're going to have to play at some point, maybe testing Waite out at right back, Ferguson at left back and giving either Faulds or Balfour a start in midfield with 1 or 2 of McCowan/Murphy/Hilton possibly having a chance in the forward line at some point.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

I think if Ayr United and the Ayr Rugby Club had shared training facilities within the town, that would be more appealing. Like a training complex somewhere, never going to happen, but I think that would be much better.

On a side note, if we get a decent win v Clyde on Tuesday, id like to see McCall give 2 or 3 of the younger players a start v Annan. Let's face it, they're going to have to play at some point, maybe testing Waite out at right back, Ferguson at left back and giving either Faulds or Balfour a start in midfield with 1 or 2 of McCowan/Murphy/Hilton possibly having a chance in the forward line at some point.

If we win our next two games the chances of us being seeded in the next round is extremly high. The 4 teams competing in Europe (Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone) and the top 4 group winners are seeded in the next round.

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If we win our next two games the chances of us being seeded in the next round is extremly high. The 4 teams competing in Europe (Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone) and the top 4 group winners are seeded in the next round.

Would it not be the top 4 teams in terms of league placements? I don't see Ayr being seeded and a Hearts/Motherwell/Hibs etc not being. From a money spinner prospective, we'd rather be unseeded I reckon.

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would it not be the top 4 teams in terms of league placements? I don't see Ayr being seeded and a Hearts/Motherwell/Hibs etc not being. From a money spinner prospective, we'd rather be unseeded I reckon.

Knock-out rounds
The eight group winners and four best runners-up progress to the second round, where they are joined by the four clubs competing in Europe - Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers and St Johnstone.

The seeded teams in the last 16 are the four European clubs and the four group winners with the highest points totals.

The tournament reverts to a traditional knock-out format from the second round onwards, with ties decided by extra time and penalties if the scores are level after 90 minutes

ETA: Taken from SPFL website.

From a winning it perspective I'd like us to be seeded.

This, why take a possible money spinner in the last 16 (which might not even happen) when you could have a much better chance of a quarter final and being a game away from Hampden.

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

This, why take a possible money spinner in the last 16 (which might not even happen) when you could have a much better chance of a quarter final and being a game away from Hampden.

Knowing our luck we would draw St Johnstone!

Archived