Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ShortSideCity said:

I can't remember if it was last season or the season before but just before he got injured, not long after the new year, he seemed to be playing in a more advanced role and driving forward. I don't know if that was deliberate from McCall but can remember thinking he was actually quite useful and showed more skill/finesse that people give him credit for

I'll not comment on his abilities,if you watch Ayr in and around the box last season then you'll see that Adams knows where to go better than most, including the forwards, I'd actually like to see him thrown up front when we're chasing with 10 or 15 to go.

I've probably mentioned this before but both Adams and Gilmour played in our "glorious failure" Scotland U19 Euro final against Spain. They were actually up against Juan Mata, Gerard Pique, Mario Suarez, Javi Garcia, Diego Capel, etc etc.

If only things had turned out a little different................

Link for anyone interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship

I've probably mentioned this before but both Adams and Gilmour played in our "glorious failure" Scotland U19 Euro final against Spain. They were actually up against Juan Mata, Gerard Pique, Mario Suarez, Javi Garcia, Diego Capel, etc etc.

Some half decent players that could have had good careers but as with so many young players Scotland had produced it never happened.

Was Adams with Killie when that was played ?

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

More interestingly, Adams played as a CB!

I'll not comment on his abilities,if you watch Ayr in and around the box last season then you'll see that Adams knows where to go better than most, including the forwards, I'd actually like to see him thrown up front when we're chasing with 10 or 15 to go.

Big Dougie McCracken style.

Just now, placidcasual said:

Big Dougie McCracken style.

Yep, got to be better than the 90+ minutes of same old same old we were invariably subjected to last season.

Well i don't want to jinks anything but so far so good and technically speaking we've played the two most 'difficult' teams in the group.

Although going by how Clyde done in the first half at Killie tonight i think they could give us a tough game next week, they've also got Goodwillie up front and i'm not sure if he's still much use or not.

16 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Well i don't want to jinks anything but so far so good and technically speaking we've played the two most 'difficult' teams in the group.

Although going by how Clyde done in the first half at Killie tonight i think they could give us a tough game next week, they've also got Goodwillie up front and i'm not sure if he's still much use or not.

We also outnumbered the Dumbarton fans which is pleasing.

Maybe all the guys who think that McCall was crazy resigning Crawford will finally see the light? He was always going to mature into a fantastic player just needs to find the nets little more and he'll be getting a big move somewhere.

Agreed, although still not sure what his best position is.

Game seems to pass him by in midfield, whereas I'm not convinced he's a winger.

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

My main worry was and still is the keeper. The jury is still out, I have faith in the manager but I would have rather gone with a more experienced guy.

I keep hearing this "more experianced" keeper needed line being used. Jordan Hart played a full season for Annan the season before last and was the best keeper in the league.. I also think he may have had a loan spell previously at Annan while still at Celtic. It's hardly a kid who hasnt played a minute of first team football that we are chucking in.

He also hasn't put a foot wrong the three times he's played for us (Edinburgh City, Killie and Dumbarton).

He looked a little shaky last night, but not worth panicking over, goalkeepers can make mistakes. Jordan Pickford had an absolute howler in one of his first few starts with Sunderland last season, but they kept faith with him and he ended up being their POTY, and was then sold for £30m. What Hart needs is for us to show the same faith in him right now rather than panic buy some other jobber just because they happen to have more 'experience'.

The first thing we have to do is get Crawfords contract extended, he can leave at the end of the year for nowt and he looks like he could be worth more than a development fee over than the coming months, It would be annoying for a player to be at the club from the age of 14 to leave 10 years later for nothing.

Archived