Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Harkins had to go it was pretty obvious that's who McCall was talking about at the end of the season when he was talking about people in the dressing room not giving their best, was sad to see Flemming go but Hart looks a real good prospect he was full of confidence on Friday, good thing about this squad is we have players who can play more than one position, if it clicks like Friday most week's we will be the team to beat.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we signed a new coach yet? I'm sure McCall said a while back he was looking to add one.

Harkins won't be missed if McDaid keeps up to that level, I was particularly impressed with how he teamed up with Geggan to neutralise the threat of JJ, imagine Harkins going up and down like that! Was looking to see what the Morton fans thought of him after the game yesterday but there doesn't seem to be much chat.

If that's our final squad for the season our biggest worry will be injuries, any more than 3 or 4 and we could be in bother.

Have we signed a new coach yet? I'm sure McCall said a while back he was looking to add one.
Harkins won't be missed if McDaid keeps up to that level, I was particularly impressed with how he teamed up with Geggan to neutralise the threat of JJ, imagine Harkins going up and down like that! Was looking to see what the Morton fans thought of him after the game yesterday but there doesn't seem to be much chat.
If that's our final squad for the season our biggest worry will be injuries, any more than 3 or 4 and we could be in bother.

Apparently he was already get called fat and lazy in his first few games.

Nothing changed there

4 hours ago, Meathead said:

In fairness, there are still a lot of question marks over Adams' ability. His passing technique is incredibly poor for a player at this level and the game seems to mostly pass him by in a footballing sense, which are particularly bad traits for a central midfielder. Friday night was the perfect setting for him since his only task was to round around bodying folk, but we need more than that in run of the mill league games where we should be looking to control possession. He's obviously a very handy squad player though, and I think he'd make a pretty good centre half at this level alongside someone with Higgins' intelligence, so quite keen to see how he gets on there while Rose and Reid are out.

IMHO players like Adams are not there to be great passers, they're there to set out the stall of the team, win balls and lay them off to team mates who can keep possession and pass the ball, he is to  Rossco as Doc's is to wee Evans.

If Adams had great passing ability he wouldn't be anywhere near a team in League One.

11 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

655ebcb4fbe05402dd54366972330b06.jpg
That's the original I posted on the appreciation thread.

Look at that huffy b*****d bottom left, black jacket and green zip.

Ha ha - get it right fucking up you!

11 hours ago, ayrmad said:

IMHO players like Adams are not there to be great passers, they're there to set out the stall of the team, win balls and lay them off to team mates who can keep possession and pass the ball, he is to  Rossco as Doc's is to wee Evans.

If Adams had great passing ability he wouldn't be anywhere near a team in League One.

I agree with you - Adams knows his role and does it well. And there will be games - such as Friday's - when that role will be exactly what we need in the middle of the park. My point though is that we should be looking to break down and play through the majority of the teams in this league, not to simply stop them from playing through us, and it's just not possible to do that with someone as one-dimensional as Adams playing as one of the central two. We need an all-rounder like Geggan, who can press the opposition (not as viciously as Adams, but still pretty well) while also being an excellent technical player, to partner Docherty on a week-to-week basis if we're to really get the most out of this team.

32 minutes ago, Meathead said:

I agree with you - Adams knows his role and does it well. And there will be games - such as Friday's - when that role will be exactly what we need in the middle of the park. My point though is that we should be looking to break down and play through the majority of the teams in this league, not to simply stop them from playing through us, and it's just not possible to do that with someone as one-dimensional as Adams playing as one of the central two. We need an all-rounder like Geggan, who can press the opposition (not as viciously as Adams, but still pretty well) while also being an excellent technical player, to partner Docherty on a week-to-week basis if we're to really get the most out of this team.

Think that's harsh on Adams. In the league above he was very one dimensional and didn't have the ability to do more so had a confined role. The last time in this league I seem to remember him winning the ball a lot and then driving forward trying to attack. If any of the weaker teams should decide to sit back then he may be more useful than Docherty as he can still break the play up but also push forward. 

Just speaking to a Motherwell fan whom I work with and he was saying he was surprised that they let David Ferguson go. Apparently he can play Centre half or both full back positions and although quite small for a Centre is very mobile. He reckoned that he did well when he played for the first team but didn't get a fair chance as kept being moved around and also stuck in to different formations. He reckons he'll be a stand out at League 1 level, so here's hoping.

Just speaking to a Motherwell fan whom I work with and he was saying he was surprised that they let David Ferguson go. Apparently he can play Centre half or both full back positions and although quite small for a Centre is very mobile. He reckoned that he did well when he played for the first team but didn't get a fair chance as kept being moved around and also stuck in to different formations. He reckons he'll be a stand out at League 1 level, so here's hoping.

I also spoke to a pal who is a motherwell fan. He said ferguson wasn't good but should do "ok" in league 1

Think that's harsh on Adams. In the league above he was very one dimensional and didn't have the ability to do more so had a confined role. The last time in this league I seem to remember him winning the ball a lot and then driving forward trying to attack. If any of the weaker teams should decide to sit back then he may be more useful than Docherty as he can still break the play up but also push forward. 

I can't remember if it was last season or the season before but just before he got injured, not long after the new year, he seemed to be playing in a more advanced role and driving forward. I don't know if that was deliberate from McCall but can remember thinking he was actually quite useful and showed more skill/finesse that people give him credit for

Interesting! 

Kilmarnock fans will pack out Somerset Park for next week's Ayrshire derby - after snapping up almost DOUBLE the amount of tickets as their Ayr United rivals.

Archived