Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Think this is harsh tbh. On his game he sets the tempo for us, and his passing is fine for league one. However my favoured pairing would still be Docherty and Geggan.

I've never seen Adams set the tempo. He's the muscle that sadly we often lack when he's not playing.

In terms of his passing I generally get the impression he doesn't actually like the football. Again, not really a criticism as it's easy for teams to bully their way through games.

And Doc sets the tempo...always.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Yip fair point strange that Meggat or Fleming couldn't be accommodated but Adams could.

Don't think it's strange at all. We train during the day when part-timers will be at work. As someone else said, Adams has the flexibility to attend Thursday and Friday or he wouldn't have been kept on.

I've never seen Adams set the tempo. He's the muscle that sadly we often lack when he's not playing.

In terms of his passing I generally get the impression he doesn't actually like the football. Again, not really a criticism as it's easy for teams to bully their way through games.

And Doc sets the tempo...always.

Sorry, don't think I was very clear. I meant he sets the tempo in terms of closing down etc.

Ooops all the player's really worked there socks off on friday .playing on the deck for once .no long hoof ball tae a lone striker .even brian gilmour had a good half hour .felt hart even though wasn't very busy looked great put in at the deep end and handled it well .proud of every one of them.not often you have tears of joy leaving the fitba

What a difference having no fat lazy harkins in our team .at first I thought he would boss next year but soo glad hes off we looked miles better than last season ,remember farid el alagui [emoji23]

Don't agree, Harkins was a class above most of our squad and would be a very useful player to have in this league. That said not sure where he would have fitted in and his wage was probably a burden.

I would love to see a photo of him doing that again at the very end of the celebrations.

On Harkins, I don't think we would have won that on Friday night with him in the side. McDaid showed all the skill that Harkins is capable of, but included work rate, pace and directness within that too.

Harkins?  Are we still having that "debate"?  The guy had no interest in playing for Ayr.  His presence was absolutely toxic.  Must have been soul destroying for the likes of Devlin to be running through brick walls when the 1st team coach can't even break a sweat.  

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Think this is harsh tbh. On his game he sets the tempo for us, and his passing is fine for league one. However my favoured pairing would still be Docherty and Geggan.

I don't think there's any disputing that he's excellent at closing people down and injecting a bit of fire into the team. But I also don't think we should get carried away about his role in the team. I would absolutely want him in midfield for any game in which we're likely to be up against it and need to stop the opposition from playing through us. But I think any team with aspirations of winning the league needs to be able to dictate possession in the middle of the park in a bog standard league game more than we're able to with Adams in there. I genuinely don't think I've ever seen him successfully complete a pass that even I couldn't have pulled off, and he doesn't make himself available to receive a pass often enough in any case.

I don't want this to seem like an attack on him, because he's clearly capable of being a big player for us and I'm glad we have him. I just don't think we should be relying on him in midfield as heavily to get us out of League 1 as we did last time, particularly when, as you said, Geggan (and possibly Crawford, depending on the context) would be a superior partner for Docherty. 

Archived